Upgrade to Elite From Explore 4 Signature

Saphire

Our cruise is just around the corner and we have the Explore 4 promotion which includes the Signature Beverage Package. After reading that there are fewer eligible wines, we would like to upgrade to the Elite package. I am unsure if we can do it. Has anyone had success with this? Thanks!

We loved the Elite package.  Wines aren't the best but much better selection of very tasty wines.  They still have the Nicholas Feuillante champagne you just have to ask for it.  The Chateau St. Michelle sparkling is a pretty good replacement for it if unavailable.   That was $15 last month.  Sauvignon blanc was Nobilo.  Drinkable but need the Elite package to get it.  I don't understand why they don't offer more of the Chateau St. Michelle by the glass especially the reds.  If you are dining in the PG you may get your wine steward to sell you ounce pours of some of the better stuff they have open since they seem to be using a Coravin to save these wines ( on Rotterdam).  I imagine they are the left overs from the Cellar Master dinners, fine wine tasting, or de Libreje wines offered by the glass with those meals.  It was a good way to use our unused beverages from a our package at the end of a good meal.  

On 3/18/2019 at 4:42 PM, Saphire said:

... After reading that there are fewer eligible wines, we would like to upgrade to the Elite package. 

I have read multiple times that you must upgrade before using the SBP even once, so start looking for bartenders as soon as you can! 

We will be doing the same thing on the Noordam in July with our X4 promo SBP. HAL website even mentions the ability to upgrade from SBP to EBP on the first day of the cruise. I will print that page and take it with me on the Noordam. Several CC members who have done the upgrade suggest you go to one of the bars not on the Lido that isn't as busy on the first day and have any bartender do your upgrade. You may have to get assertive to get it done.

The difference between the 2 packages is about $11pp/day which will pay for itself with one glass of better wine each day. Most of the regular drinks in the bars are under the $9 SBP price limit so the better wine selection is the only reason I can see to upgrade. We like a couple of glasses of wine with dinner so the EBP will be perfect for us.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

A year ago we had the Signature drinks package as a promotion and we chose to upgrade to Elite specially because of the wine selections.  We drink wine at dinner and the Signature selections are very limited.  With Elite we had a lot more to choose from, white red and rose and we drank a different one with each course.  Very nice and worth the small upcharge, IMO.  If you are not wine drinkers, then the upgrade may not be worth your time.

On my recent Zaandam cruise we also had the E4 package. We upgraded to Elite during our first dinner in the MDR (any time dining) with the somelier, but you can do it with any beverage server. I believe if you are going to upgrade you must upgrade both people in the same cabin, but I think I have heard that that is not always enforced.

There is definitely a better selection of wines by the glass with the elite package. As my wife and I would regularly finish a bottle during dinner, once the someliers got to know us they just opened the bottle and left it with us on the table. Of course they trust we won't pour to those who are not Elite but I did occasionally do so (maybe 3 times over 22 days). If caught I am sure we would not get the bottle again.

Note, as I understand the staff policies, beverage staff get recognition based on the volume of drinks they sell. This is immaterial of whether the passenger is on a package or not. Choosing which person you ask to do the upgrade may provide incentive to be more attentive as not only will they get recognition for the upgrade but presumably the value of the drinks you order will be higher and worth more recognition. Recognition would likely affect salary, bonuses etc.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I recognize that the wines in the Elite package are better than those in the Signature package.  My question is this:  are they 'better enough' to justify the increased cost?

Absolutely if you like wine.  There is basically no sparkling wine/champagne on Signature list.   Especially if you like white wines the selections are better.   Finding a Cabernet or Merlot on the by the glass list is tricky I think Malbec and a Sangiovese were on the list in the PG.  We basically drank Nobilo Sauv Blanc and the NF champagne during the day with meals.   The selection of the wines on SB is poor.  The liquor selection is quite good though.   See my comment about Coravin pours that might be an option if you ask your wine stewards.  I mentioned that above. 

Edited by ottahand7

3 hours ago, skurvish said:

Note, as I understand the staff policies, beverage staff get recognition based on the volume of drinks they sell. This is immaterial of whether the passenger is on a package or not. 

This is something I have been curious about. We are all used to the way tips work when you are not on a drink package but how they work when you are on a package I was not sure. So servers still get tip credit for every drink served even via the beverage pkgs. I had hoped so. 

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I recognize that the wines in the Elite package are better than those in the Signature package.  My question is this:  are they 'better enough' to justify the increased cost?

For us, yes. We are wine drinkers and the choice was a no brainer. 

What I love.... is that in keeping with HAL's  hidden charge ( ie  Cruise Fare does not include port or tax like others do)   the liquor package  is sold the same "low ball" way..... the 49  is really $57   and the  super one is really $63    as they dont add in the tip in the advertised price.  ......... amusing  to me why they can not just give a  potential customer  for the real total price  fares and even drinks.....  Do they, HAL, think that their customers are so tight with a dollar that they have to appeal to the most frugal.     Nothing wrong with this, I just find it amusing  as to what they think.     

