Upgrade bid experiences

Grandma Cruising

On 3/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for the suggestions

Not using ship, cruise length or region would be helpful. I’ll have a go - I’m quite happy using a spreadsheet. Can you tell me why it needs to be saved as a PDF for a link to be uploaded? For the Tips for Azamara Newbies file I just used a google spreadsheet with sharing permission and posted the link.

You need cruise length, otherwise "bid $200" has no relevance. $200 for 8 nights or 14 nights, for instance. I agree ship and region is not needed. Also LCV level is irrelevant to the bidding process.

13 hours ago, Port Power said:

You need cruise length, otherwise "bid $200" has no relevance. $200 for 8 nights or 14 nights, for instance. I agree ship and region is not needed. Also LCV level is irrelevant to the bidding process.

I have now added cruise length https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

I think LCV level needs to stay so hopefully eventually we may be able to see whether/to what extent, LCV level affects the outcome of a bid

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Port Power said:

Also LCV level is irrelevant to the bidding process.

Not sure why you think that.  It supposedly is used as a factor in determining the winning bid.  So you'd need to know LCV level to assess any winning bids posted in this thread.

Would it not be better to wait until the outcome of bids are known before posting and adding to the spreadsheet. Otherwise it is going to be difficult to tie up bids with outcomes. 

Whilst this spreadsheet may have potential to be useful it’s currently still in the category of potential confusion. 

Far cleaner if people wait and tell us what they bid and whether it was successful (plus their loyalty level)

That said you also need a disclaimer past bids will not guarantee future success!  I have a b2b coming up (won’t be bidding) but I know one is booked more solidly than the other. So I would expect successful bids to be at a far higher level on that one. There are so many variables that might come into play, we are only going to have a historical snapshot. That’s not surprising and will be why the process has been constructed this way by the cruise line. 

3 minutes ago, uktog said:

Would it not be better to wait until the outcome of bids are known before posting and adding to the spreadsheet. Otherwise it is going to be difficult to tie up bids with outcomes. 

Whilst this spreadsheet may have potential to be useful it’s currently still in the category of potential confusion. 

Far cleaner if people wait and tell us what they bid and whether it was successful (plus their loyalty level)

That said you also need a disclaimer past bids will not guarantee future success!  I have a b2b coming up (won’t be bidding) but I know one is booked more solidly than the other. So I would expect successful bids to be at a far higher level on that one. There are so many variables that might come into play, we are only going to have a historical snapshot. That’s not surprising and will be why the process has been constructed this way by the cruise line. 

Yes, I agree. I only published it to check that people could see it and think it will be useful.  I know whose bids I have entered, so I can tie them up once people post success or not.

I presume you can read the spreadsheet. Could you read both or just the second one?

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

24 minutes ago, uktog said:

I agree.

I think at the best the results will be suggestive rather than provide clear answers. Useful in a general sense, but likely to lead to much idle speculation.

I have argued that the old “system” was perhaps more opaque and less rule-bound than thought.

I’m not convinced this approach will be any clearer.

So, faced with this situation, perhaps it’s just as well to put our faith in a magic “upgrade fairy’” and not expect too much useful clarity.

On a darker note, I rather worry that if I post any bid then I will reveal myself to some critics on this forum as hopelessly foolish (although that may already be done), but, more importantly,  someone at the same loyalty level may decide to use that information to outbid me. 

Having said this, I do appreciate the usual effort by our Host to make this forum as informative as possible. 

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nordski said:

I agree.

I think at the best the results will be suggestive rather than provide clear answers. Useful in a general sense, but likely to lead to much idle speculation.

I have argued that the old “system” was perhaps more opaque and less rule-bound than thought.

I’m not convinced this approach will be any clearer.

So, faced with this situation, perhaps it’s just as well to put our faith in a magic “upgrade fairy’” and not expect too much useful clarity.

On a darker note, I rather worry that if I post any bid then I will reveal myself to some critics on this forum as hopelessly foolish (although that may already be done), but, more importantly,  someone at the same loyalty level may decide to use that information to outbid me. 

Having said this, I do appreciate the usual effort by our Host to make this forum as informative as possible. 

If you’re concerned about others using information about your bid to ‘out bid’ you, then it would be better to do as uktog says and not post information about your bid until you know the outcome. 

I guess eventually we will see if/how useful this information is, but it will take a while until we can see the outcomes from bids made. 

• Thanks 1

Still do not get emails. Neither does my TA.  That puts me in the “trash.?”  I keep signing up , check my spam, etc. nothing!  Wonder if I will get the bidding email?  Doesn’t look favorable.

i have paid my final payment. I haven’t had any communication from Azamara about my cruise.  I have my cruise confirmation and the cruise is listed in My Azamara. Is there a trick to really getting on the email list?  On the other hand, there are other cruise lines that keep me on their email list even after requests to unsubscribe.  Looks like IT has some bugs.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Still do not get emails. Neither does my TA.  That puts me in the “trash.?”  I keep signing up , check my spam, etc. nothing!  Wonder if I will get the bidding email?  Doesn’t look favorable.

i have paid my final payment. I haven’t had any communication from Azamara about my cruise.  I have my cruise confirmation and the cruise is listed in My Azamara. Is there a trick to really getting on the email list?  On the other hand, there are other cruise lines that keep me on their email list even after requests to unsubscribe.  Looks like IT has some bugs.

I didn’t get the email either but I still bid using the link Bonnie provided.

Wonder if you get a response to your bid.  Somehow it seems a bit unfair that some people know about the changes or got the emails.  Still feel left out. If I didn’t read cruisecritic, I would not know about anything happening on Azamara.  

When Celebrity started the bidding for upgrades, my TA told me about it. 

