So my news just said don’t travel to Mexico for spring break

Mommawo

10 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I saw it on Fox News this morning. The issues tend to be in local housing areas and neighborhoods. Not so much in the tourists areas. Don't stray to far and take ship tours if need be.

Ok thanks I watch our local fox station also.  

1 hour ago, Mommawo said:

....... I assume it’s no more dangerous that Belize and Roatan? 

You're going to "assume" something that may endanger your life, or your families?  Do your research.  Don't rely on opinion boards like this one, nor on news outlets.  Murders are getting closer and closer to the tourist zone in Cancun.  When will it get IN the tourist zone?  Who knows.  Situational awareness is your best friend.

Just now, cajunfla said:

You're going to "assume" something that may endanger your life, or your families?  Do your research.  Don't rely on opinion boards like this one, nor on news outlets.  Murders are getting closer and closer to the tourist zone in Cancun.  When will it get IN the tourist zone?  Who knows.  Situational awareness is your best friend.

Not relying on this site.   I know some people on here are seasoned travelers to Mexico.  I booked carnival excursions in Belize and Roatan due to my concerns with safety there.  Have not booked anything in Mexico yet.  Doing my research and asking for personal experience on here.  Nothing wrong with that.  So don’t assume I’m stupid enough to only ask here for others opinions 

• Like 4

Just now, Mommawo said:

Not relying on this site.   I know some people on here are seasoned travelers to Mexico.  I booked carnival excursions in Belize and Roatan due to my concerns with safety there.  Have not booked anything in Mexico yet.  Doing my research and asking for personal experience on here.  Nothing wrong with that.  So don’t assume I’m stupid enough to only ask here for others opinions 

3 minutes ago, cajunfla said:

As far as situational awareness I absolutely agree.  I am very aware of my surroundings at all times.  I will be out of my comfort zone on this cruise because I’m always in charge of my own safety and I don’t particularly like relying on someone else to kee me out of harms way. I won’t be carrying my concealed firearm and this is what I am use to doing daily.  This also makes you more aware of your surroundings than most people. I take my safety very seriously and so does my husband.  I’m not paranoid by any means just like to be informed.  Sooo this is why I ask people who have been to the area before 

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

According to the US government, there are multiple parts of Mexico that are a level 4 do not travel, just like Syria and Iraq. CNN would never cover that. See, it can go both ways.

"Traveling to Mexico" is a broad topic. There is a huge difference between touristy areas of Cancun and Sinaloa. Generally though, travel is not to those dangerous areas. 

The warning is for Cancun btw 

Edited by Mommawo

1 hour ago, bowlinmoe said:

What part of Mexico?

If you stay with other tourists and on reputable tours, the probability is very high that you will be fine.

(just don't go googling the video of the Cozumel ferry incident....yikes)

Huge area of Mexico according to the given warnings.  I need to google what happened in Cancun  Cancun I guess.  It’s one of them 

Edited by Mommawo

Instead of listening to local news why don't you ask your questions about Mexico in the Trip Adviser forums where people actually live in those cities!!

If you do that you will see that the "threat"  is to folks involved in the local drug trade and not to tourists.

It may surprise you to know that several countries have travel advisories about visiting the USA!!!

I live in San Diego near the border with Mexico(Tijuana) and there are no dangers of going back and forth there despite what you might hear on the news about the "danger at the border"!!

• Like 2

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2019/02/17/cartel-gunmen-storm-cancun-bar-5-killed-12-injured/ 

Quoted from 17 February 2019:

Four cartel gunmen carrying rifles and handguns stormed into a bar in the tourist resort city of Cancun and began firing indiscriminately. The attack on Friday left five dead and 12 others injured.

The shooting took place Friday night at approximately 11:43 p.m., according to a local media report. The attack took place at the La Kuka Bar located at Avenida José López Portillo and Súper Manzana 60 Manzanas 8, within the municipality of Benito Juarez where Cancun is located.

Initial reports indicate that the gunmen entered the establishment armed with one rifle and four handguns. Without warning, the cartel gunmen began firing indiscriminately at employees and bar patrons. Following the attack, the gunmen fled in an unknown direction in two different vehicles. The La Kuka is a strip club located in one of the highest crime areas of Cancun. The area is located just west of the primary tourist zone.

• Thanks 1

if you use the same logic in the States, you should not go to shopping malls, schools, movie theaters, bars, etc.  Sure this stuff can happen anyplace, you just have to be smart to put yourself in the correct situations to minimize the odds.  I have done the western itinerary and we did excursions at each port through local vendors.  At no time did I feel unsafe.  Sure it was eye opening driving through Belize City where police stood on the corners holding AR-15s, but it did not diminish my trip at all.  these vendors know that one bad issue would kill their business.

3 minutes ago, moondog73 said:

if you use the same logic in the States, you should not go to shopping malls, schools, movie theaters, bars, etc.  Sure this stuff can happen anyplace, you just have to be smart to put yourself in the correct situations to minimize the odds.  I have done the western itinerary and we did excursions at each port through local vendors.  At no time did I feel unsafe.  Sure it was eye opening driving through Belize City where police stood on the corners holding AR-15s, but it did not diminish my trip at all.  these vendors know that one bad issue would kill their business.

In the United States at lest I have a chance of shooting back lol. I’m not paranoid was just curious as to if the danger there has escalated recently.  

I did not say that the incident was made up!! It was real!

I just don't think it has anything to do with cruisers and this is a cruise web site not a land travel web site. I suggested going to the land travel web site,Trip Adviser , which has forums in every city in Mexico where people who either live there or stay there for the winter, or visit frequently will talk about safety.

You get a completely different picture when you ask questions in that sort of forum than reading USA news sources.

Yes, shootings occur in bars at midnight.

Yes, shootings occur between gangs.

Cruisers who are in port for a short time during the day are rarely affected by any of these events.

One can never guarantee safety anywhere in the world including in the USA!

IF you read news reports in the UK about all the shootings here in the USA you might never visit here either! My only point is that questions of safety or warnings about safety are only accurate if given by the folks on the ground. I would not go into a war zone but I have no problems visiting ports in Mexico!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I did not say that the incident was made up!! It was real!

I just don't think it has anything to do with cruisers and this is a cruise web site not a land travel web site. I suggested going to the land travel web site,Trip Adviser , which has forums in every city in Mexico where people who either live there or stay there for the winter, or visit frequently will talk about safety.

You get a completely different picture when you ask questions in that sort of forum than reading USA news sources.

Yes, shootings occur in bars at midnight.

Yes, shootings occur between gangs.

Cruisers who are in port for a short time during the day are rarely affected by any of these events.

One can never guarantee safety anywhere in the world including in the USA!

IF you read news reports in the UK about all the shootings here in the USA you might never visit here either! My only point is that questions of safety or warnings about safety are only accurate if given by the folks on the ground. I would not go into a war zone but I have no problems visiting ports in Mexico!

If the cruise stops here then yes it’s appropriate to ask 😆 

last I checked you are not the big cheese who decides what someone can post as a question 🤷‍♀️    Carnival stops at this port therefore it’s a valid question for carnival boards.  Everyone has an opinion just like a belly button you have one and so do I.  

Mexico is huge. Just like the US, some areas are okay and some are extremely dangerous. Carnival cruises most commonly go to Cozumel and Costa Maya which are both safe. Progresso doesn't feel too safe to me. Use your best judgement, don't wear flashy things and don't get out of your mind plastered and you should be fine. 

• Like 3