Child name/travel issue

MillerWRHS

My daughter has my last name hyphenated with her dad’s last name (my name comes first). Her father is immobile/bedridden and lives in Louisiana (we live in Tampa, FL). Father cannot forseably make it to a notary to get a letter signed and notarized that gives me permission to travel with her. She is 14 (today actually!).

I am a weird situation with the name and can’t find a direct answer about it. I know if names are completely different, I’d have to have the letter. If name the same, would be fine (likely) without it.

help!

One can arrange for a notary to come to one's home.

When we closed on a house in another state, the lender sent all the paperwork to us, and then had a notary show up for us to do the actual signing.  The guy said he had a bunch of "rounds" to make that day, from house to house...

IF that's what it takes, it might be easier and worth it, compared to going nuts without proper paperwork.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The names are not the issue. One parent cannot take a minor out of the country without permission of the other parent. The best way to solve the issue is to have a notary visit the father and get blanket permission.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

One can arrange for a notary to come to one's home.

When we closed on a house in another state, the lender sent all the paperwork to us, and then had a notary show up for us to do the actual signing.  The guy said he had a bunch of "rounds" to make that day, from house to house...

IF that's what it takes, it might be easier and worth it, compared to going nuts without proper paperwork.

GC

Thank you!

I am travelling with my son in July, without my husband, his father.

I was told I just need to have his father sign a form letter giving permission to bring his child out of the country.

Are you sure you need a notary? We all have the same last name.

6 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I was told I just need to have his father sign a form letter giving permission to bring his child out of the country.

My understanding is yes. A notary verified that who signed the letter is who actually signed the letter. Otherwise, I could just “sign” for her dad and no one would know any different.

• Like 1

A notary does not verify the contents of the document- they verify the signature. 

Also, I have traveled with my son 4 times, 3 times no one asked but one time they did. I don't think the risk, while small, is worth getting to the terminal and be denied boarding. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hopes4 said:

My sister in law cruised with her minor niece, different last names and had no problem.

I’ve cruised with my minor son without my husband and had no issues either.

as mentioned a couple times already.....    there's no problem \ issue until there is.

why risk an issue and denial of boarding because a couple people never had an issue......    getting something notarized is one of the simplest things to do (especially if they come to you)

I've never had an issue and been medically evacuated from a Caribbean Island but I will never travel without Travel Insurance.... 

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, K_e_short said:

A notary is not absolutely necessary, but if any questions arise it will make answering them easier. I notice that your location is Ottawa, so you should check with someone who is familiar with Canadian law to be sure.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zqvol said:

A notary is not absolutely necessary, but if any questions arise it will make answering them easier. I notice that your location is Ottawa, so you should check with someone who is familiar with Canadian law to be sure.

It was my travel agent that mentioned that a letter would be necessary. This is the first trip we're doing without his Dad (he was not a fan of cruising so we're leaving him at home 🙂

I'll be in contact with her when we get our travel documents for our March vacation and will ask the question. She seemed to be knowledgeable.

• Haha 1

We travel with our Grandson who has a different last name than his Mom and us. There is always potential for an issue if you don't have the paperwork in line. We took the notarized letter from his father, along with a photocopy of his fathers drivers license. I would never risk the possibility of not being able to board a ship for not having documentation. (and yes, that has happened to others, you can google it!)  

We just returned from the Getaway on a family vacation.  We had 3 cabins booked,my 3yr old grandson was booked in one cabin with my daughter (his aunt) and my grandson’s parents were in another cabin with my 8 mo. old grandson. My husband and I had the third cabin.

NCL emailed a document to my daughter to fill out and get my grandson’s parents to sign in order to have him stay in the cabin with her.  They never asked for it.

She did have an issue at the airport where the US boarder  guards ask for her permission paper for taking a minor over the boarder.  She explained she was travelling with his parents and the guard called them over and Ask to see their passports , asked them a few question and sent them on thru.  No issues coming back home to Canada.

So it’s random if asked for permission when travelling with a minor.  Myself I have always travelled with a notarized document when travelling with my daughter when she was a minor.  Never had to show it. But would rather be safe than sorry when I spent that much money on a vacation and was denied travelling.

We cruised recently and faced a similar situation. Long story short...as long as your name is listed in your daughter's birth certificate, you are fine and don't need any letter; that is the one thing customs checked very carefully. Make sure you bring the birth certificate.

If your name is not listed in her birth certificate, or if the minor is not your own (i.e. grandkids), then you definitely need a letter from both parents.

Edited by kopiko
grammatical errors

Here are NCL's requirements:

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent Form that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied. Both living parents/legal guardians must sign and complete this form and attach a copy of his/her driver's license or other government issued identification. Minors of the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form:

1. Download and Complete the Parental Consent Release form (PDF)

Minors or the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form

1. Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver’s License or other Government Issued ID

Adoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

*If travelling to Canada, you’ll need the following document in addition to items #1 and 2 (Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Canada/New England Itineraries):

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

• Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;

• The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian;

• The destination and length of stay in Canada.

FWIW,  the first cruise we took with our grandchildren was thru Port Canaveral.  We were unaware of the requirements above and came close to being denied boarding.  Thank God we arrived at the dock early and was able to work through the problem with a very able ground staff supervisor.  Having booked the deluxe captains cabin may have been helpful.  As it was, we were one of the last groups to board the ship.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, esm54687 said:

as mentioned a couple times already.....    there's no problem \ issue until there is.

why risk an issue and denial of boarding because a couple people never had an issue......    getting something notarized is one of the simplest things to do (especially if they come to you)

Sterling Advise!