Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
fastnloose

OBC for gratuities

Recommended Posts

If you add a tip for your stateroom attendant or butler it goes to them. If you add a tip for anyone else it goes into the pot

and is shared by everyone. We learn this on our last cruise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ozark74 said:

If you add a tip for your stateroom attendant or butler it goes to them. If you add a tip for anyone else it goes into the pot

and is shared by everyone. We learn this on our last cruise.

 

How do I do this with OBC ,  do I arrange with guest services ? I would like it to   go to butler and stateroom attendant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to give the butler and cabin attendant a gratuity above the daily amount there is a form at Guest Relations that you can fill out. The MC concierge should have them also. As ozark74 said the butler and cabin attendant will get the amount you specify. Anything for dining staff will be split among the staff, Luminae in your case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

If you want to give the butler and cabin attendant a gratuity above the daily amount there is a form at Guest Relations that you can fill out. The MC concierge should have them also. As ozark74 said the butler and cabin attendant will get the amount you specify. Anything for dining staff will be split among the staff, Luminae in your case.

Thanks very much for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is how we are going to use our OBC. For the room with 2 people, we purchased a one device internet package and the remaining amount would be just below the gratuities for 7 days. For the room with 4, we leave the whole amount of $350 untouched for gratuities. At the end, we need to pay around $130 more gratuities for all 6 of us. So now we don't worry to have any OBC unused by the end of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fastnloose said:

Can I use my OBC or part of it, for gratuities?  Many thanks

Not sure if you are asking to use your OBC for the standard auto gratuities of for the auto plus additional tips.

 

Since the auto gratuities get charged to your account each day, they will go against your non-refundable OBC automatically. If you have more OBC than the standard auto gratuities, then you can use the excess OBC for additional gratuities as previously stated in another post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to use OBC for additional gratuities to butler/room attendant you should fill in the form more than 24 hours before final billing (next to last full day of cruise). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only slightly on-topic but a word to the wise: you *cannot* do this on NCL.  I found out the hard way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Not sure if you are asking to use your OBC for the standard auto gratuities of for the auto plus additional tips.

 

Since the auto gratuities get charged to your account each day, they will go against your non-refundable OBC automatically. If you have more OBC than the standard auto gratuities, then you can use the excess OBC for additional gratuities as previously stated in another post.

Thanks, perhaps I didnt phrase it very well,but  thats what I meant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that most of the wait-staff and room stewards only get room and board.  The rest of their pay is tips only...Is this right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CardRock said:

I read that most of the wait-staff and room stewards only get room and board.  The rest of their pay is tips only...Is this right? 

 

Pretty much; they receive a tiny amount of pay from the cruise line (last I heard was $50/month) but the vast majority is from the daily service charge (gratuities) and extra tips. I believe they are guaranteed a certain minimum amount - i.e. if many people on the ship stiff them and remove the service charge and don’t tip, the cruise line pays the difference between the grats/tips they did receive and the minimum amount guaranteed. Generally though the vast majority comes from the service charge and tips. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gonzo70 said:

 

Pretty much; they receive a tiny amount of pay from the cruise line (last I heard was $50/month) but the vast majority is from the daily service charge (gratuities) and extra tips. I believe they are guaranteed a certain minimum amount - i.e. if many people on the ship stiff them and remove the service charge and don’t tip, the cruise line pays the difference between the grats/tips they did receive and the minimum amount guaranteed. Generally though the vast majority comes from the service charge and tips. 

Wow - We got pre-paid tips as a perk, but I will definitely tip extra...and early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In India, for example, the average daily pay is between 4 and 7 dollars a day.
 
Don't demean people from the developing world by belittling their pay.  Why do these threads come up all the time here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Celebrity Edge in Europe Sweepstakes
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...