Upgrade bid experiences

Grandma Cruising

It has been suggested that I start a sticky topic for people who are willing to post their upgrade bidding experience to help us all. If you’re happy to do so could you please let us know the following:

- loyalty level

- was your booking eligible (if not do you know why?)

- cabin category booked

- cabin category bid for, amount of bid & strength of bid on the slider (weak/strong etc)

- result of bid and when you were notified.

If I’ve missed anything you think we need to know, please post and let me know.

These offers are for the same figures for two cruises of different lengths

Note as we are UK bookers all these first prices are sterling second set are likely $ price if a bid was accepted today

Booked:  V1 Balcony

Offered All suite categories results below are club continent/spa/Ocean/Owners

Minimum Bid £150/1610/1910/2140              $198/2125/2522/2825 per person deemed weak

Lowest fair bit £ 640/1970/2470/2760           $845/2600/3260/3645 per person 

Lowest strong bid £910/2180/2780/3100      $1200/2877/3670/4092 per person

Result: No bid made

3 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

It’s been suggested that it might be helpful to also include the ship, cruise start date and cruise length, if possible.

And perhaps LCV status?

Wouldn’t it be simpler to wait and just collate any successful bids people are prepared to share. And set a structure for posts. This is getting way to complicated and will get too confusing

i have discovered certainl6 just now the offer is standard, so once we know the ranges for the various grades of room a simple table can capture it all for everyone and all the extraneous clutter can be dumped. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

Newbie here.  Isn’t that the same as loyalty level?  

It is, but the first couple bids didn't include it.  Possibly like me, they missed it in the first post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Wouldn’t it be simpler to wait and just collate any successful bids people are prepared to share. And set a structure for posts. This is getting way to complicated and will get too confusing

i have discovered certainl6 just now the offer is standard, so once we know the ranges for the various grades of room a simple table can capture it all for everyone and all the extraneous clutter can be dumped. 

Totally agree. I really don't think we need another sticky either. In my view we have too many of them as it is on this board. You end up not seeing the wood for the trees. I have to page half way down the first page to get to live posts. 

Phil 

52 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Totally agree. I really don't think we need another sticky either. In my view we have too many of them as it is on this board. You end up not seeing the wood for the trees. I have to page half way down the first page to get to live posts. 

Phil 

I too was a bit concerned that we now have a lot of sticky threads, Phil. I have unpinned a couple of them. I think this one is worth leaving here for a while at least, until we have some more information. I’m sure it will slow down once people have more experience of the process and I could then unpin it.

4 hours ago, uktog said:

I certainly think that now we understand the bidding process a bit better, it would be sensible to only gather information about bids that are actually made, and then (later obviously) their success or otherwise. I’ve been thinking about how to put it into a table - not easy given the number of variables. Any ideas you have would be gratefully received.

The following structure captures everything that posters have suggested, but I’m very open to other ideas.

1. LCV level

2. Ship, cruise date, length & region

3. Cabin type booked

4. Cabin type(s) bid for with amount(s) bid & strength of bid(s)

Then at a later date people could return and say whether any of their bids were successful.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

1. LCV level

Discover, I had already requested upgrade through previous LCV program

2. Ship, cruise date, length & region

Journey 28th May 19 14 nights Barcelona to Greenwich 

3. Cabin type booked

accessible inside

4. Cabin type(s) bid for with amount(s) bid & strength of bid(s)

ocean view (told I would only be upgraded to an accessible)

bid minimum bid of $200pp weak 

I’ve had an email thanking me for my bid, I didn’t get the original email inviting me to bid but used the link from Bonnie

Edited by DebbieMacG

On 3/16/2019 at 6:39 AM, uktog said:

This.

The NCL thread has thousands of posts and is only of use to people who can out-do "Rain Man".

The more compact we can get it, the more useful it may be.

• Like 1

Just now, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Once I have some successful bids I will try to summarise the key information in some way. Not sure how yet (I’d welcome advice from anyone who’s a whiz on presenting quite complicated information in table or similar form).

Use an excel spreadsheet, slot bids into some order as you transfer information over then save the spreadsheet as a PDF file to upload it here.  It really has to be excel or a more advanced database such as Access saved back as a PDF to be useful.  Whoever looks after the spreadsheet has to do the work to keep the sheet useful and you need to minimise the information you gather.  So date, bidder loyalty level, category bid (e.g. verandah) minimum acceptable bid, (figure) bid made (figure) bid strength (weak, fair strong) outcome (upgraded or not).  It looks from the data to date that ship and length of cruise is irrelevant the bid figures set by Azamara are the same

Thanks for the suggestions

Not using ship, cruise length or region would be helpful. I’ll have a go - I’m quite happy using a spreadsheet. Can you tell me why it needs to be saved as a PDF for a link to be uploaded? For the Tips for Azamara Newbies file I just used a google spreadsheet with sharing permission and posted the link.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Because a PDF can be read but not edited by anyone, you need to retain some control or a mischief maker could come in a wreck the sheet.  Google is not user friendly on many systems - for example many macs, hence why I can never see any of the sheets you upload

Denise . . . The “Journey 1 July 2019” Google spreadsheet you created is view only, so others cannot change what you have created.  I can read that file fine on all of my Apple products (MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone).

59 minutes ago, Rabo said:

Denise . . . The “Journey 1 July 2019” Google spreadsheet you created is view only, so others cannot change what you have created.  I can read that file fine on all of my Apple products (MacBook Air, iPad, and iPhone).

That's what I thought.