miami airport hotels

cruisegirl1

There are so many choices for airport hotels.    I generally do chains like Hampton/Hilton/Fairfield.  I have a Fairfield  (Airport south)  and a Hampton Inn (Airport west) booked.   Hotels are comparable  the price was about  the same. Is one  area better than the other?     Thanks

M

2 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Checking the reviews in TripAdvisor may be of help.

Thanks-both had similar reviews. I was more unsure of the neighborhoods  than the particular hotels. Both are decent mid price chains 

thx

M

Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon is very popular with cruisers.  Nicer area with a strip mall nearby with dining and shopping options within walking distance.

If you are arriving earlier in the day staying dowtown, with lots of local dining and nightlife optios, is the usual suggestion.  Hampton Inn Mary Brickell is often suggested.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, Noxequifans said:

Usually the areas immediately surrounding airports are not the most comfortable for exploring. That said, you probably have evaluated the prices in other areas and decided to stay near MIA.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:39 PM, JohninDC said:

Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon is very popular with cruisers.  Nicer area with a strip mall nearby with dining and shopping options within walking distance.

If you are arriving earlier in the day staying dowtown, with lots of local dining and nightlife optios, is the usual suggestion.  Hampton Inn Mary Brickell is often suggested.

Thank you both.   We don't get in to Miami till 6 PM.   Yes - we went for price.  We are a bit late in the  travel planning for  this upcoming cruise  and many of the other hotels  often recommended were more than we wanted to spend basically just to sleep.  We travel often and much of it is pre cruise so  we don't need a hotel with lots of amenities.   Those things are only important if we have a longer hotel stay and can enjoy the amenities.  Airport shuttle was important  as we won't have a car  for the short pre cruise time.  And, there is always uber.  

Thanks again. 

m

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon which is across a lagoon from Hampton Inn last week.  It was cheaper for us than Hampton.  Nice hotel, big breakfast and little kitchen if you need it.  We walked over to the Cuban restaurant in the strip mall by the Publix. It was awesome.  There is an Italian and Mexican place there also and a Publix and liquor store.  Nice walk and felt safe.  Uber to the port the next day was $15.   

8 hours ago, Krisco said:

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon which is across a lagoon from Hampton Inn last week.  It was cheaper for us than Hampton.  Nice hotel, big breakfast and little kitchen if you need it.  We walked over to the Cuban restaurant in the strip mall by the Publix. It was awesome.  There is an Italian and Mexican place there also and a Publix and liquor store.  Nice walk and felt safe.  Uber to the port the next day was $15.   

We're planning to stay there in a few weeks. Is it a far walk to the restaurants?

11 hours ago, cruises42 said:

We're planning to stay there in a few weeks. Is it a far walk to the restaurants?

It is about 1/2 mile or 10 minute walk as you have to walk back to the main road around the lagoon, but it's a leisurely walk with sidewalks and crosswalk when you get to the main street.  There is even a Burlington in the strip mall we stopped and people were buying last minute flip flops and shorts, etc. if you forget anything.  We decided to stay there again in April as the rate was really cheap also.  And they have a shuttle from the airport.

12 hours ago, Krisco said:

It is about 1/2 mile or 10 minute walk as you have to walk back to the main road around the lagoon, but it's a leisurely walk with sidewalks and crosswalk when you get to the main street.  There is even a Burlington in the strip mall we stopped and people were buying last minute flip flops and shorts, etc. if you forget anything.  We decided to stay there again in April as the rate was really cheap also.  And they have a shuttle from the airport.

Thanks! Do you happen to know the name of the restaurant? I'd like to Google it for menus.

The Cuban restaurant we had dinner was Casa Juan. there is a Cantina Fresh Mexican Grill and Anacapri Italian in the same strip mall as the Burlington and Publix.  If you google maps the hotels on the blue lagoon strip and zoom out, the strip mall is on

NW 7th and NW 57th Ave called Airpark Plaza.  That will give you also a good idea on the walk.  There looks like some other restaurants in there like a Subway and Starbucks, etc.  Good luck

The Cuban restaurant we had dinner was Casa Juan. there is a Cantina Fresh Mexican Grill and Anacapri Italian in the same strip mall as the Burlington and Publix.  If you google maps the hotels on the blue lagoon strip and zoom out, the strip mall is on

NW 7th and NW 57th Ave called Airpark Plaza.  That will give you also a good idea on the walk.  There looks like some other restaurants in there like a Subway and Starbucks, etc.  Good luck

Thanks so much!!

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, Krisco said:

I looked at the menu for Casa Juan (yum)! What did you have? It all looks so good!

Another vote for Blue Lagoon area. I l love the sweet plantains (maduros) at Casa Juan.   Very safe feeling and walkable area, and we love going to the Publix too.  They have a great deli counter and make great sandwiches.