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

IMO, definitely yes. And a much broader selection.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Some have, some haven't.  Most reports indicate it can be done.  Just keep asking until you find someone who will.

Here's a link to the two packages.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Beverage-Packages.pdf

RocketMan, I would have LOVED the wine list you've attached here on my last cruise.  Unfortunately, this is what was available on the Statendam on our cruise March 3-10. We've got the Explore4 Signature pkg on our upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam (April 29-May10) and I've been pretty unhappy thinking the Statendam list is what we'll have to choose from.  Anyone currently on the Koningsdam willing to share the wine list?  By the way, I called our HAL cruise consultant and he says you absolutely can upgrade to Elite once on the ship. Note: there are only 2 whites and 3 reds at $9, the cut off for the Signature pkg. IMG-0243.thumb.JPG.f37ab4fbbf898ff736b1d39ba834cff3.JPG

Edited by EZ2CY

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I simply don't recognize all but a very few of the wines on the list.  We usually spend at least $20 or $30 on a bottle of wine at a a wine store.  These wines all appear to be less than that.  Have you seen any ratings on any of them?

I can tell you that, in my opinion at least, the $9 wines offered on the Statendam that would have been included in the Signature package were pretty awful.  The Spellbound Cabernet for $12, the Nobilo Sauvignan Blanc for $12 and the Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling for $11 were all enjoyable but of course wouldn't have been included in the Signature package. Even the lowest priced sparkling wine (La Marca Prosecco) was $10.  If what we saw offered on the Statendam two weeks ago is now the wine list across the HAL fleet, then the Signature package is really not going to please many wine drinkers.   It's really a shame because on the list you posted I recognized a number of inexpensive wines both my sister and I have enjoyed on past cruises. When my husband and I cruise on the Koningsdam next month the first thing we'll do once onboard is check out the wine list and upgrade to Elite if it's the same as the list I posted.

• Like 1

We were on NS in February and asked about Snosqualmie Riesling that we enjoy on other ships. We were told the price had changed from $7.50 to $11.50, but that they didn't have any on that ship. He also explained that they don't promote the Signature Beverage Package very much because of the wine selection.

I appreciate all the assistance everyone has provided.  On our last HAL cruise we picked up six bottles from total wine.  It was a chore to lug them onboard, I'm not as young as I once was.  We've decided to give the elite package a try.  We know we won't care for the signature which was part of our promo.  The upgrade isn't that much.  We'll see.  

Another thing I did, as there was some CC discussion concerning what sparkling wines were available now with the packages and also noting from another post here that not EVERYTHING available is listed on the menus, was simply ask the first bartender "what is the best champagne available on the Elite Pkg?" He said Nicolas F. We were very happy with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennb said:

Can anyone tell me what the actual cost of the upgrade to elite per day is?  I have the E4 SBP for my next cruise. Thx

To quote POA1 from here:

" $11.50 pp/day. That is $10+15% service charge. Drink a glass of real Champagne every day and you're covered.  "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, RocketMan275 said:

I simply don't recognize all but a very few of the wines on the list.  We usually spend at least $20 or $30 on a bottle of wine at a a wine store.  These wines all appear to be less than that.  Have you seen any ratings on any of them?

I made a small list with the supermarket prices per bottle in Europe (with some indication of prices I found on US-websites) :

White:
Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc reserva 2017 € 7.36 $ 12.09
Laurenz V "singing" Gruner Veltliner 2017 € 12.49 $ 12.99
Deakin Estate Chardonnay 2017 € 6.35 $ 10.31
Chateau Labouré-Roi Chablis 1er cru 2015 € 23.31 $ 26.98
Rosé:
Domaine Houchart sainte victoire 2017 € 8.99
Beringer white zinfandel 2017 € 6.80 € 3.47
Miraval, Cotes de Provence 2018 € 11.95 $ 19.97
Red:
Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti € 12.99 $ 14.39
Frescobaldi Pater Sangiovese € 9.25
Greystone cellars merlot 2017 €  $8.99
McPherson Shiraz € 6.99 $ 8.46
Sextant Zinfandel 2015 € 16.99
Arboleda Carmenere 2016 € 16.99 $ 20.25

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:56 AM, EZ2CY said:

RocketMan, I would have LOVED the wine list you've attached here on my last cruise.  Unfortunately, this is what was available on the Statendam on our cruise March 3-10. We've got the Explore4 Signature pkg on our upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam (April 29-May10) and I've been pretty unhappy thinking the Statendam list is what we'll have to choose from.  Anyone currently on the Koningsdam willing to share the wine list?  By the way, I called our HAL cruise consultant and he says you absolutely can upgrade to Elite once on the ship. Note: there are only 2 whites and 3 reds at $9, the cut off for the Signature pkg. IMG-0243.thumb.JPG.f37ab4fbbf898ff736b1d39ba834cff3.JPG

That is a pretty pathetic wine list.