Meraviglia questions and info needed.

Danny61231

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I posted but I'm looking to book another cruise. My wife and I sailed on the Seaside in February 2018 (our first ever cruise) and loved it. We are currently looking to book another cruise for March of 2020 with our two kids (ages 6 and 3) and my wifes parents. My in laws didn't like the itinerary for the Seaside so it looks like we will be booking the Meraviglia instead. Here are my questions:

What should we expect to be different between the Seaside and the Meraviglia?

We were hoping to get a family room but they're all booked. We will now be getting an interior and a balcony instead. I'm looking at 13181 (balcony) and 13232 (interior). Any information or advice on those rooms?

In an interior roo. What do they have for beds for the 3rd and 4th person? I cant find any pics and am wondering if it is the bunk couch or fold downs.

How is the food on the Meraviglia compared to the Seaside? I'm assuming it will be different when it moves to the Caribbean anyways but....

Ehat other information or advice can you give me? I'm just starting to do research on the ship so it's all pretty new to me. Thanks in advance and I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions along the way. Dan

Hi, Danny,

Sorry I can't help you because I'm sort of in the same boat.

:classic_rolleyes:

For some reason I didn't give Meraviglia much thought until today when I saw a video and I was very interested.  Surprised she is almost two years old.  

I've been on Seaside too.  I'd be interested in comparisons between the two, especially, in our case, for the Yacht Club.  

In doing preliminary research it seems that there's more availability for the Yacht Club on Meraviglia than Seaside.  Wonder why?  

I hope we get some answers.  Although I do love doing research, it's part of the fun of booking a cruise.😍

I'm interested as well. We just booked 11390 aft cabin for March 2020. Also have been on Seaside, and we think Meraviglia is so beautiful we had to book it.  Danny, I was wondering about the room configurations and studied the deck plans while I was booking. The interior are 170 square feet (ish). The legend indicates bunks. It would make sense that there isn't space for a couch, and I haven't seen any pictures or images showing a couch in the interior. Those most likely are the ones from the ceiling. The balcony cabins are larger and the pictures show a couch in the cabin. If the cabin is for 4 these couches can  turn into bunk beds by popping up, and they also have these on Seaside. If anyone else is reading this and can't quite visualize a "bunk couch". Not sure what else it would be called - see picutre  LOL.  

04.jpg

19 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The Meraviglia is a bit larger than the Seaside, and has many more YC cabins.

In my limited research I haven't heard of Meraviglia's YC being crowded, have you?

Do you think the fact that there are many more cabins is the reason there's more availability?  

23 hours ago, mafig said:

For some reason I didn't give Meraviglia much thought until today when I saw a video and I was very interested.  Surprised she is almost two years old.  

In doing preliminary research it seems that there's more availability for the Yacht Club on Meraviglia than Seaside.  Wonder why?  

More Americans have heard of Seaside than have of Meraviglia (mainly, I'm assuming, due to advertising.  Perhaps MSC hasn't marketed Meraviglia yet and it's only predominantly those on CC who are aware that she will be sailing from US ports from next Winter).

I think she starts here in Nov or Dec. If you book for this year, there is some kind of drink pkg . I'm booked for Dec, 2020, and right now there aren't any offered unless you go to Aurea or above. That will change and then I'll either upgrade if they let me, or cancel and rebook. The ship looks amazing.

Meraviglia arrives in New York on Oct 8th and has 2 itineraries of 10 nights each to Canada (different POCs being offered on each) before she leaves New York for her repositioning to Miami on Oct 28th.  There are quite a number of CCers on the repo to Miami.

We're on a 23 night sailing, taking in the second Canada/New England POCs itinerary plus the repo of 13 nights to Miami.  It'll be our second cruise in YC onboard Meraviglia having boarded her on the last days of her inaugural back in June 2017.  We said at the time that we would not sail on this ship unless it was in YC.

Edited by Beamafar

There is a smoking / cigar room off the Sky Lounge Bar. forward deck 18 or 19, believe. Also, smoking in certain areas around main outdoor pool area. Where they have outdoor buffet/bar area on Deck 15.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, Danny61231 said:

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I posted but I'm looking to book another cruise. My wife and I sailed on the Seaside in February 2018 (our first ever cruise) and loved it. We are currently looking to book another cruise for March of 2020 with our two kids (ages 6 and 3) and my wifes parents. My in laws didn't like the itinerary for the Seaside so it looks like we will be booking the Meraviglia instead. Here are my questions:

What should we expect to be different between the Seaside and the Meraviglia?

