Can you bring soda or water on board?

oregoncruisers

Yes, you can, but we’ve found it much easier lately to just pre-order their water package, since we don’t have to hassle trying to get in on ourselves. It is $6.90 for 12 bottles, and it will be in your room by the time you board  or shortly thereafter.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oregoncruisers said:

Stateroom delivery would be nice! It is so heavy to carry!

We usually order 2 12-packs for a 7-day tropical cruise, or 3 12-packs for a 10-day Cruise 

to anywhere when we will have lots of excursions.  

Sometimes they’d leave a little  card in your stateroom upon boarding that you will then tender to the right party (food beverage services)  to facilitate delivery, and other times 

the cases of water are ALL in the cabin immediately after embarking.  We used to slap a luggage tag on our case(s) of water and it would show up, and once, we toted it on ourselves in its own suitcase. 😏 

Wouldn’t do that again! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, oregoncruisers said:

Hi!  We are considering a Princess cruise for the first time; always cruised with RCCL in past.  Does Princess allow passengers to bring soda or bottled water on board at embarkation?

Yes either carry it on or put a bag tag on it and give to to the porters.

The water special is only available for pre cruise purchase. Not available for that price once onboard.

• Like 1

$6.90 for 12 H2O pre-cruise + every excursion I've been on has given me a water bottle. Both through Princess and private excursions. So a 12 pack can easily last me a 16 day cruise

Edited by Gayl4b
Solo cruiser

16 minutes ago, Gayl4b said:

$6.90 for 12 H2O pre-cruise + every excursion I've been on has given me a water bottle. Both through Princess and private excursions. So a 12 pack can easily last me a 16 day cruise

Not me. I order 2-3 12 packs for cruises 14 days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, casandbliz said:

If I want to bring canned soda, can I put it in my checked luggage, or does it have to go in a carry on?

Carry on..  At least that's the requirement for alcoholic beverages, I would think non-alcoholic would be the same:

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. 

https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/plc.html

12 minutes ago, casandbliz said:

If I want to bring canned soda, can I put it in my checked luggage, or does it have to go in a carry on?

I taped up a 12 pack real good, added the luggage tag and checked it. No problems. Same as water being checked someone mentioned above. Last trip we checked a 30 pack from Costco. We also check our wine by the case when on a long trip from home port. Other than paying the corkage, no problem. All items were delivered to the room.

10 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Carry on..  At least that's the requirement for alcoholic beverages, I would think non-alcoholic would be the same:

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. 

https://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/plc.html

On our 60 night Pac Rim cruise last fall, several people checked three or more cases of wine. All were delivered in the evening to the room after the corkage was paid. The crew members (there were two doing the deliveries and the cart was full) delivering the wine even put it in the room where we wanted it.

Just now, TheRabbit said:

On our 60 night Pac Rim cruise last fall, several people checked three or more cases of wine. All were delivered in the evening to the room after the corkage was paid. The crew members (there were two doing the deliveries and the cart was full) delivering the wine even put it in the room where we wanted it.

I don't doubt it.  I just don't want to be responsible for any breakage that damages/stains another person's items in their luggage by checking it through.  I don't know what Princess policy on that sort of damage is, but on at least one other cruise line, if leaking beverages in checked bags (not allowed) causes damages to someone else's clothing, the person who had the beverages in their checked bags is responsible for any cleaning costs/damages.  

20 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I don't doubt it.  I just don't want to be responsible for any breakage that damages/stains another person's items in their luggage by checking it through.  I don't know what Princess policy on that sort of damage is, but on at least one other cruise line, if leaking beverages in checked bags (not allowed) causes damages to someone else's clothing, the person who had the beverages in their checked bags is responsible for any cleaning costs/damages.  

These were in the original cases (checked 2 of them) and also in Styrofoam filled boxes. No problems and last year I asked for info on this subject and those responding indicated they have not had problems checking 12 bottle cases. Porters see it is wine and handle them appropriately I believe.

2 hours ago, casandbliz said:

If you pack canned soda in your checked luggage you may well be called to the "naughty room" to open your bag to demonstrate that it isn't beer. Not worth the hassle to me. I'd carry it on.

They do prefer you hand carry your wine on board but we have found that is not a hard and fast rule and can prove to be a real pain since it takes up so much room in your hand carries. So we leave it in our luggage or in the original wine case. When I bring extra I am prepared to pay the $15.00 per, but they have never given us any grief. Never charged us either.

They state in a number of different places that-------  "At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked."---That language appears to recognize that alcohol can be brought on board in checked luggage as long as it is an "allowed amount". 

But then they say:-------Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage.----This language indicates that the only alcohol allowed on board is one bottle of wine or champagne per person and must be in carry-on luggage.

But then they say:----"Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted."

So, there you have it, very unclear. Having spent so much time cruising with Princess I have to go with my experiences based upon their on-board practices. As I mention most of the time we don't carry on our wine but leave it in our checked luggage. They have even opened our checked luggage before and found our wine which was more than the free allowance. They left a nice note. "You are in full compliance with our liquor policy, thank you."

So, in summary, to be on the safe side, bring your wine on board in carry-on luggage.

Edited by kennicott

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

That is interesting, I've never read such language in any of the cruise contracts on the three lines we frequent. If they have it, appears to me it would be sort of misleading, since they encourage you to put their duty free liquor in your checked baggage at the end of the cruise, they often even have crew assigned to help you do that at the gangway.

I believe most disembarking guests are destined to catch airline flights, if so, the furthest you are going to get with normal bottles of booze in hand carries is prior to security at the airport where all your good stuff is going into the junk bin. Airlines have no problem with legal liquids in checked luggage as long as you pack it correctly. When we do carry wine in our non-hand carry luggage, both going on and off the vessel, we place it in special made leak proof bubble rap containers.   

As most others have already indicated,on Princess anyway----- No problem with bringing all the soda and water you want to on board.For pre-cruise orders only you can order a 12 bottle (500 ml) case for $6.90. If you don't pre-order through your Cruise Personalizer or find that you needed more than a case, you can get it from cabin service. Down side to that is it costs $2.00 per bottle. Found that one out the hard way.

What happened on our last Princess cruise though, for a month, we decided to preorder two 12 bottle cases. Got on board, found the two cases okay but after a few days our room steward had us awash in water. What I neglected to read, was that our cabin received up to three free bottles a day. You see, we had my wife's sister with us so we got our first full suite ever. And that was part of the package. Our room steward had them credit us for the cases.      

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, oregoncruisers said:

Hi!  We are considering a Princess cruise for the first time; always cruised with RCCL in past.  Does Princess allow passengers to bring soda or bottled water on board at embarkation?

Yes you can.😁

Tony