Tonic on board (again!)

Paul S

Quest in January had Royal Club (ugh) and Schweppes. I always asked for Gordons Gin and Schweppes tonic and the barman often went out the back to the 'special stash' to get a tin. I did not see any Fevertree (but then I did not ask either).

8 minutes ago, Paul S said:

We join Pursuit next week.

Which tonic water is presently available on board? We are wondering whether our packing will need to include a couple of cases of Fevertree!

Paul

There was no Fevertree at all on Pursuit at the end of January and they had even ran  out of Schweppes! Only the vile Seegrams left , so most definitely get it packed. 

Vicki

10 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

On Pursuit in November the bar tender at the entrance to Windows Cafe had FeverTree tonic water. My DH asked and received a couple small bottles to take to our stateroom. 

Thats interesting Bonnie, on that cruise we were told there was none onboard anywhere as they had run out on the transatlantic and no more had come onboard in Miami.  They did find us some schweppes but that too ran out after Panama.  Wish we had known that there was some other places onboard that had stocks.

18 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thats interesting Bonnie, on that cruise we were told there was none onboard anywhere as they had run out on the transatlantic and no more had come onboard in Miami.  They did find us some schweppes but that too ran out after Panama.  Wish we had known that there was some other places onboard that had stocks.

In hindsight I realize I should have mentioned it to you! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Ann, obviously Bonnie didn't look after you the way I did ex Singapore last year. lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are travelling on Quest on 25 May from Seward, Alaska after taking the train from Anchorage. It seems that despite all the complaints, Royal Club is still the default tonic water. I don't like my chances of finding any Fever-Tree tonic in Seward. Or Anchorage, for that matter. My only chance is to find some in Vancouver somehow and put it in my checked luggage (with plenty of padding round it to avoid breakages.

9 hours ago, biggersn said:

...My only chance is to find some in Vancouver somehow ...

Fever Tree is so available here that it's become totally mainstream (the hardcore cocktail bars tend to use locally-made tonics instead, or even their own house blends).

Every supermarket should have at least the classic (and usually a few other flavours, Elderflower seems popular locally) in stock - it's even carried by London Drugs, a pharmacy chain with a pretty modest grocery selection. Just check Google Maps for nearest location of local chains Nester's, Save On Foods, IGA, and Urban Fare to your hotel (and if you are merely hanging around YVR before your next flight, there's a London Drugs inside the airport so you might not even have to take a cab anywhere).

15 hours ago, martincath said:

Fever Tree is so available here that it's become totally mainstream (the hardcore cocktail bars tend to use locally-made tonics instead, or even their own house blends).

Every supermarket should have at least the classic (and usually a few other flavours, Elderflower seems popular locally) in stock - it's even carried by London Drugs, a pharmacy chain with a pretty modest grocery selection. Just check Google Maps for nearest location of local chains Nester's, Save On Foods, IGA, and Urban Fare to your hotel (and if you are merely hanging around YVR before your next flight, there's a London Drugs inside the airport so you might not even have to take a cab anywhere).

Thanks, martincath! Vancouver is clearly the way to go. As it happens, there is an IGA in Robson St a mere one minute's walk away from where we are staying. Perfect!

Edited by biggersn

8 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

The lengths we will all go to to get Fever Tree onboard! I will be packing mine in my suitcase in May. 😄

Me too as I have realised I am flying out from the BA lounge less London City (school girl booking error, check the lounges in future) so no access to a starter pack of mini cans this time.  Oh well, leaves room for Linomcello on the return

• Like 1

What is it with Fevertree?! We really do not care for it with our Gin. Its all down to personal taste I suppose. A relative of mine was on a Gin mixing course in London UK and the tonic recommended by the tutor was.......Waitrose own brand! 

1 hour ago, combine said:

What is it with Fevertree?! We really do not care for it with our Gin. Its all down to personal taste I suppose. A relative of mine was on a Gin mixing course in London UK and the tonic recommended by the tutor was.......Waitrose own brand! 

Waitrose own brand is OK I suppose but it's a bit too sweet for me. Fentiman's is a good tonic too but in my opinion, nothing compares to Fever Tree.

You are right combine, as it is all down to personal taste. I love all the Fever Tree tonics except the Elderflower. The Aromatic and Clementine ones are good enough to drink without any Gin at all. Not that I do that very often! 😄

Edited by Lottie A
  • Like 2

I love the cucumber one if I’m having Hendricks.  By the way I only hope Azamara stock the basic fevertree and fevertree light I know it could never manage the range. Combine is right, it’s individual tastes.  We all will have our favourites and dislikes but I bet if we had a poll there would be one thing we’d be unanimous about, Royal Club ruins a gin, even a bottom shelf gin 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, uktog said:

I love the cucumber one if I’m having Hendricks.  By the way I only hope Azamara stock the basic fevertree and fevertree light I know it could never manage the range. Combine is right, it’s individual tastes.  We all will have our favourites and dislikes but I bet if we had a poll there would be one thing we’d be unanimous about, Royal Club ruins a gin, even a bottom shelf gin 

We did gain a small victory when limited supplies of Fevertree appeared onboard. Haven’t heard on this board anyone recently reporting it has reappeared. As many other cruise lines now stock this as standard let’s hope Azamara will follow suit

i agree with you that Royal Club and such like tonics are a abomination to any gin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uktog said:

In my opinion most of the Azamara included drinks are bottom shelf anyway and at the current cruise prices they should be upgraded, the tonic being top priority. 

• Like 1