Travel insurance enough through United Explorer card?

royalfan1

Has anyone had experience using the travel protection benefits through United Explorer card?  I am trying to figure out if I need additional insurance or if that is enough if I pay for my cruise with the card?  Thank you for any advice!  

We have the United Explorer card but never used it for travel protection.  They've recently changed their travel protection benefits (around 6 months ago), and I'm not exactly sure what the new benefits are -- as I recall, not much anymore.   I would definitely check in with them to see exactly what they provide.  We always use Travel Insured Int'l, and just get the medical/emergency evacuation insurance.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, royalfan1 said:

Has anyone had experience using the travel protection benefits through United Explorer card?  I am trying to figure out if I need additional insurance or if that is enough if I pay for my cruise with the card?  Thank you for any advice!  

The big question would be if it would cover the $6,000+ cost of medical/evacuation, if you need it.

• Thanks 1

The simple answer:

1) Research the actual terms and conditions for the insurance coverages provide for by the credit card.

2) Determine what the specific coverages (and amounts) you want for your travels.

3) Compare the two.

Since NO ONE knows what #2 is for you, how could anyone of us give you an accurate answer.

Do your homework.  There is no one size fits all answer.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

You might also want to peruse the Travel Insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

And you might want to call an insurance broker.

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - which we learned about here on CC a few years ago.

We also us Travel Insured, and they've paid several claims, without any nonsense.

Make sure you decide if you have any pre-existing conditions of concern, as most charge card insurance policies do not include these.

GC

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The simple answer:

1) Research the actual terms and conditions for the insurance coverages provide for by the credit card.

2) Determine what the specific coverages (and amounts) you want for your travels.

3) Compare the two.

Since NO ONE knows what #2 is for you, how could anyone of us give you an accurate answer.

Do your homework.  There is no one size fits all answer.

Not asking for your opinion, just asking for anyone who has experience.  Big difference

From United Explorer Card site ( https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/united/united-explorer-card/travel-protection😞

Travel Protection

UnitedSM Explorer Cardmembers enjoy built-in travel protection benefits that give you peace of mind while traveling near and far.1 Footnote

Baggage Delay Insurance

Reimburses you for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over 6 hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 3 days. 

Lost Luggage Reimbursement

If you or an immediate family member check or carry on luggage that is damaged or lost by the carrier, you're covered up to $3,000 per passenger.

Trip Delay Reimbursement

If your common carrier travel is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses made with your United Explorer Card, such as meals and lodging, up to $500 per ticket.

Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance

You can be reimbursed up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable passenger fares, if your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations.

Travel Accident Insurance

When you pay for your air, bus, train or cruise transportation with your United Explorer Card, you’re eligible to receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver

Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your United Explorer Card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.

For assistance with all United Explorer Card protection benefits, please call 1-888-880-5844, or the International Collect line at 1-804-673-1691.

13 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

The big question would be if it would cover the $6,000+ cost of medical/evacuation, if you need it.

A very small issue and short evac.

The bill for the evac for my mother from Halifax to DC was $29,000

Hospital bill was well north of $5000 for 4 days.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, royalfan1 said:

I have an United explorer card and they do often some good benefits, but they do not offer any medical benefits.  At my age, I think I'm starting to need to include this. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, royalfan1 said:

Not asking for your opinion, just asking for anyone who has experience.  Big difference

And anyone else's experience would have ZERO relationship to your original issue which was:

15 hours ago, royalfan1 said:

I am trying to figure out if I need additional insurance or if that is enough if I pay for my cruise with the card?

You did say that, correct?  And that does require a judgment call only you can make.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

A very small issue and short evac.

The bill for the evac for my mother from Halifax to DC was $29,000

Hospital bill was well north of $5000 for 4 days.

Wow thanks for the info.  My health insurance covers ambulance and air transport but doesn't say if there are limitations.  I will  have to check with them.  

4 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

I have an United explorer card and they do often some good benefits, but they do not offer any medical benefits.  At my age, I think I'm starting to need to include this. 

I wasn't really thinking medical but yes that isn't included.  I would hate to be in a foreign county and find out I am not covered.  I will need to check with my health insurer to see where I may have a lapse in coverage.  Sounds like that is what others are doing as well.

Have actually used them?  Just curious if you get the run around or if they are pretty responsive to claims.  

20 hours ago, royalfan1 said:

The question is what to the card cover and are you willing to assume the risk for the things that it doesn't cover.  You are the only one that can make the decision.

