Venchi is now on the banned list!

ssmea03

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Forgive this question if it offends, but I am just starting to research a MSC booking.  Why does this issue cause concern?

No offence taken and how long have you got 😂😂😝

So back in November 2018 MSC changed the names and prices of their drinks packages.

There was a huge furor from passengers as the price jump was quite steep and passengers who had already booked the old pkg were told they would now get the new ones which included less for more money in some cases although you could of course pay to "upgrade"..........  

Then MSC decided those who had the old package would still get it when they sailed.

Venchi is a highly desireable bar/ cafe and people love the chcolate martinis and gelato to name a couple. Venchi gelato used to be included in the old classic package but its not included in any new package. The drinks you could get with the new premium plus. 

Apparently now, no Venchi is included in anything so its a case of being told you will get something and then later you are told you wont get it. 

It's just a little  irritating as it seems to change on a whim so it can make things hard to plan. 

Hope i haven't confused you too much.

Edited by Mattnvick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your reply.  It seems that many of the cruise lines are currently undergoing "revisions" in what they offer their guests. 

It seems one of the only places you can do it.

If for example you bought a top of the range car with a heated steering wheel and put the money down. However when you pick the car up its just a regular steering wheel. You question the salesman and he says oh yeah Thats not included any more. It just doesnt happen

. But apparently the cruise lines can reel you in with promises of this and that being included, you pay the money and then suddenly stuff is off the table.

Bizarre 

• Like 4

This was happening last July when I was on the Seaside.  All thru the YC everyone thought that the gelato and crepes were not included.   Who knows? I guess I will when we sail this July in YC on the Seaside again.   I will ask for my chocolate martini.   

3 hours ago, Mattnvick said:

It seems one of the only places you can do it.

If for example you bought a top of the range car with a heated steering wheel and put the money down. However when you pick the car up its just a regular steering wheel. You question the salesman and he says oh yeah Thats not included any more. It just doesnt happen

. But apparently the cruise lines can reel you in with promises of this and that being included, you pay the money and then suddenly stuff is off the table.

Bizarre 

Hotels are adding all sorts of phantom charges – even after you book.  "Resort fees" were only the beginning of that gambit.  And they are located on US soil, where false advertising laws should apply!

• Like 1

I noticed on the new Easy package it states Aperitif and Vermouth where as before it was only Vermouth. So, what exactly is an Aperitif?  I looked it up (not a knowledgeable drinker lol) and a martini, champagnes, etc should be included now. Just trying to figure out what is included with the easy package being that we have that on our next cruise, thankfully the 3 after we have the classic.

Also noticed that it no longer states Mixed drinks with house spirit brands.  That is a huge difference if you cannot get a mixed drink and can only get the ones listed.

So, for all of those that are knowledgeable about drinks, name me some aperitifs to order.😁

Campari, Aperol (spritz - though I prefer it straight), prosecco, Martini Rosso/Bianco.  They're just some off the top of my head.  I believe that Pernod/Ricard can be regarded as an aperitif, too, but I don't remember ever seeing it on an MSC ship (that's not to say they don't have it).

Edited by Beamafar
Grammar
  • Like 1

We are on Splendida and booked a year ago, today we ventured to get a gelato and did No Charge. Think it’s because we booked prior to Nov 18 as previously said. 

Tried to get one of your wines last night Beamafar and sommelier said sorry not on the package. May try again before cruise ends you never know he may soften.

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

We are on Splendida and booked a year ago, today we ventured to get a gelato and did No Charge. Think it’s because we booked prior to Nov 18 as previously said. 

Tried to get one of your wines last night Beamafar and sommelier said sorry not on the package. May try again before cruise ends you never know he may soften.

Do you have classic or deluxe? Classic has a more limited wine choice.

1 minute ago, emmas gran said:

Premium due to date of booking ie before Nov and in YC

But premium didn't become available until November. And YC get the YC package, which is loosely defined as all inclusive. 

Liz ... I think the offerings on the menus have changed along with the change in drinks packages.  Certainly there were items removed to the Prem+ list that used to be included in the old Premium/Deluxe.  I also don't think that MSC is grandfathering in the Deluxe package for items within the YC - that enclave was always about what was included in there as opposed to a specific package range of drinks being provided.  I'm not happy to hear that my favourite wines aren't included.

Will you do me a big favour and let me know what drinks have a price tag in YC?  We've upgraded to Prem+ for our cruise in August and I'm wondering if it will cover drinks by the glass that are for charge in YC.

ETA ... Is the wine bar in situ on deck 7 (they replaced it with a tea-room before).  If it is, find out there what wines are included in Premium/Deluxe.  The first couple of days we were onboard, I brought wine from there up to the restaurant to make a point.  I then got our server to transfer it into a nicer YC glass.  The sommelier saw this and asked why I was bringing in wine.  I explained that I'd been refused the wine I wanted.  From then, I got the Cicogna every night I wanted.

Edited by Beamafar

4 minutes ago, ssmea03 said:

But premium didn't become available until November. And YC get the YC package, which is loosely defined as all inclusive. 

The Deluxe was known as Premium for cruises where the onboard currency is Euros (just to add even more confusion!).

Edited by Beamafar

12 hours ago, sidari said:

More Cuts and less choice, soon the balance will begin to go the other way and MSC will no longer be affordable for many.

A case now of less for more.

Well said, Dave.  I was trying to compose something on those lines in response to Liz posting about certain wines now not being available in YC.  It'll be interesting to see if I can get them on the Prem+ package that we've upgraded to.  If I have to go to the Champagne bar to fetch some and bring it back to the YC restaurant, I will do so, but I'll also be having a word with the Hotel Director if that's the case.

Just now, emmas gran said:

👍 Bea give me a day or two. Cochin today and tomorrow so not much going on 

Just to clarify, Liz ... I meant that you could check out what wines you're entitled to have by seeing what you can get in the wine bar.  By being able to get them there, it means that you should be able to have them in YC.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thanks a mil, Liz.  I've since edited my previous post with another note for you.

For the life of me I can't find where you mentioned bourbon?

Also Bea, remember someone asking you about US/Euro price differences, well the Euro prices are up on the US site now and they're about $20 cheaper. 

• Thanks 1