Galveston Terminal

villagenut

What time does the terminal open and allow people to start checking in.  We have FTTF and we enjoy arriving as early as possible even if it means hanging out in the terminal until boarding begins.  I have heard the doors open anywhere from 9 to 11am but i'm sure there is a more exact time than that.  Anyone know?

Question is what time does screening start for arriving passengers . The doors to screening area are open for access to building for employees and for all to have access to restrooms. I have asked through PM an employee that works that area. Will hear back at sometime . 

Also remember if the boat is late arriving due to the fog ( easily can happen in Galveston ), you may be allowed in the terminal, but could possibly have an extremely long wait. It happened to us...we arrived at the terminal before 11 am...the boat had to stay put outside the channel until the fog dissipated. By the time it arrived and debarked the stressed out passengers, it was after 3 PM before anyone was onboard. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. That was a long boring day waiting...and everyone was hungry and anxious to get going.

There is a partial closure on the Houston Ship Channel today due to the chemical tank farm in Deer Park that caught fire on Sunday. I'm unsure if that's going to affect any of the cruise ships in Galveston or not, but everyone's a little jumpy in Houston this week.

27 minutes ago, MrSnarkyPants said:

There is a partial closure on the Houston Ship Channel today due to the chemical tank farm in Deer Park that caught fire on Sunday. I'm unsure if that's going to affect any of the cruise ships in Galveston or not, but everyone's a little jumpy in Houston this week.

The channel to the port of Galveston is not part of the Houston Ship Channel.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:04 PM, villagenut said:

Thanks, we will be on carnival

we went two hours earlier than what canival said for us to go. was no problem ! got on board earlier and had extratime to wander around

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, villagenut said:

What time does the terminal open and allow people to start checking in.  We have FTTF and we enjoy arriving as early as possible even if it means hanging out in the terminal until boarding begins.  I have heard the doors open anywhere from 9 to 11am but i'm sure there is a more exact time than that.  Anyone know?

Most of the time you get assigned a time slot to check in.  The terminal is small and gets backed up when a lot of people show up at one time.  Also most of the ships have off going passengers until 1130ish, if the ship came in on time.  I don't know what time of year you are coming but that would make a difference with the fog issues.  According to a buddy who works the terminal the doors are open for oncoming passengers at 11am, but if there are disembarking issues you will just get to stand in line and stare at the security folks.

3 hours ago, firest911 said:

Most of the time you get assigned a time slot to check in.  The terminal is small and gets backed up when a lot of people show up at one time.  Also most of the ships have off going passengers until 1130ish, if the ship came in on time.  I don't know what time of year you are coming but that would make a difference with the fog issues.  According to a buddy who works the terminal the doors are open for oncoming passengers at 11am, but if there are disembarking issues you will just get to stand in line and stare at the security folks.

How is the port in mid August? I saw the flood flash last year sept 3, I was alittle concern to go from there

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2019 at 12:04 AM, Fatcat604 said:

How is the port in mid August? I saw the flood flash last year sept 3, I was alittle concern to go from there

Tillie speaks the truth.

It can get bad here, but you can't predict what areas will get bad or when. 

Also, keep in mind that Houston and Galveston are about 50 miles apart and Houston itself is massive, so what you might see on the news is only affecting a small part of the region.

Chances are slim that a hurricane is going to hit while you're away - but if one does, I would not want my car parked on the island.

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 11:43 AM, hillbillycruisers said:

Also remember if the boat is late arriving due to the fog ( easily can happen in Galveston ), you may be allowed in the terminal, but could possibly have an extremely long wait. It happened to us...we arrived at the terminal before 11 am...the boat had to stay put outside the channel until the fog dissipated. By the time it arrived and debarked the stressed out passengers, it was after 3 PM before anyone was onboard. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. That was a long boring day waiting...and everyone was hungry and anxious to get going.

what time of year is fog an issue?

6 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

what time of year is fog an issue?

Fog can happen with Mother Nature November to April. 

However with resolution of law suit filed by cruise lines against pilots , who  wanted pay raises and new engines for  boats ,  there is now movement of ships during fog in channels . 

Fog is not the issue it used to be in Galveston .