Some insurers will sell you a $0 policy.  That is, there is no coverage for missing your cruise (or other travel) or for having to leave early (trip interruption), but provides all the other coverage, such as medical and medical evacuation.

I do this, as I have already paid for the cruise, and not going would be heartbreaking, but not a financial disaster.

For my insurance (it is a major travel insurer, but through a special deal with my auto/home insurance company) is a whopping $32 per trip.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, SRF said:

Some insurers will sell you a $0 policy.  That is, there is no coverage for missing your cruise (or other travel) or for having to leave early (trip interruption), but provides all the other coverage, such as medical and medical evacuation.

I do this, as I have already paid for the cruise, and not going would be heartbreaking, but not a financial disaster.

For my insurance (it is a major travel insurer, but through a special deal with my auto/home insurance company) is a whopping $32 per trip.

Thank you for the tip!  I will try my home/auto insurance for the extra medical insurance the card doesn't cover!!

Either way you go, outside of the US, you will be required to pay for medical services out of your pocket via cash or credit card. They are not going to run your insurance for you. Then, when you return, you file for reimbursement thru your various insurance companies.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 10:14 PM, klfrodo said:

Either way you go, outside of the US, you will be required to pay for medical services out of your pocket via cash or credit card. They are not going to run your insurance for you. Then, when you return, you file for reimbursement thru your various insurance companies.

Not necessarily true.

I was in Sicily last year.  I had a bout of diarrhea and became dehydrated.  I went to the nearby hospital and was treated.  They asked for my insurance card, took the info, done.  No bill, no charges.

Even with secondary insurance, they may get involved.  My Mother had an issue on a cruise in Halifax Canada.  We contacted the insurance company (booked through the cruise line) and they got involved and dealt directly with both the hospital and the med evac provider.

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not necessarily true.

I was in Sicily last year.  I had a bout of diarrhea and became dehydrated.  I went to the nearby hospital and was treated.  They asked for my insurance card, took the info, done.  No bill, no charges.

Even with secondary insurance, they may get involved.  My Mother had an issue on a cruise in Halifax Canada.  We contacted the insurance company (booked through the cruise line) and they got involved and dealt directly with both the hospital and the med evac provider.

The Italian hospital may have taken your card for ID purposes.

When I landed in an Italian hospital, they refused to accept any payment.  We felt awful, as we aren't tax-payers there.  We tried several times (we had insurance that would have reimbursed us), but they explained that they had *no* mechanism to bill or to accept any money, cash or otherwise.  They kept smiling and saying things like, "That's how we do it here!"

The physician who made two visits to the hotel prior to ordering an ambulance?  He was "more than happy" to charge us, and collect the hefty "cash only" amount each time.

GC

On 1/30/2019 at 10:14 PM, klfrodo said:

That is not true.  It depends on the country and their health care system. Several years ago, while visiting Paris, I had a potentially serious eye issue that required me to visit the ER (twice) in the Hopital des Quinze-Vingts, one of Europe’s leading eye hospitals.  (I was really fortunate not only that this hospital was there in Paris, but that the concierge in our hotel knew about it. It saved our trip.)  While I was expecting to have to pull out my credit card (or cash), they charged me no money on either visit.  (I did have travel insurance, but did not need it.  But that might not have been the case elsewhere, and I will continue to purchase such insurance.)

An OT tip: neither my wife nor I speak French, and I was very concerned that I might not be able to communicate with the staff in the ER.  The hotel concierge assured me that while the clerks might not speak English, the doctors would. So before jumping in a cab, I used Google translate to write out, very simply in French, what was going on.  As it turned out,  the admissions clerk spoke no English, and my little note was a huge help. (And the doctors did indeed speak English.)

Edited by Turtles06

On 2/1/2019 at 1:10 PM, GeezerCouple said:

The Italian hospital may have taken your card for ID purposes.

When I landed in an Italian hospital, they refused to accept any payment.  We felt awful, as we aren't tax-payers there.  We tried several times (we had insurance that would have reimbursed us), but they explained that they had *no* mechanism to bill or to accept any money, cash or otherwise.  They kept smiling and saying things like, "That's how we do it here!"

The physician who made two visits to the hotel prior to ordering an ambulance?  He was "more than happy" to charge us, and collect the hefty "cash only" amount each time.

GC

Nope, they had taken my passport and Dl for ID purposes.  

Then they specifically asked for my INSURANCE card.