Signature Suite or Aft Veranda for Alaska

Nsteph3

Hi! We are sailing to Alaska the first week of May. We are currently booked in an Aft veranda (VB category) on the Eurodam. Due to price drops I can switch to a signature suite for the same price as I paid. I’ve heard that the aft cabins are great for Alaska because the block the wind. Would you keep the aft cabin or switch to a signature suite? 

Thanks! 

I would switch before they could change their mind.

The Signature cabins---and the balconies!---are much larger and a lot more comfortable. You can frequently find a portion of your balcony that is out of the wind, unless the wind is blowing straight on. Wind blowing directly on you can also happen in an aft cabin; it all depends on the direction.

• Like 1

It’s a tough decision and you’ll find everyone has a different preference.  Aft cabins are wonderful and I love them-however, my husband doesn’t because he got sea sick in the only one we ever tried.  Signature cabins are lovely-great size.

Good luck on your decision.  Enjoy Alaska-it’s spectacular! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I would switch before they could change their mind.

The Signature cabins---and the balconies!---are much larger and a lot more comfortable. You can frequently find a portion of your balcony that is out of the wind, unless the wind is blowing straight on. Wind blowing directly on you can also happen in an aft cabin; it all depends on the direction.

I agree 100%, the SS is so much larger and has a huge bathroom with 2 sinks, a separate shower and a tub/shower. You also have enough room to enjoy room service and a table on the balcony for eating if you want. You will also get double the sailing nights for your mariner status.

• Like 1

I'd go for the Signature Suites, much more room and double cruise credit!

We've had an Aft Cabin, and it's nice, but a long walk!  If you have the money, consider one of those Neptune corner afts.  Got a corner aft on a repositioning cruise, and loved it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We've had an Aft Cabin, and it's nice, but a long walk!  If you have the money, consider one of those Neptune corner afts.  Got a corner aft on a repositioning cruise, and loved it.

Get the SS and see if you get an upgrade to a NS. We have a SS for our July Alaska cruise and I am waiting for any upsell or upgrade to a NS. 🤞🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

I so agree.  The Signature suite is really nice and easy to find a spot if you want for viewing if you’re not happy with what you can see from your balcony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Get the SS and see if you get an upgrade to a NS. We have a SS for our July Alaska cruise and I am waiting for any upsell or upgrade to a NS. 🤞🤞

I have been watching to see if the NS price would drop and now it looks like it’s sold out. Boo! 

22 minutes ago, Nsteph3 said:

I have been watching to see if the NS price would drop and now it looks like it’s sold out. Boo! 

On our July 21 Noordam cruise there are still several NS unsold, so I am hopeful. The prices have come down but if I just rebook I will lose my Explore 4 promo benefits. So I am hopeful for upsell that lets me keep the X4 promo.

• Like 1

If you are a photographer, the view of what is happening on both sides of the ship in Alaska is paramount and makes an aft stateroom ideal.  If you like to eat on your balcony without any wind while the ship is moving, aft is the stateroom of choice.  If you would enjoy seeing Glacier Bay without fighting for a spot at the ships railings, having raised phones/cameras blocking your camera, having snacks/beverages a few steps away from your own balcony railing, and not competing with hundreds of your fellow passengers for a public restroom, aft staterooms are the best.  If you like hot food from Room Service, an aft stateroom is a short elevator ride from the Room Service kitchen.  If you like a short elevator ride up to the Lido Market for coffee/snacks/meals, stick with an aft balcony stateroom. 

If a larger stateroom is more important than the above considerations, go for an SS category.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Crew News said:

If you are a photographer, the view of what is happening on both sides of the ship in Alaska is paramount and makes an aft stateroom ideal.  If you like to eat on your balcony without any wind while the ship is moving, aft is the stateroom of choice.  If you would enjoy seeing Glacier Bay without fighting for a spot at the ships railings, having raised phones/cameras blocking your camera, having snacks/beverages a few steps away from your own balcony railing, and not competing with hundreds of your fellow passengers for a public restroom, aft staterooms are the best.  If you like hot food from Room Service, an aft stateroom is a short elevator ride from the Room Service kitchen.  If you like a short elevator ride up to the Lido Market for coffee/snacks/meals, stick with an aft balcony stateroom. 

If a larger stateroom is more important than the above considerations, go for an SS category.

I totally agree but I'm an aft/wake/spoiled brat!! 😀  If space is most important go for the SS but otherwise, I'd do the aft for all the reasons Crew News mentioned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

Ok you completely convinced me to keep my aft stateroom!! I was getting persuaded by the thought of a “suite” but you reminded me why we chose aft in the first place! Thank you!! 

Edited by Nsteph3

1 hour ago, Nsteph3 said:

Ok you completely convinced me to keep my aft stateroom!! I was getting persuaded by the thought of a “suite” but you reminded me why we chose aft in the first place! Thank you!! 

FWIW I will be disembarking the Eurodam on the same day that you will be boarding. 

Since you will be boarding in Vancouver, there is an underground mall across the street from the cruise terminal (Canada Place), where you can find lots of fast-food restaurants (delicious Gree food and low-cost breakfasts), shops, toiletries, snacks, and even a tax preparation office.  Here is a photo review of the mall in case you want to purchase "supplies" for your cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/vancouver-bc/waterfront-mall

Enjoy your cruise planning.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crew News said:

FWIW I will be disembarking the Eurodam on the same day that you will be boarding. 

Since you will be boarding in Vancouver, there is an underground mall across the street from the cruise terminal (Canada Place), where you can find lots of fast-food restaurants (delicious Gree food and low-cost breakfasts), shops, toiletries, snacks, and even a tax preparation office.  Here is a photo review of the mall in case you want to purchase "supplies" for your cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/vancouver-bc/waterfront-mall

Enjoy your cruise planning.

We are actually sailing out of Seattle on May 4. Thank you for the info though! 

I too love aft balconies.  But having the larger suite is a plus.  Mostly it is pretty cool to sit outside,  but having the extra windows on the signature suite gave us even better views when we were just in the cabin.  I also like roaming the ship and having the pea soup to see as much as possible in Alaska.  

So IMO even though I love afts, I would snap up the signature suite in a heartbeat if it is the same cost!  

2 minutes ago, Nsteph3 said:

We are actually sailing out of Seattle on May 4. Thank you for the info though! 

Interesting.  Sounds like there will be a 1-day cruise from May 3 (Vancouver) to arrive in Seattle May 4th.

There is nothing around the Seattle Pier 91 port where you can purchase beverages/snacks.