Disembarking in Venice

delta13

I'm assuming taxi's are available upon disembarkation in Venice, correct?  Is that the quickest and most cost efficient way to get to the Marco Polo Airport?

I'm also wondering how long it take to get to the airport.  Our ship is supposed to dock at 8:00AM (Norwegian Star) and I was looking at a 11:10AM flight departure.

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance!

A little reading down the board will find a lot of info.

Taxis should be prearranged. There is also a good sized thread here:

that discusses many options, including private transport.

The cheapest would be the ATVO bus.

1 hour ago, delta13 said:

I'm assuming taxi's are available upon disembarkation in Venice, correct?  Is that the quickest and most cost efficient way to get to the Marco Polo Airport?

I'm also wondering how long it take to get to the airport.  Our ship is supposed to dock at 8:00AM (Norwegian Star) and I was looking at a 11:10AM flight departure.

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, best to pre book a taxi. You should have plenty of time providing you disembark yourself and your ship is not delayed arriving in Venice.

From Marittima cruise terminal to Marco Polo via taxi takes about 20 minutes - this would be you quickest and most cost efficient option considering your time restrictions. You should check-in for your flight 2 hours before departure (international flights) and 1 hour before departure (domestic).

Marco Polo can be quite the zoo but assuming you self disembark your ship & have a taxi waiting, you have some wiggle room.

16 minutes ago, delta13 said:

Thanks for the insight.  Are their specific companies that one would use to prebook a taxi?

There are quite a few options. You will find excellent information here:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-taxis.htm

We used this company a few years ago on our Med cruise: http://www.venicetaxiairport.com/

I've had a few bad experiences at Marco Polo.  Altho it only takes 20 minutes to get there, I'd arrive at least 2 1/2 hrs prior to departure even for a domestic. 

We arrived at 9:30am for a noon flight to JFK and only had 10-15 minutes to spare by the time we got to the gate.  So for an 11am flight I'd plan on being there by 8:30.  Hopefully things will go smoothly for you. 

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

I've had a few bad experiences at Marco Polo.  Altho it only takes 20 minutes to get there, I'd arrive at least 2 1/2 hrs prior to departure even for a domestic. 

We arrived at 9:30am for a noon flight to JFK and only had 10-15 minutes to spare by the time we got to the gate.  So for an 11am flight I'd plan on being there by 8:30.  Hopefully things will go smoothly for you. 

Marco Polo airport would surely be high on the list of the worst airports in Europe!

Hank

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 3:16 PM, delta13 said:

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance!

No taxi in port so book your taxi in advance. I don't see how you gonna make 11 am flight. Venice airport is a big mess with huge lines . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 2:26 PM, Hlitner said:

Marco Polo airport would surely be high on the list of the worst airports in Europe!

Hank

Delta13, I would strongly advise allowing plenty of extra time. VCE is a mess. We arrived at 09:20 for a 12:10 flight. We spent literally the entire time in 3 queues. Passport Control was the worst. They had to pull people out of the queue because their planes were boarding. After almost two hours in the PC line, it happened to us, as well. We, and about 30 others, boarded the plane shortly after the scheduled take-off.

I found out later that our experience was not unusual. However, friends had no trouble at all last year for a very early morning flight.

I will be sailing on a River Cruise in October...….using the cruise line's transfer. Have a very early flight home so maybe when it is in the middle of the night the mess/lines will not be so long.