Upgrade bid experiences

Grandma Cruising

We've been waiting for more than 80 days to our upgrade bid offer & our cruise is in 6 days from Hong Kong. We fly out in a few days & have our luggage tags reflecting our current cabin number. There were at least 7 suites available when we started & for most of the time and just this current week it shows all suites sold out. So far I haven't recieved a response to our bid as  it still shows "pending". You would think that a response could be sent by now, either way.

Edited by dabear

The program is consistent with Celebrity's (and maybe Royal Caribbean's too).  It's an efficient way for each line to increase revenue at little cost.  If this grosses them an additional $20K or more per itinerary, it makes sense.  It's doubtful that it has anything to do with fairness or efficiencies.  For every passenger upset with the new program, there is another who is happy.  In that, it's probably a zero sum game.  They weighed what they perceived as the damage from those who believe they lost an earned perk against the added revenue, and made a business decision.  

This topic is about people’s experiences of the ‘new’ upgrade bid programme. It’s intended to help members with the process. I’d be grateful if posters could stick to the topic. 
Here’s the link to the spreadsheet again, to save new readers searching the topic https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

If you have problems accessing this version, let me know and I’ll post the link to a PDF version.

10 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

This topic is about people’s experiences of the ‘new’ upgrade bid programme. It’s intended to help members with the process. I’d be grateful if posters could stick to the topic. 
Here’s the link to the spreadsheet again, to save new readers searching the topic https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

If you have problems accessing this version, let me know and I’ll post the link to a PDF version.

I am so sorry to read this.....there are a few posters on the Azamara thread who can sometimes be so judgemental and bullying... . and we all know who they are... always undermining folks to the extent that we are scared to respond......but you Grandma have never used this type of language before. I guess you are just a bit fed up . Thank you for all your hard work... you are not usually like this. x

Azamara are so not like this either.

37 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

I am so sorry to read this.....there are a few posters on the Azamara thread who can sometimes be so judgemental and bullying... . and we all know who they are... always undermining folks to the extent that we are scared to respond......but you Grandma have never used this type of language before. I guess you are just a bit fed up . Thank you for all your hard work... you are not usually like this. x

Azamara are so not like this either.

I’m just asking people to stick to the topic for the benefit of those who read it to find out how this new upgrade system works and what sort of bids have been made & their success.

I’m pleased to hear that you appreciate my work on these forums - thank you.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’m just asking people to stick to the topic for the benefit of those who read it to find out how this new upgrade system works and what sort of bids have been made & their success.

I’m pleased to hear that you appreciate my work on these forums - thank you.

Your work is very much appreciated. It's just such a pity that every now and then some 'regulars / Azamara experts'  are so intimidating...maybe they don't know how they are coming across to others... but they are quite offensive at times. I have been at the receiving end more than once, so I am quite anxious and extremely careful about responding on this thread. It is a kind of bullying. I say again... absolutely NOT what Azamara is about to me after almost 20 cruises with them.

• Like 3

Upgraded from Oceanview (04) to Veranda (V2 ).

Asked to bid 8 October and submitted bid that evening. Heard 9 October been successful - 10 days before cruise.

Consulted Grandma Cruising's speadsheet first which found most helpful and surprised to be successful as veranda category was showing "sold out".

Cruise date - 19 October; 7 nights

Loyalty level - Explorer

Min bid - £330 (£165 pp)

Bid - £340 (£170 pp); bid = "weak"

Cabin type booked - Oceanview

Cabin bid for  - Veranda

Bid cost per night - £48.57

• Like 1

Thanks for this scotsahoy, I’ve added the information to the spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

When you say ‘Asked to bid on 8 October’, do you mean that’s when you got an email inviting you to bid, or did you try it through the website?

Many thanks Grandma Cruising; yes, we received an e mail inviting us to bid for a veranda, which made me think there maybe was slight possibility some cabins were available despite web site showing as sold out. A few clicks later and our bid was in!

18 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks scotsahoy. That's a very short time before your cruise. maybe someone cancelled.

I hope this question is not something we shouldn’t be asking but what is the “normal” time period when people are usually notified if their bid has been accepted?

2 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I hope this question is not something we shouldn’t be asking but what is the “normal” time period when people are usually notified if their bid has been accepted?

I don’t think there is a ‘normal’ time. If you look at the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M
you’ll see that in the final column some of the entries include a note saying when they were notified of the bid success or otherwise. Quite a few of these heard at around 30 days before the cruise, but others heard the day before the cruise and one or two heard 6 to 8 weeks beforehand, so it seems there is no ‘normal’ time.

(If you have problems seeing the spreadsheet let me know and I’ll post a link to a PDF version).

