Cunard and P&O switch Port of Amsterdam for IJmuiden Netherlands, HAL next?

Alphen

To start off, there is no indication yet, that Holland America will not use the Amsterdam cruise terminal this year and following, but yesterday Dutch papers reported that after the earlier withdrawal of MSC and Cruise and Maritime Voyages from the Dutch capital, now Carnival Corp has decided to withdraw the port visits of P&O and Cunard too.

This is all because of the newly implemented tourist city tax, that now every visiting cruise passenger has to pay. The amount is Euro 8 per person and if a ship remains overnight, it is double that, because the charge is per day.

The newly introduced tax in this way backfires, because most ships will provide busses for transport to the city out of IJmuiden, avoiding paying tax, but still visiting the city, in buses that do not really add to already bad environmental impact that they have on the air in the city.

In total, because of the new tax, 81 cruise visits to Amsterdam have been cancelled, 33 in 2019 and 48 in 2020.

There are still 153 remaining, but maybe only due to the fact that no alternative port was available (yet).

To be continued.

One of the papers, in Dutch, but Google translate will do the trick;

https://www.ad.nl/amsterdam/meer-rederijen-laten-passagiersterminal-links-liggen~a29f5a8b/

Edited by Alphen

I believe that Carnival is using the movement of P&O and Cunard to “pusuade” the lowering or removal of the tourist city tax for port entry. I have taken the 50-60 min bus ride from IMjuiden to the city and really prefer not to but I also dont want to pay a tourist city tax when i’ll be spending $$ for food, drink, transportation and other items. 

It’s a conundrum for sure. I’ll be there next year on the Zaandam and do hope we use the Amsterdam Cruise terminal. 

Being originally from there, Amsterdam is always looking for more money and 8/16 euro per passenger is outrageous, unless you have the size of the Prinsendam:classic_sad:, which is no more,. IJmuiden is a pain, no real transport, yes, there is a bus, but with lots of luggage, not easy, so you need a taxi, and spend the night at the Holiday Inn across from the terminal.

So my suggestion is to use the port of Rotterdam, easy to get to by train from Schiphol and a very nice city to spend some time...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruisingengineer said:

When I was on a Prisendam cruise to Norway and Iceland a few years ago it left from Imjuiden not from Amsterdam so sometimes HAL is already using that port.

A few years ago HAL switched the Prinsendam to Imjuiden. They changed their mind about it a year or two later, and switched back to Amsterdam.
HAL has not been regularly sailing from Imjuiden since. The idea of going back is new, and not welcome by those of us who like the convenience of Amsterdam.

Carnival are using this as a lever against Amsterdam, but Carnival needs Amsterdam rather more than Amsterdam needs thousands of low-spending tourists.

It will probably backfire, because the inconvenience of a 40 minute (at least) transfer, as against a short walk, to the city centre is hardly going to appeal.

Carnival are also breaking their own terms and conditions to do this, and smart customers are going to take them on over it. Most won't, and that's what they're relying on.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, docco said:

Carnival needs Amsterdam rather more than Amsterdam needs thousands of low-spending tourists.

I would have thought that on average a tourist spends more than 8 euro, which is the tourist tax. Maybe I’m Missing something?

6 minutes ago, freestyling said:

I would have thought that on average a tourist spends more than 8 euro, which is the tourist tax. Maybe I’m Missing something?

More than 8 euros, almost certainly.  But probably not vastly more than that, particularly if they're eating on the ship.  And in most cases not enough to cover the infrastructure needed to cope with the huge numbers of tourists.

The ones staying in hotels are already paying a tourist tax - this just puts it in line.

Venice is a similar case, where cruise trippers are notorious for buying just a slice of pizza and an ice cream!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docco said:

Carnival are also breaking their own terms and conditions to do this, and smart customers are going to take them on over it. Most won't, and that's what they're relying on.

What T&C's are they breaking? 

22 minutes ago, drowelf said:

What T&C's are they breaking? 

40. Whilst P&O Cruises will do its best not to cancel or to make any significant alteration after a booking has been made, it shall nevertheless be entitled at any time prior to departure to cancel the Contract or to change and/or curtail the Package where this reasonably becomes necessary on operational, commercial or other grounds.

This is the P&O wording.  Cunard probably uses the same wording.  In English law, those words in italics have a crucial meaning. What they've done flies absolutely in the face of doing its best not to make any significant alteration, and it certainly isn't reasonably necessary, bearing in mind the impact on passengers.

Too bad for the passengers. Public transport to get to and from Amsterdam is rather bad. Cabs will be expensive.

IJmuiden has nothing to offer. 

Ships will certainly sell more excursion and transfers.

2 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Today, anouncement in Dutch papers came, that also Costa, Aida and Princess divert from Amsterdam to either IJmuiden and or Rotterdam. Costa diverts 17 visits, Aida 7 and Princess 1.

Surprise, surprise. And every single one of them owned by the rapacious Carnival.

• Like 1

Oh dear...we are booked for a Norway cruise out of Amsterdam.  The departure port was really important to us.  Not sure we'll keep the booking, if that should change.

I'm reminded of a thread here on CC about Shanghai.  I guess the port was changed after final payments had been made to a port that was quite far from the city center.  I'd hate to be stuck in a situation like that.

Ancient...If your cruise begins in Amsterdam your departure port probably will not change.  Is it currently schedule to depart from PTA (Passenger Terminal Amsterdam) located near Centraal Station?  You can check the PTA website for their cruise schedule calendar.  The Waterland terminal in western Amsterdam is a quick cab ride to the center city.

The P&O and Cunard cruises were most likely port visits, not embarkation or departure points.  Only port visits are taxed.

• Like 1