Carnival Elation Advice

919Florida

So I am looking into planning my 2020 cruise now. For the dates I need to go the only itienrary that is working for me is the Carnival Elation 5 Night out of Port Canaveral. I know this is one of the oldest ships and I am just curious what you think I would feel like after having experience and loved the Breeze, Glory, Liberty, Sunshine and Victory. I feel a cruise is better than no cruise at all but I am just looking for advice on this one. Its a nice 5 night itinerary I like I just wish it was a different ship. If it was up to you to do Elation or no cruise would you take the Elation? Thanks for taking the time to read this

My most recent recent cruise was on the Elation, after sailing on the larger ships as well. I felt the same way as you when I booked it. Yes, the ship is smaller, doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like the newer, larger ships, but that’s also a good thing. There were absolutely no long lines or waiting for pretty much anything. The ship is smaller and it’s very quick and easy to get from place to place. I didn’t use an elevator once while on the ship (my choice, but it was easy to do). My cruise on the Elation ended up being my favorite cruise I’ve been on so far. 

• Like 3

Just got off the Elation and also was questioning the choice after being on the larger ships.  Overall it was a pleasant cruise and the ship if well laid out to keep the people dispersed. The crew was very friendly and food was on par with other Carnival ships.  The outside sitting area behind the Lido seating area was out favorite place to eat.  Only a 5-10 minute wait for "anytime" dinning usually around 7:00 - 7:30 (probably due to the dinning room "entertainment" that stops most food service at about 6:45).

Elevators were an issue with 25 - 50% not working a one time (a real issue if you have a cabin on  decks 11 - 14 where 1 of the 2 elevators were out of service for most of the cruise). The only major issue was the internet which was the worse of any Carnival ship since they started offering internet.  Just don't plan on doing any work on the internet.

• Like 1

I just got off today, I will write a total review tomorrow.  Somebody mentioned about the elevators, the ones I always used was the midship one and quite honestly this was my 83rd cruse and the best elevators I ever had, never waited more than 12 seconds, except for last night the last night when they needed some of them for taking luggage.  Yes, a smaller ship but will give you my two cents in my review, I felt like it was crowded.  Yes, the internet is the worst I ever had, 80% it didn't work and we had premium package.  

Edited by Cruisegirl6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I just got off today, I will write a total review tomorrow.  Somebody mentioned about the elevators, the ones I always used was the midship one and quite honestly this was my 83rd cruse and the best elevators I ever had, never waited more than 12 seconds, except for last night the last night when they needed some of them for taking luggage.  Yes, a smaller ship but will give you my two cents in my review, I felt like it was crowded.  Yes, the internet is the worst I ever had, 80% it didn't work and we had premium package.  

Those midship elevators go into that glass case thing on lido right? I used to think that went to some sort of changing room or something when I saw people going in there on my first crusies. Didn’t know it was an elevator until later on.

We were on the Elation in December, have sailed the fantasy class several times over the years for shorter cruises and the Elation was fine.  Its small and its old but we had a blast all the same.  Our family definitely prefers the larger ships and take our longer trips on the larger class ships but every once in a while we will grab a quick hitter (like 5 days) from a closer port and it is all good! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Depends on what you like. The elation has a nice main lounge, comedy club,  night club. It has no alchemy bar or red frog pub...no movie screen. No steakhouse. For me I would need an alchemy...then I could do elation again.

(Bold my emphasis)

Elation does have the Gatsby Bar.  I am assuming it has a 20s Speakeasy vibe to it (I was on Elation 12 years ago, and seem to recall that, but my mind is fuzzy, and, um, what was I saying?).

We really like the Alchemy Bar, and although it won't be the same, perhaps it will afford an opportunity to explore more variations of Sidecars and Manhattans vs "Martinis" (yes, I put that in quotations on purpose - I like what Alchemy offers, but many of their martinis are as close to a true martini as a comso...).  We certainly like the Sidecars and Manhattans served at Alchemy, so perhaps that bodes well.

We're on Elation in a few months (just under 100 days!), so I guess we'll find out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m not talking about the glass elevators...like the atrium elevators. I’m talking about this

0775e86705c5716b3566ed6e06a992e3.jpg

Greg, that is a stairway that leads down to the Promenade deck. The mid ship elevators only go up to deck 9 (Promenade).:classic_cool:

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

(Bold my emphasis)

Elation does have the Gatsby Bar.  I am assuming it has a 20s Speakeasy vibe to it (I was on Elation 12 years ago, and seem to recall that, but my mind is fuzzy, and, um, what was I saying?).

We really like the Alchemy Bar, and although it won't be the same, perhaps it will afford an opportunity to explore more variations of Sidecars and Manhattans vs "Martinis" (yes, I put that in quotations on purpose - I like what Alchemy offers, but many of their martinis are as close to a true martini as a comso...).  We certainly like the Sidecars and Manhattans served at Alchemy, so perhaps that bodes well.

We're on Elation in a few months (just under 100 days!), so I guess we'll find out.

Gatsby Bar is the closest to Alchemy that you will find.  They do offer "Martini" tastings there during each cruise.  (I get your quotes exactly!)  :classic_cool:

We'll be on Elation in 17 days, then again on May 12th sailing.  Will we see you for a drink at Gatsby's?🥂

3 minutes ago, obx_fintoo said:

We'll be on Elation in 17 days, then again on May 12th sailing.  Will we see you for a drink at Gatsby's?🥂

Ah, it appears we will getting on the ship as you get off: you are on the six-day right before our five-day.

Hmm, I'm normally one to go for an extra day if available, so I guess I didn't book that six-day cruise simply because of the room I found for the cruise departing on the 18th: we are in one of those scenic ocean views with floor to ceiling windows at the front of deck 14 - I stumbled across the room being available quite by chance, and snagged it pretty well right away - cost less than a balcony, so I figured why not?!  I'd wanted to try one as soon as I found out they existed, so this should be interesting.  The view should be great, assuming the windows aren't covered in salt spray. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Ah, it appears we will getting on the ship as you get off: you are on the six-day right before our five-day.

Hmm, I'm normally one to go for an extra day if available, so I guess I didn't book that six-day cruise simply because of the room I found for the cruise departing on the 18th: we are in one of those scenic ocean views with floor to ceiling windows at the front of deck 14 - I stumbled across the room being available quite by chance, and snagged it pretty well right away - cost less than a balcony, so I figured why not?!  I'd wanted to try one as soon as I found out they existed, so this should be interesting.  The view should be great, assuming the windows aren't covered in salt spray. 

Nice!  Would love to hear about it once you are back.  We were in a balcony but this week an Aft Extended balcony opened up and hubby snagged it right up!  We won't see where we are going, just watch where we've been!! 

6 minutes ago, obx_fintoo said:

Nice!  Would love to hear about it once you are back.  We were in a balcony but this week an Aft Extended balcony opened up and hubby snagged it right up!  We won't see where we are going, just watch where we've been!! 

Hah!  We love aft extended balconies.  The ones on Elation are more covered than say Liberty or Sunshine, right?  And you get a better look down to the water?

Do let us know how that was - always wondered whether I'd miss the stars above vs the better view of the wake!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Hah!  We love aft extended balconies.  The ones on Elation are more covered than say Liberty or Sunshine, right?  And you get a better look down to the water?

Do let us know how that was - always wondered whether I'd miss the stars above vs the better view of the wake!

Will do!  We've been on an Aft on the Liberty, so I'll be comparing to that.