Which (non alcoholic) drinks are included/free?

Obsi

I'm preparing some info for a group cruise I'm running (on Golden), and I want to let my group know which drinks are included in their fare - but I'm not actually sure because it's a bit confusing  (I always just get the unlimited soda package and that's all I drink :D)

I know that the drinks in Horizon court are included in your fare....  But is Horizon court the only place to get free drinks?   The Princess website just says 'Iced Tea, Lemonade, Water, Tea varieties, Non- Specialty Coffee'  is included, but that isn't very clear what that means or where those can be obtained (other than HC)...   

Eg if I went to International Cafe and asked for a cup of earl grey tea - would that be free or not?   I assume Chai would be considered like a specialty coffee so extra?    And would the only place to get a free coffee be in Horizon court or are there other kinds of coffee (what is 'non-specialty'?) that are free?

Can you order things like a cup of tea from a bar?  I have seen servers at the pool-side bars taking cups of coffee to people, so I assume they ordered from the bar, but I wasn't sure if they were paid or free, or if you're able to order there or not.

Also, can someone explain the coffee package -  it's not on the (Australian) site to be able to buy in advance, and I've heard it's changed - so I don't know how it works now (or how much it is)

Edited by Obsi

Coffee/Tea.

Free coffee and tea are in the dining rooms and Horizon Court--but many of us think the coffee is horrible.  To get fresh brewed coffee, they should buy a specialty coffee card. Once you have it you can unlimited brewed coffee and tea as well as 15 specialty coffees/teas.  The coffee card costs around $36 US (plus 18% tip) and is good for the cruise. You can buy it at the International Cafe from your server. They check a notch each time you buy a specialty drink with it.  Coffee card description from US Princess site:

Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise. 
Package is not currently offered for pre-purchase on selected voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand. 

The New Grounds Coffee Package has gone digital for voyages beginning in June 2018. View Coffee Package full terms & conditions.

Have a paper New Grounds Coffee Card purchased for voyages prior to June 2018? View Coffee Card full terms & conditions.

Water is generally available.  Dining Rooms, Horizon, bars, servers will bring. They do sell bottled water on port days on your way off the ship.

Lemonade I have only seen at Horizon. I know I have had servers on deck deliver it to me.

Iced Tea Definitely free in dining rooms and Horizon.  Not sure about other spots.  I know I have had servers on deck deliver it to me.

Juice. Available in the morning in dining rooms and Horizon.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Included drinks are found in the dining rooms and the buffet.  They are coffee, tea, iced tea, milk with meals, lemonade (which I have only seen at lunch in the buffet, but might be available in the dining room?)  and juice at breakfast.    You can get plain water for free at any bar, but juice (coffee, milk, etc) at a bar will be a cost.  As would your special order of Earl Grey at the International cafe.  If you go up to the buffet and make it with the teabag it would be free.

As for the coffee package: It is electronically loaded onto your room card/medallion and entitles you to 15 specialty drinks (chai, frappes, mochas, etc.).  Cannot say what the price is on an Australia based cruise, but the value is good compared to the per drink prices, IF you will use them all up before the end of the cruise. The drinks may be shared by as many people as the card holder wants, as it is a specific number of drinks and not a package for an individual.

• Like 1

Thanks for that - I thought that was how the coffee card worked but I wasn't sure.

So if you're in a bar or on deck you could ask for an iced tea and they would bring one to you for free?

The only place to get a free cup of tea (just a normal teabag tea) would be to make it yourself in the buffet or have it with a meal in the dining rooms?

If you purchased a coffee card, would you be able to get a teabag tea free instead of a brewed coffee do you think?

I don't suppose you could order a cup of teabag tea for free in room service?

(Just trying to work out what options my group will have, as I know some will complain about having to walk all the way to the buffet just for a cup of tea... we're big on cups of tea here lol)

1 hour ago, Obsi said:

The only place to get a free cup of tea (just a normal teabag tea) would be to make it yourself in the buffet or have it with a meal in the dining rooms? Yes. Unless you have a coffee card.

If you purchased a coffee card, would you be able to get a teabag tea free instead of a brewed coffee do you think? The tea available at the IC is a tea bag, but it's a different "special" brand of tea than what's available in HC and the MDRs. Unlimited brewed coffee or tea is only available for the card holder, you're not supposed to share that. You can share the specialty coffees since there's a limit on how many you get.

I don't suppose you could order a cup of teabag tea for free in room service? Absolutely. Tea or coffee can be ordered from RS at no cost (except for the voluntary tip).

You could also carry tea bags from the HC and ask for a cup of hot water at a bar (not sure about that one) or IC.

• Like 1

For tea drinkers: Last time I was on the Ruby, the tea at the International Cafe was Mighty Leaf, much better than the Liptons at the buffet/dining room. I’m a bit of a tea snob, and Mighty Leaf is one of the few bagged teas I like. That said, I usually just bring a box of Mighty Leaf with me. You can get hot water for free anywhere!

• Like 2

So following along, I am not clear on what is included as far as beverages  with room service -  coffee, tea, juices ( real juice not orange drink stuff), milk, chocolate milk, what times of day? And at the International Cafe-  coffee, tea, juices milk, what times of day?

Glad I'm not the only one confused 😄

I don't think any drink at International Cafe is free (unless you have a card/package) ????

I thought the only free juices were at breakfast in the dining rooms or buffet.  Although maybe room service if you're ordering breakfast?

50 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So following along, I am not clear on what is included as far as beverages  with room service -  coffee, tea, juices ( real juice not orange drink stuff), milk, chocolate milk, what times of day? And at the International Cafe-  coffee, tea, juices milk, what times of day?

I have never seen real orange juice unless it might be in a mixed drink that you pay for.    I believe orange juice is probably the carton variety.    It certainly tasted like it in the morning buffet.

The unlimited soda package includes "fresh fruit juices", and I think I've seen them on the menu at International Cafe.  But I've never ordered one.  Certainly the juices served in the buffet and dining room with breakfast seem to be carton/bottle and not fresh.

As to time of day, International Cafe is open 24/7. Forgot to mention that, among the specialty drinks purchased alone or as a punch on the coffee card, is a pretty good hot chocolate.

I don't use room service much but last time it had the crappy coffee, the cheap tea, water. Definitely did get juice in the morning once or twice at breakfast.

23 minutes ago, Belmont Babe said:

And just to clarify, the "lemonade" mentioned in posts #2 and #3 is not what Aus and NZers would recognize as lemonade ie fizzy Sprite. It's lemon cordial served chilled from large dispensers in the Horizon Court.

Yep, I've been referring to it as "Ye olde lemonaide"  😄 

53 minutes ago, jmstip said:

We sail on Golden next week and have been told by princess that the only package available is the all inclusive package.  Hoping that something else is available to purchase onboard 

The Australian website only has the premium package available to purchase online, the soda and coffee one have to be purchased onboard  (I saw someone in another thread say something to do with the pricing not showing up right for the soda one, and them taking the package off the website - not sure if that's the actual reason why though).  But last I heard they were still available, I'd be surprised if they weren't.  Princess probably meant the only one you can buy online is that one.

27 minutes ago, Obsi said:

The Australian website only has the premium package available to purchase online, the soda and coffee one have to be purchased onboard  (I saw someone in another thread say something to do with the pricing not showing up right for the soda one, and them taking the package off the website - not sure if that's the actual reason why though).  But last I heard they were still available, I'd be surprised if they weren't.  Princess probably meant the only one you can buy online is that one.

I really hope so, it was my dad that rang so hopefully you are right!