I've been on Meraviglia and Seaview**. on the exact same itinerary so comparisons are easy to justify with no influence of the route taken.

In the YC on Meraviglia and in an Aurea balcony cabin on Seaview

Meraviglia feels a lot more crowded than Seaview and doesn't have good through access to public spaces.The central mall is a bottleneck and at times so crushed that you can't go anywhere by using it as a through route.

Seaview feels uncrowded by comparison and has great routes to outside spaces.

the numbers of guests to GWT ratio is about 38GWT per guest on both classes, so you would expect the crowding feel to be similar

but it doesn't work out like that.

I'm on record as saying I'd only go on a Meraviglia class in the YC and I stand by that, but on Seaview I'd happily go in any grade except Bella ( which I won't go in on any MSC ship)

Pete

** Seaside and Seaview are virtually identical.

link to my review of Merviglia yacht club cruise

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=12438

Edited by Skier52

7 hours ago, Skier52 said:

I've been on Meraviglia and Seaview**. on the exact same itinerary so comparisons are easy to justify with no influence of the route taken.
In the YC on Meraviglia and in an Aurea balcony cabin on Seaview
Meraviglia feels a lot more crowded than Seaview and doesn't have good through access to public spaces.The central mall is a bottleneck and at times so crushed that you can't go anywhere by using it as a through route.
Seaview feels uncrowded by comparison and has great routes to outside spaces.
the numbers of guests to GWT ratio is about 38GWT per guest on both classes, so you would expect the crowding feel to be similarbut it doesn't work out like that.
I'm on record as saying I'd only go on a Meraviglia class in the YC and I stand by that, but on Seaview I'd happily go in any grade except Bella ( which I won't go in on any MSC ship)

Pete

I agree totally with Pete about Meraviglia (haven't sailed Seaside/Seaview yet - will be on the latter in Aug so will be able to compare the 2 then - including the YC experiences).  We were on Meraviglia at the tail end of her inaugural;  I did a live review and said at the time that we would never sail on her unless we were in YC.  We're back on her for 23 nights in October (in YC).

8 hours ago, Skier52 said:

....Meraviglia feels a lot more crowded than Seaview and doesn't have good through access to public spaces.The central mall is a bottleneck and at times so crushed that you can't go anywhere by using it as a through route....

....I'm on record as saying I'd only go on a Meraviglia class in the YC and I stand by that, but on Seaview I'd happily go in any grade except Bella ( which I won't go in on any MSC ship)...

Pete

We have no experience of Seaview, but agree entirely re access through the Central Mall on Meraviglia. The issue here is that there is only one entry/exit point for the theatre, and it is at the forward area of the main central mall on deck 6. The shows run 3 times per evening, so when the show ends everyone exits into the central mall creating a massive bottleneck....very poor design.

For us it wasn't an issue, we patiently meandered through and along to the far end Atrium area which we enjoyed for an hour or so most nights. If you are in the slightest truly claustrophobic then this area is to be avoided. We were YC on that cruise, but spent most of our time after evening meal in and around the Central Mall/Atrium areas i.e. decks 5/6/7

Hi Pete, thanks for the imput. Missed your comments on the MSC ships. e're booked on the Meraviglia for next year and looking forward to it.

Mel

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

We have no experience of Seaview, but agree entirely re access through the Central Mall on Meraviglia. The issue here is that there is only one entry/exit point for the theatre, and it is at the forward area of the main central mall on deck 6. The shows run 3 times per evening, so when the show ends everyone exits into the central mall creating a massive bottleneck....very poor design.

For us it wasn't an issue, we patiently meandered through and along to the far end Atrium area which we enjoyed for an hour or so most nights. If you are in the slightest truly claustrophobic then this area is to be avoided. We were YC on that cruise, but spent most of our time after evening meal in and around the Central Mall/Atrium areas i.e. decks 5/6/7

Funnily enough, G, we spent more time in TSL - and  in YC generally - on Meraviglia than we ever had when in YC on other ships.  We didn't care for being down around the Galleria at all.  Everything was chaotic when we were on as flexi-dining was being tried out which led to absolute mayhem around the area every evening. 

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Funnily enough, G, we spent more time in TSL - and  in YC generally - on Meraviglia than we ever had when in YC on other ships.  We didn't care for being down around the Galleria at all.  Everything was chaotic when we were on as flexi-dining was being tried out which led to absolute mayhem around the area every evening. 

