Cruise insurance

Pete's Girl

Hi all!  I've never been one to purchase trip insurance as I've always been relatively healthy and I've generally seen it as a waste of money.  However, I am scheduled to sail on Mariner of the Seas on Monday and I was hospitalized last week with, what doctors believe to be, a serious health problem that I'll probably be dealing with for the remainder of my life.  However, I'm not a big fan of throwing in the towel when things get challenging.  I'd rather take extra steps to insure I can still do the things I love to do....and cruising ranks right up there!  I do not have trip insurance this time around and lesson learned, but we are sailing on the Escape in June and I'd like to explore the option.  The Escape is already paid in full and it's something we have no plans on missing it if it's entirely possible.  So I think insurance would be a good idea this time around.  

Does anyone know of a reputable 3rd party company that I should look into?  Has anyone had any experiences with said company(s)?  I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject.  Thanks so much!!!    

Jay

Edited by Pete's Girl

I can't advertise for a specific company but in general -

NCL offers insurance - check for it somewhere in your documents

Member of a travel club - check that out

Check out a Travel Agency for suggestions

Your automobile insurance agent maybe able to help

Might check to see if your homeowners insurance covers some or all

You may have insurance that you are not aware of

Generally you don't have to buy the insurance until the Final Payment period

If you are in a Inside Cabin or Ocean View you probably don't need the whole enchilada package

HOWEVER if in a Suite or Haven you will have a considerable investment in the cruise package

use you best judgment as to what you can't afford to lose or be replaced.

Health and Medical insurance is BIG deal - if out on an shore excursion or away miles at sea

the bill to take care of your needs can be financially bankrupting - use a great deal of caution

Better to have something and not need it than nothing and really need it !

That is all I have to comment offer.

If you hope to ensure against the health condition that prevented you from going on your current cruise make certain you declare it, pre existing conditions are rarely covered perticurly if they are not declared.

I travel a lot and maintain an annual policy, ideally the policy should be in place at time of booking but if not, as soon as possible after booking.

The advantage of an annual policy is that it covers all my trips if anything goes wrong from the point of booking until I get home, the small cost of an annual policy is well worth it in my view.

If you need a pre existing condition insurance, it is best to call and talk to someone to ensure you have the correct insurance you are looking for.

Edited by ziggyuk

32 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

If you hope to ensure against the health condition that prevented you from going on your current cruise make certain you declare it, pre existing conditions are rarely covered perticurly if they are not declared.

I travel a lot and maintain an annual policy, ideally the policy should be in place at time of booking but if not, as soon as possible after booking.

The advantage of an annual policy is that it covers all my trips if anything goes wrong from the point of booking until I get home, the small cost of an annual policy is well worth it in my view.

If you need a pre existing condition insurance, it is best to call and talk to someone to ensure you have the correct insurance you are looking for.

Travel Insurance is *very* different in the UK and in the USA.

I've heard about other countries' policies requiring "declaring" existing conditions (or needed approval), but that is typically *not* the case in the USA.  Here, one must usually *Start* the insurance coverage within a certain time period of initial payment OR final payment (defined narrowly), and also be fit to travel on the date the insurance is started.  That's pretty much it.

GC

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Travel Insurance is *very* different in the UK and in the USA.

I've heard about other countries' policies requiring "declaring" existing conditions (or needed approval), but that is typically *not* the case in the USA.  Here, one must usually *Start* the insurance coverage within a certain time period of initial payment OR final payment (defined narrowly), and also be fit to travel on the date the insurance is started.  That's pretty much it.

GC

Oh wow, that is very different, I guess the OP might struggle to insure now at this stage.

Is insurance expensive in the USA, it's pretty low cost in the UK and (although basic) often offered free with bank accounts, I never really understand why so many question the "expense" of taking insurance on these forums?

I actually have two free bank account insurance policies, one worldwide (household) and one europe only (personal), the worldwide one has very good cover.

2 minutes ago, ginger123snaps said:

Pre-existing conditions are usually not covered and they have a look back period....all of this depends on when you booked the cruise.  You can always cancel and rebook with insurance.  

They sail in 3 days.  They really can't cancel and rebook at this point.

2 minutes ago, vince_g said:

They sail in June, it's not Mondays cruise they ask about.

Edited by ziggyuk

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

They sail in June, they say they can't go on Mondays cruise.

But they've already paid in full.

That means they can't meet the "within x days" (usually 10-21) of initial payment OR (different policy type) within 24 hours of final/full payment (defined narrowly).  That is typically what is needed for coverage of pre-existing conditions... plus "being fit to travel on date insurance is started".

7 minutes ago, vince_g said:

10 minutes ago, ginger123snaps said:

Pre-existing conditions are usually not covered and they have a look back period....all of this depends on when you booked the cruise.  You can always cancel and rebook with insurance.  

If in the USA, then getting coverage that does NOT exclude pre-existing conditions means just that:  Pre-existing conditions ARE covered, as long as one was fit to travel on day of insurance start.

That's the point of getting that type of coverage.