13 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I don’t think there is a ‘normal’ time. If you look at the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M
you’ll see that in the final column some of the entries include a note saying when they were notified of the bid success or otherwise. Quite a few of these heard at around 30 days before the cruise, but others heard the day before the cruise and one or two heard 6 to 8 weeks beforehand, so it seems there is no ‘normal’ time.

(If you have problems seeing the spreadsheet let me know and I’ll post a link to a PDF version).

Thank you.  I could see it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 11:09 PM, midwestchick said:

I just posted this response on the Cabin Thread to the same question...

Here are the possible scenarios:

1. If you have a winning bid, you will get an email anywhere from 60 days - 3 days prior to departure.  That email will include your new stateroom number.
  2. If your bid is unsuccessful, you will get an email 3 days prior to departure stating unsuccessful.

21 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

I just posted this response on the Cabin Thread to the same question...

Here are the possible scenarios:

1. If you have a winning bid, you will get an email anywhere from 60 days - 3 days prior to departure.  That email will include your new stateroom number.
  2. If your bid is unsuccessful, you will get an email 3 days prior to departure stating unsuccessful.

If unsuccessful will you get another chance to bid?  
Have you heard that LCV said there would be no upgrades on the Nov 5 transatlantic from BCN to Miami? 

15 minutes ago, midwestchick said:

If unsuccessful will you get another chance to bid?  
Have you heard that LCV said there would be no upgrades on the Nov 5 transatlantic from BCN to Miami? 

There’s not enough time to submit another bid if you’re notified 3-days prior to sailing. The assignments will all be made by then.

Re. Specific voyages, I’m not in the loop on any of the voyages’ upgrade situations. 

Here's the info on our non-winning bid for a Club Continent suite.  We received notification two days before the sailing date we were not successful.

Cruise date:  October 12, 2019

Loyalty Level:  Explorer

Minimum Bid:  $200 PP
Bid:  $265 PP (weak)
Cabin Type Booked:  V1 veranda
Cabin Bid For: club continent suite
Bid Cost per Night:  $75.71

Just for reference, here were the minimum bids for the other suite categories:
Club Spa:  $1000 PP
Club Ocean:  $1300 PP

Club World:  $1600 PP

1 hour ago, hiccups said:

Here's the info on our non-winning bid for a Club Continent suite.  We received notification two days before the sailing date we were not successful.

Cruise date:  October 12, 2019

Loyalty Level:  Explorer

Minimum Bid:  $200 PP
Bid:  $265 PP (weak)
Cabin Type Booked:  V1 veranda
Cabin Bid For: club continent suite
Bid Cost per Night:  $75.71

Just for reference, here were the minimum bids for the other suite categories:
Club Spa:  $1000 PP
Club Ocean:  $1300 PP

Club World:  $1600 PP

Thanks, hiccups. I’ve added your information to the spreadsheet. How long was your cruise and can you remember when you were invited to bid?

1 minute ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks, hiccups. I’ve added your information to the spreadsheet. How long was your cruise and can you remember when you were invited to bid?

It was a 7 night cruise (hence the $75.41 per night cabin bid).  I never received an invitation to bid--I just kept checking the website.  I contacted my TA when we were at about 80 days out and the bidding said I wasn't eligible.  She contacted Azamara and they told her bidding hadn't yet opened.

I have signed up multiple times for Azamara emails, but each time I check my settings, it's not checked.  So I check it again, save, and then look a month or two later.  Surprise, the Azamara box isn't checked, but the Celebrity one remains checked.  So for our next Azamara cruise, I'll just keep checking the website.

30 minutes ago, hiccups said:

It was a 7 night cruise (hence the $75.41 per night cabin bid).  I never received an invitation to bid--I just kept checking the website.  I contacted my TA when we were at about 80 days out and the bidding said I wasn't eligible.  She contacted Azamara and they told her bidding hadn't yet opened.

I have signed up multiple times for Azamara emails, but each time I check my settings, it's not checked.  So I check it again, save, and then look a month or two later.  Surprise, the Azamara box isn't checked, but the Celebrity one remains checked.  So for our next Azamara cruise, I'll just keep checking the website.

Thanks. I should have done the maths!

21 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

There’s not enough time to submit another bid if you’re notified 3-days prior to sailing. The assignments will all be made by then.

Re. Specific voyages, I’m not in the loop on any of the voyages’ upgrade situations. 

It seems as if you can increase (or decrease) your bid up until they close bidding and then that function is turned off.  That can be any time.  Within one month of your cruise, you may want to put in your best bid.  

Hiccups bid made sense for Explorer.  As an Adventurer, I see $80 per day as more of a comfort zone.  It will probably be different depending on the itinerary.  This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

4 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Hiccups bid made sense for Explorer.  As an Adventurer, I see $80 per day as more of a comfort zone.  It will probably be different depending on the itinerary.  This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As I understand the upgrade scheme, LCV level is not a factor in deciding who gets upgrades.