Sadly, the precruise experience does not match the actual cruise. 

Just had 2 emails (one each) asking if we wish to bid for upgrades on our June cruise.

When I looked on the Azamara site all categories except CC are already sold out so what is the point in bidding.

Not that I am interested anyway at the prices quoted, quite happy with our balcony in our chosen location.

That is how I felt on my recent Celebrity cruise. I had a cabin midship in a great location. It just did not make sense bidding for a higher category cabin in an unknown location. The more that I think about the new bidding, the more that I am hesitant to bid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 9:28 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

If you’re concerned about others using information about your bid to ‘out bid’ you, then it would be better to do as uktog says and not post information about your bid until you know the outcome. 

I guess eventually we will see if/how useful this information is, but it will take a while until we can see the outcomes from bids made. 

Do  you think there still will be an "upgrade fairy".  I really doubt it:)

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Redtravel said:

Unfortunately, those of us who book via Azamara and do not have a different travel agent, and who don't get e-mails, don't even get changes to upcoming booked and paid for cruises, unless we follow and read on Cruise Critic.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:58 AM, Bloodaxe said:

When I looked on the Azamara site all categories except CC are already sold out so what is the point in bidding.

Hi Bloodaxe,

I understand you're not, but *if* you were interested, even when our inventory is showing no available suites above you, it still makes sense to make a bid (again assuming you were interested.) This is because there are always close-in cancellations for any variety of reasons. That's why some Upgrades happen very close-in to sailing date. 

3 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Bloodaxe,

I understand you're not, but *if* you were interested, even when our inventory is showing no available suites above you, it still makes sense to make a bid (again assuming you were interested.) This is because there are always close-in cancellations for any variety of reasons. That's why some Upgrades happen very close-in to sailing date. 

Thanks for your interest Bonnie but has I said I like to choose my location.

I think that's a major flaw in this new system..

• Like 1

It seems this upgrade programme does not consider loyal customers. We booked a cruise this year using our LCV benefits but accoring to Azamara that excludes us from bidding for an upgrade. Funny way of looking after regular customers. We've paid in full and opted-in to emails.

This was my reply:

To be Eligible, the following requirements must be met:

•Booking must be after final payment.

•Booking must be made under full fare or general marketplace promotions only.

•You must be opted-in to receive Azamara marketing e-mails.

12 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

It seems to me it is like being asked to pay more for a guarantee cabin rather than less,

If you don't know were your allocation is going to be it's a bad deal.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brokeville1 said:

It seems this upgrade programme does not consider loyal customers. We booked a cruise this year using our LCV benefits but accoring to Azamara that excludes us from bidding for an upgrade. Funny way of looking after regular customers. We've paid in full and opted-in to emails.

This was my reply:

To be Eligible, the following requirements must be met:

•Booking must be after final payment.

•Booking must be made under full fare or general marketplace promotions only.

•You must be opted-in to receive Azamara marketing e-mails.

I was assured by Bonnie, and others on this thread, that cruises bought onboard using LCV discounts etc still counted as ‘full fare or general marketplace promotions’ and would NOT disqualify anyone from making an upgrade bid. I will be very disappointed of this proves not to be the case.

21 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Hi Bloodaxe, 

Azamara Upgrade is not designed to get a guest the ‘exact’ room they want. As I've said earlier if some location or amenity is important to you, it's best to buy the stateroom/suite you want to sail in for your holiday, rather than gamble on an unknown. This way you can insure the exact location and amenities. But there are cruisers who are interested in trying for a higher category than what they typically sail in, at a price they determine but obviously less than brochure fare.

To each his own.

2 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Bloodaxe, 

Azamara Upgrade is not designed to get a guest the ‘exact’ room they want. As I've said earlier if some location or amenity is important to you, it's best to buy the stateroom/suite you want to sail in for your holiday, rather than gamble on an unknown. This way you can insure the exact location and amenities. But there are cruisers who are interested in trying for a higher category than what they typically sail in, at a price they determine but obviously less than brochure fare.

To each his own.

I totally agree, but I believe that it would be better if you could either accept or decline when a upgrade was offered has it was before.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

Hi the link to the spreadsheet does not work for me. 

We're on the 7 night France Intensive on April 13. We are booked in a club veranda. I'll post our bid and results once the bidding is complete.  (Why would I reveal my bid or the category when others might bid $1 higher after reading this post?)

Does anyone know if you get all the perks of the category cabin if your bid wins the upgrade? What about points?

3 minutes ago, SoCruisey said:

Hi the link to the spreadsheet does not work for me. 

We're on the 7 night France Intensive on April 13. We are booked in a club veranda. I'll post our bid and results once the bidding is complete.  (Why would I reveal my bid or the category when others might bid $1 higher after reading this post?)

Does anyone know if you get all the perks of the category cabin if your bid wins the upgrade? What about points?

Here’s a link to a PDF version of the spreadsheet. https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5vytpus2j9rpum/Azamara Upgrade Bids.pdf?dl=0

I hope this one works for you.

I agree it’s a better idea to post the information about your bid when you know if it’s been successful.

Yes, you do get the perks of the cabin, so if you get an upgrade to a suite you get the speciality dining, Butler, bottles of spirit in the cabin, use of the thalassotherapy pool etc. However, you don’t get the points associated with that cabin, you keep the points for the cabin you originally booked.

I asked my TA and I asked Azamara how much or how often we could bring bottles of wine onboard. They both said there is no limit. And on the website, unlike Celebrity which specifically states "2 bottles fine wine per cabin," Azamara says nothing about limits.

We like wine. Fine wine. 

Has anyone had any experience bringing a couple of bottles on board an azamara ship from port?

When in France do as the French do...and the French drink wine.