So my news just said don’t travel to Mexico for spring break

Mommawo

11 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Violence is nothing new to some of the tourist areas even though Mexico tries to keep it quiet.  Cancun just happens to be in the news again.  Last spring they had 14 murders in a 36hr period and 98 murders in the first 3 months ending up with 540 for the year. 

Yikes 

22 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Violence is nothing new to some of the tourist areas even though Mexico tries to keep it quiet.  Cancun just happens to be in the news again.  Last spring they had 14 murders in a 36hr period and 98 murders in the first 3 months ending up with 540 for the year. 

How many of those were in the Hotel Zone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

We feel it’s gotten worse. 

A few years ago was our last cruise to Mexico. 

My travel money is not going anywhere near  Mexico until they get their act together.

If they ever do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Don't the majority of cruise lines go to the same ports in the Caribbean? Traveling via cruise ship is still traveling. I don't see at as being more of a "sanitized" vacation than people who fly to an island and sit at a beach resort all week on a perfect stretch of sand in a country filled with poverty. 

How many posts do you see that ask for a “beach you can walk to” or asking about shopping? How many posters say that they don’t want to leave the port area? 

Many cruisers want a familiar experience with better weather than they have at home. I would also say the same about people who go to a resort and never venture beyond the gate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mommawo said:

Yep I understand the intuition thing.  Always go with your gut. I am in a very safe area in general but I’m not stupid enough to go for jog alone at dark.  That being said as safe of an area we live in dh had to get involved in an incident in a parking lot a while back involved an older lady and a guy who was attempting to rob her.  So it can happen anywhere even the best places 

Yes very true!!

15 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

How many posts do you see that ask for a “beach you can walk to” or asking about shopping? How many posters say that they don’t want to leave the port area? 

Many cruisers want a familiar experience with better weather than they have at home. I would also say the same about people who go to a resort and never venture beyond the gate.

There isnt anything wrong with that, for alot of people. 

3 hours ago, Swampbabe said:

Thank you for describing what made you feel unsafe. I have never had that experience in Mexico but can appreciate that other’s experience may be different. I’ll be in Cozumel again next month and look forward to it.

I’ve just found that cruisers in general, and Carnival in particular, want a sanitized experience in the Caribbean.

No, I love the Caribbean islands. I do not love Mexico in general. (But Cozumel is great!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampbabe said:

True, but that has nothing to do with specific cruise lines. That is kind of the whole point of a cruise which is why they are only in port for a short time. 

20 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Is it? Why do you think Mexican government bothers to deploy machine gun totting soldiers and police in tourist areas and cruise ports? You think these armed to the teeth  uniform dudes are there to sight see ?

LOL, comedy hour....  what exactly is armed t the teeth?  The "security" you see there is there to make you feel better, not worse.  I have been to the areas described literally hundreds of days and never seen or felt ill at ease.  Honduras is an example of some place where she you should not wander around.  The tourist areas at Cozumel, Costa Maya, Play Del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Progresso are fine.  

On 2/21/2019 at 10:01 AM, Mommawo said:

Huge area of Mexico according to the given warnings.  I need to google what happened in Cancun  Cancun I guess.  It’s one of them 

Drug cartels are terrorists. Terrorists tend to target large public areas, or areas that are popular with tourists. Its only a matter of time before that happens in places like Cancun - with lots of tourists. Are tourists encouraged not to leave their AI hotels and go in to town in Cancun?  Its been a while since I have been there. Cozumel is completely different than Cancun, Puerta Vallarta, Ensenada etc

On 2/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, moondog73 said:

if you use the same logic in the States, you should not go to shopping malls, schools, movie theaters, bars, etc.  Sure this stuff can happen anyplace, you just have to be smart to put yourself in the correct situations to minimize the odds.  I have done the western itinerary and we did excursions at each port through local vendors.  At no time did I feel unsafe.  Sure it was eye opening driving through Belize City where police stood on the corners holding AR-15s, but it did not diminish my trip at all.  these vendors know that one bad issue would kill their business.

moondog - drug cartels don't care if they ruin  the businesses of legitimate shops and restaurants. The drug dealers don't fear anyone.  Most of the border towns along the border are suffering from lack of American tourists.  Cartels couldn't care less. They care about getting drugs to dopers in our country.  If they scare tourists away - that's fine with them.

58 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, comedy hour....  what exactly is armed t the teeth? 

You don't know? M4 carbine, M16A2, 12 gauge riot gun with 8 round magazine extension, CB90 patrol boat... But you are right about one thing. None had on them a Rambo survival combat knife or ACOG tactical scope.

Edited by sfaaa

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, comedy hour....  what exactly is armed t the teeth?  The "security" you see there is there to make you feel better, not worse.  I have been to the areas described literally hundreds of days and never seen or felt ill at ease.  Honduras is an example of some place where she you should not wander around.  The tourist areas at Cozumel, Costa Maya, Play Del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Progresso are fine.  

Security theater.

We've traveled extensively and really enjoyed doing lots of "cool stuff" but at this point we're both retired and DH has some mobility issues so we're somewhat limited in what we can do.  We live very near a beautiful beach so cruise beach excursions aren't a big draw for us (but we surely do understand the draw for folks who live inland or in the snowy north)

We've been to most of the islands 2 or more times.  The first time we go to an island we normally take a private tour letting the guide know where we would like to go based on a lot of research (a hobby of ours).   Depending on the island we may or may not spend a lot of time ashore after the initial visit.

These days ... My special love of cruising involved not having to drive anywhere once at the port, food that I don't have to shop for cook or clean up from, a steward who makes towels and ice appear like magic, wine or coffee on the balcony watching the sea go by, and lots of choices in the Lido for breakfast.  Did I mention rum punches, cuban ice tea, and scotch on the rocks with a mere swipe of a card? 😀

We don't see it as being "sanitized" - we see it as a get-away with relaxing fun 🍹:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

Drug cartels are terrorists. Terrorists tend to target large public areas, or areas that are popular with tourists. Its only a matter of time before that happens in places like Cancun - with lots of tourists. Are tourists encouraged not to leave their AI hotels and go in to town in Cancun?  Its been a while since I have been there. Cozumel is completely different than Cancun, Puerta Vallarta, Ensenada etc

Except it does happen where the tourists are.  Downtown Cancun is way different then the hotel zone.  PV where tourists go is the same.

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

You don't know? M4 carbine, M16A2, 12 gauge riot gun with 8 round magazine extension, CB90 patrol boat... But you are right about one thing. None had on them a Rambo survival combat knife or ACOG tactical scope.

You missed the point.....

19 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

We just go home this morning from a Mexican Riviera cruise.  We got off the ship in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and took excursions in both places.  I'm here to tell you that both ports are FANTASTIC. I just don't understand why Americans seem to think Mexico has dead bodies lined up in the streets. I love, love, love Mexico and it's people. So friendly, so accommodating, so happy to see us touristas there enjoying what Mexico has to offer.

My husband works with an engineer who is Mexican, though born and raised in this country. He has many relatives in Mexico and they think people are crazy for coming to the U.S. what with our school shootings, workplace shootings and so forth.  His relatives see the U.S. as being way too violent and dangerous.

Well Said.

I leave with my 11-year-old son next weekend. We have a couple of cultural excursions planned, as well as a beach day. I love Mexico, and can't wait for this cruise!