GC

I have a company I use all the time. and 2 cruises  ago  I  had an issue with my eye and we had to rent a car to see an eye Dr. Between the cost of seeing the ship DR and the meds he prescribed , the car rental, eye dr etc  I put $600 out of pocket.  When I came home , I filled out all the forms for the insurance. I was reimbursed 100% of my money.  YOu just never know what may happen.  I used the trip insurance store and they are wonderful. They  Will guide you all the way. He has a ton of info on his site about trip insurances explaining everything. I always get the medical waiver so there is no pre existing. no look back etc. However, there is a limited time to buy  the insurance to get  the  medical waiver.  These insurances don't esactly work like your own healthcare does , so it can be tricky to navigate to get  the right one for you. 

Also Med Jet has a plan you can get quite cheap if you are 150 miles from home and need to get home via a medical flight.  I think the  cost I saw was starting at $85 if under  age 75-- THis is for a short term membership anywhere from  8- 30 days. 

4 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

I don't think it works that way b/c its the same trip. Also there is a medical waiver you can get-- so no look back. When you look at the insurances there will a time frame to buy it so you get the medical waiver. 

I like Trip Insurance Store (dot com) for personal advice. I would recommend you talk to them or another insurance agent that can give you the run down on what is and what is not a pre-existing condition. They have a page where they explain how the insurance companies calculate whether a condition is "pre-existing" or not at this link. My reading of that page is that you have to insure against pre-existing medical conditions within 21 days of your initial payment (booking/deposit) on the cruise.  But maybe not.

It's an incredibly complex subject for most of us. What is a pre-existing condition? Your medical condition may not be "pre-existing" by the time your cruise comes along if you are medically stable for the required lookback period and have not been treated for it. I had a DVT in 2015; a subsequent DVT isn't really a pre-existing condition even though I have had one before for some companies. It all depends. So an insurance agent is needed. If the condition is not pre-existing according to them, then you don't need a waiver for it, and purchasing it within 21 days is not needed.

Sometimes I don't insure the trip costs if I can save some money on the medical insurance. Those are costs I have already paid, and while it would be nice to be insured against them, I can obviously "afford" to pay them since I already have. You seek out special "medical only" policies to do this. They are sold based on the length of the trip and the age of the traveler. What I don't do is lie, ever, ever, ever, on the insurance application. There are a few cruisers who say you can get great rates by putting your "trip cost" at $0 since you only want the medical coverage. They will brag about paying $12 for a two week cruise, but they will never collect on the claim. The policies that have a trip cost as the pricing mechanism require you to put in an accurate amount of the non-refundable cost or all of the coverage is void, and they are wasting their $12.

For the ine cruie, can you cancel and then rebook and buy trip insurance when you rebook?  i remember buying travel insurance thru NCL and if I bought within 10 days of booking then they had a pre-existing condition waiver, which meant I was covered for pre-existing conditions.  Worth checking into.

Most travel insurance policies have a look back period for pre-existing conditions that will not be covered. 

NCL' s definition: 

"Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the Effective Date for which You, a Traveling Companion, a Family Member booked to travel with You: 1) exhibited symptoms that would have caused one to seek care or treatment; or 2) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 3) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (3) of this definition does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date."

There are variations to the definition by state of residence so you should check the policy to be sure.  Also the benefits of NCL's medical insurance are limited.  GeoBlue has a medical travel policy that covers pre-existing conditions as long as you have a current medical policy (Medicare counts).

33 minutes ago, senseib said:

Most travel insurance policies have a look back period for pre-existing conditions that will not be covered. 

NCL' s definition: 

"Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the Effective Date for which You, a Traveling Companion, a Family Member booked to travel with You: 1) exhibited symptoms that would have caused one to seek care or treatment; or 2) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 3) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (3) of this definition does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date."

There are variations to the definition by state of residence so you should check the policy to be sure.  Also the benefits of NCL's medical insurance are limited.  GeoBlue has a medical travel policy that covers pre-existing conditions as long as you have a current medical policy (Medicare counts).

Many third party travel insurance policies have optional (or always included) *waivers* of that exclusion of pre-existing conditions.  That slightly awkward wording basically means that any pre-existing conditions are fully covered, with the usual caveat that one must be "fit to travel" on the date the policy is started.  Also, there is usually a deadline to start the policies, often between 10-20 days of making the very first payment/deposit for the trip.  (At least one company also includes this waiver if one gets the insurance within 24 hours of the final payment, narrowly defined.  This one has slightly lower coverage, and the CFAR - Cancel For Any Reason - rider is more expensive.)

And these policies can cover you from when you walk out your front door until when you walk back in, including any additional travel you arrange in addition to the cruise.

GC

6 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Many third party travel insurance policies have optional (or always included) *waivers* of that exclusion of pre-existing conditions.  That slightly awkward wording basically means that any pre-existing conditions are fully covered, with the usual caveat that one must be "fit to travel" on the date the policy is started.  Also, there is usually a deadline to start the policies, often between 10-20 days of making the very first payment/deposit for the trip.  (At least one company also includes this waiver if one gets the insurance within 24 hours of the final payment, narrowly defined.  This one has slightly lower coverage, and the CFAR - Cancel For Any Reason - rider is more expensive.)

And these policies can cover you from when you walk out your front door until when you walk back in, including any additional travel you arrange in addition to the cruise.

GC

Where does that leave the OP, they are not fit to travel on their cruise tomorrow (Monday), they are paid in full for the June cruise and now want to take out insurance for it.