We did also, certainly during the daytime. We almost always go to the show after dinner, and DW loved watching the dance floor in the bar immediately outside Broadway Theatre. Sometimes I absented myself for a few minutes, going up to TSL for a selection of macaroons and the venchi chocs provided. Got many envious looks from those around us who knew nothing about the YC, although we did share them with a few folks we met there! We also spent some time in and around the Atrium....including Champagne Bar.

It's all about people watching for her, but we still got value from TSL and everything else YC...believe me!!

We never made it to any of the shows (apart from Cirque's Sonor) so I never even got to see the theatre (we'll be checking it out in October, for sure!)  We'll also be spending quite some time at the Champagne bar on Seaview now that we've upgraded to the Prem+ package.  If it's worth it, we'll upgrade again for Meraviglia.

Edited by Beamafar

23 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

....We'll also be spending quite some time at the Champagne bar on Seaview now that we've upgraded to the Prem+ package.  If it's worth it, we'll upgrade again for Meraviglia.

We enjoyed the CB menu with the YC 'package'!

6 minutes ago, hamrag said:

We enjoyed the CB menu with the YC 'package'!

I know you were well "looked after" in relation to some of the lower-end Connoisseurs' Selection items, but did you manage to get some of the champagnes outside of what YC covered?  From our experience, only Laurent-Perrier and Nicholas Feuillatte were included (the former being available in both Butcher's Cut and CB).  There were 5 champagnes listed on the menu that had 2 asterisks next to them when we were on the ship - I'm looking forward to putting a dent in the supplies of those on Seaview!  :classic_biggrin:

29 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I know you were well "looked after" in relation to some of the lower-end Connoisseurs' Selection items, but did you manage to get some of the champagnes outside of what YC covered?  From our experience, only Laurent-Perrier and Nicholas Feuillatte were included (the former being available in both Butcher's Cut and CB).  There were 5 champagnes listed on the menu that had 2 asterisks next to them when we were on the ship - I'm looking forward to putting a dent in the supplies of those on Seaview!  :classic_biggrin:

No, we didn't get any of the (at that time, pre-package changes) ** items in the CB....but they had a good few combos with champagne in them, in the manner of e.g. Kir Royale (but not that). We were on Meraviglia pre-package changes, and the clearly marked menus had ** against the drinks not included.

The lower end CS 'looked after' drinks were Feb 2019 on Preziosa, which doesn't have a CB as such.

I was getting your trips mixed up there!

I'm partial to a Kir Royale but I'm also looking forward to trying out the Moet & Chandon Rosé Impérial if they have it on Seaview (I've only got the Chamagne Bar menu on Meraviglia from June '17).  Going on the price for a glass (and assuming it increased in price along with everything else on the menus) DH and I will be quids in on the upgrade cost even if we only have one glass each per day!  I'll also be back to enjoying Rémy Martin XO again - just like the good old days when it was included in the Deluxe package (at the same time, YC didn't get an all-inclusive package included).  

Edited by Beamafar

11 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I was getting your trips mixed up there!

I'm partial to a Kir Royale but I'm also looking forward to trying out the Moet & Chandon Rosé Impérial if they have it on Seaview (I've only got the Chamagne Bar menu on Meraviglia from June '17).  Going on the price for a glass (and assuming it increased in price along with everything else on the menus) DH and I will be quids in on the upgrade cost even if we only have one glass each per day!  I'll also be back to enjoying Rémy Martin XO again - just like the good old days when it was included in the Deluxe package (at the same time, YC didn't get an all-inclusive package included).  

You def want to be 'quids in' but don't make the mistake that the guy on our Preziosa cruise made with his upgrade....he determined that, since JW Blue Label whisky was the most expensive drink available he would drink only that. He sneaked me a glass of the stuff one evening, and I said it was nowhere near as good as the Macallan Select Oak which I would generally have a couple of after dinner....he admitted that he agreed, but because his BL was showing at 25 euro a glass and MSO was only 11 euro that he was getting real value on his P+ package!!??

Most expensive doesn't always mean the best - that's for sure!  But I know that Rémy Martin XO and Moët are better than the cheaper offerings on the menus.  😃  I'll have no problem having a glass of each in the evening - which is why I figured the upgrade was worth it.

As it's our anniversary cruise, we just feel that having the Prem+ would be worth it to make the cruise more special - it'll be a novelty to have the heretofore 2 asterisk items included. 😎