Arriving after 1pm, carry all baggage?

kywildcatfanone

I have a question.  We won't be arriving at FLL till about noon tomorrow, and then waiting on checked baggage, so I anticipate we will get to the ship at about 1pm.  I've never done it that late before, can we just take all of our luggage and carry it on and go straight to our room?  We would normally drop something with the porters, but since we are arriving so late, any reason we can't just carry all of our luggage straight on and to our room?

I suppose it depends on the size of your luggage and the size of the  security screening machines.

If your luggage is small enough, you should be OK.  I have never walked in with more than normal airplane carry on sized luggage.

Personally I would not do it, but perhaps someone who has can confirm for you.

You can do it if your luggage fits through the security scanners which are inside the terminal. FYI 1pm is a normal time of arrival for those passengers that purchased Princess pre-cruise hotel packages. You will not be alone at that time.

3 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Thanks for the replies.  Would you think an airline checked bag size would fit thru the scanners?  I've never really paid attention to how big they are.

The scanners are roughly the same size as the ones on the airline security lines.

We generally carry our bags on, which includes suitcases that are too large for airplane carryon. You need to be able to lift the suitcase onto the scanner - no one at check in will help you. We find it much easier to do self check. That way we have everything with us when we go to our room. 

Edited by RSF Cruiser
Typos

Yes. The staff repeatedly reminded us no one would help us get the suitcases on and off the scanner, which was fine with us. We also keep our suitcases with us to disembark. That way we don’t have to use valuable

vacation time before dinner to pack. We generally oack after dinner.  

48 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Ah, so you have been able to put a full size suitcase thru the scanner?  My preference would be to go ahead and carry on all my stuff since I'm arriving at a time when I can walk right on and up to my room. 

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I have a question.  We won't be arriving at FLL till about noon tomorrow, and then waiting on checked baggage, so I anticipate we will get to the ship at about 1pm.  I've never done it that late before, can we just take all of our luggage and carry it on and go straight to our room?  We would normally drop something with the porters, but since we are arriving so late, any reason we can't just carry all of our luggage straight on and to our room?

Yes you can carry on your luggage.

Most will fit.

If it doesn't they will have you check it. (give it to the porters)

We have never had an issue and we have some pretty big suitcases.

Your biggest problem may be getting it all onto an elevator.  That's often a tough thing on embarkation. We only arrive with roller bags and backpacks and often have to wait a long time for a free elevator. We generally have aft cabins close to the stern and walk down on those ships that we can to the rear elevators.. Enjoy your cruise!

4 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Ah, so you have been able to put a full size suitcase thru the scanner? 

There was a recent thread on the Florida Departures Board about the size of the scanners at Port Everglades.

The poster updated the thread after traveling with a note: "16" wide by nearly 12" thick (height off the belt) went through fine." (see the last post in the thread)

The issue we have found with carrying on bags at Port Everglades terminals is the ramps leading to the ships can be an issue when the flow of people stops.  Even an airline carry-on will roll back, won't stand on its own, and has to be turned sideways to avoid rolling back on its own.   If you have larger bags or any issues walking up ramps, then follow the signs for wheel chair access as long as you can.