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

One more vote for Casa Juan! We could not decide what to order from their extensive menu, so they made us a sampler. It was fantastic!

We have stayed at Homewood Suites and walked over to Airpark Plaza. I endorse the easy 10 mt walk and the convenience of having everything you may need last minute so close in one place.

I am also looking at a downtown hotel in Brickell for our next cruise, but leaning more towards the Blue Lagoon area since we will be there for one night and arriving after 5 pm.

For our dates in April the HWS is a bit pricey, but a couple of the dot com sites had listed it for $103. I think one was hotels dot com.

Edited by Arzeena

11 hours ago, Arzeena said:

One more vote for Casa Juan! We could not decide what to order from their extensive menu, so they made us a sampler. It was fantastic!

We have stayed at Homewood Suites and walked over to Airpark Plaza. I endorse the easy 10 mt walk and the convenience of having everything you may need last minute so close in one place.

I am also looking at a downtown hotel in Brickell for our next cruise, but leaning more towards the Blue Lagoon area since we will be there for one night and arriving after 5 pm.

For our dates in April the HWS is a bit pricey, but a couple of the dot com sites had listed it for $103. I think one was hotels dot com.

Thanks! With all the good recommendations for Casa Juan I think that's where we will be eating!

Edited by cruises42

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, Krisco said:

We have never used Uber but we are thinking about it from the hotel to port then to airport. When you go to port does the Uber  have to sit in a line of cars to drop you off or does it bypass cars like some shuttles do and go to the front of the line. 

11 hours ago, cruises42 said:

We have never used Uber but we are thinking about it from the hotel to port then to airport. When you go to port does the Uber  have to sit in a line of cars to drop you off or does it bypass cars like some shuttles do and go to the front of the line. 

Our Uber driver went in along with taxis and dropped us right off so there was no long line of cars in Miami.  However, it was pretty early, like 10AM so not a lot of traffic going in, more on the other side going out.  The only issue was we needed to find a porter to take our luggage but again I think because they were all taking off disemarkment passengers as we were so early.  It's easy however.  I have had so many issues with taxi's in Miami. Saying they don't have a credit card machine and need cash, headed to airport instead of port of Miami, etc.  I love Uber and Lyft.  

Our Uber driver went in along with taxis and dropped us right off so there was no long line of cars in Miami.  However, it was pretty early, like 10AM so not a lot of traffic going in, more on the other side going out.  The only issue was we needed to find a porter to take our luggage but again I think because they were all taking off disemarkment passengers as we were so early.  It's easy however.  I have had so many issues with taxi's in Miami. Saying they don't have a credit card machine and need cash, headed to airport instead of port of Miami, etc.  I love Uber and Lyft.  

Thank you! Did you take an Uber back to the airport? If so, is it hard to get one once you leave the ship?

12 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Thank you! Did you take an Uber back to the airport? If so, is it hard to get one once you leave the ship?

Yes cruises42, we actually took a Lyft from Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport.  It was not hard to get one, it's just a little hard to find them in the rows of taxi's and car services.  We just requested one on the app and told them where we were standing in the cab pickup line.  Had to wave them down but they called us so just stayed on the phone with us until we waved them over to the side.  When I went on app to request a ride there were several you could see waiting.  I think he said they wait in same area as cabs to be called.  Good luck. 

11 hours ago, Krisco said:

Yes cruises42, we actually took a Lyft from Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport.  It was not hard to get one, it's just a little hard to find them in the rows of taxi's and car services.  We just requested one on the app and told them where we were standing in the cab pickup line.  Had to wave them down but they called us so just stayed on the phone with us until we waved them over to the side.  When I went on app to request a ride there were several you could see waiting.  I think he said they wait in same area as cabs to be called.  Good luck. 

Thanks for all your help! 🙂

Another vote for Casa Juan.  We got the Cuban and the steak sandwiches.  The Cuban was really yummy.  

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon.  Hotel was nice, clean, reasonably priced, conveniently located, and had a nice free breakfast.  Planning on staying again for next years cruise.

20 minutes ago, cincicruisers said:

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon.  Hotel was nice, clean, reasonably priced, conveniently located, and had a nice free breakfast.  Planning on staying again for next years cruise.

Love the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon.  We use their free shuttle from the airport.  Then, we use the $10 per person shuttle from Hampton Inn to Port of Miami.  Just sign up for it at the front desk.   We have used it four or five times now, very reliable.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 7:49 PM, Sand and Seas said:

Love the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon.  We use their free shuttle from the airport.  Then, we use the $10 per person shuttle from Hampton Inn to Port of Miami.  Just sign up for it at the front desk.   We have used it four or five times now, very reliable.   

What time did the shuttle leave? I’m currently booked at the InterContinental downtown but have been curious about this Hampton Inn for my last couple cruises. It looks to be very walkable....so would you safe it’s relatively safe for a solo walker?