Potential Edge Modifications Revealed By Cruise Critic Editor

vtcruising

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

Which one was Hype? If that was the first show, kaleidoscope for us, that is a bummer. While jewelry box, land of khalida when we sailed, was really good, kaleidoscope actually felt like a concert and blew us away. Madison, Roger, and the other guy singer were amazing talents. Granted for us we really liked the songs and were singing along. 

With the change in music style, hope they still bring singers like a Michael Redden onboard the Apex. I wonder if this means that Celebrity has thrown in the towel on bringing a younger crowd to there ships?

Here is a clip from the now defunct show 'Hype'. The new show, called Marcus Terrell and The Serenades, features the same main singer. The new show is about how he auditioned for various TV competition shows such as American Idol and America's Got Talent. He is accompanied by 2 backup singers. The first half is Motown music, the second half is other contemporary pop music. A couple of songs from Hype was incorporated into this new show. 

Besides The above mentioned show, the other 'production' show was The existing Hot Summer Night's Dream. All the other shows would be what you would call  'Headliner' entertainers. This includes the Beatles tribute band, A Hard Day's Night; two comedians; a female singer, and a male singer.This made up the seven night's main shows. 

8 minutes ago, Doc2725 said:

Can you elaborate on this? 

This section of the article linked in the first post ‘several passengers were pleased to hear more tunes from the '60s, '70s and 80s throughout the ship, following cruiser feedback’

We really enjoyed the contemporary (term used on this site) music around the ship including the hip hop on the pool deck. We got our 21 year old daughter interested in the Apex in part to that style of music being played all around the ship. 

The changes have me watching closely to see what will happen with the Apex. I am guessing they won’t be playing the kind of music I liked from the 60’s thru the 80’s and I am not a fan of the Beetle’s. 

The vibe of the ship which the music played a part in, will definitely be different now, not sure if it will be for us. Can’t wait to hear some more Edge reports in the coming months to get a feel for the styles of music being played. 

20 minutes ago, Doc2725 said:

I wonder what they mean by entertainment changes. Perhaps more, and also a greater variety of live music in the lounges at night? 

this was the quote:

"Entertainment

Eden experience performances, held in the three-deck open-concept Eden bar and lounge, feature a team of dancers, acrobats and jugglers, as well as a sitar player. The first iteration of the show was three hours long and offered about 15 minutes between numbers for the characters, known as "Edenists," to interact with cruisers -- sometimes to the point of making passengers feel uncomfortable, we're told. "We probably pushed the envelope a little too far," Abel admitted. The show has since been cut to about 90 minutes, limiting the depth and length of interaction between performers and passengers and also making it easier for cruisers to follow the storyline.

Outside of Eden, Abel says the three main theater shows now focus a bit less on the giant LED screen that was previously the center of the action. Instead, more emphasis is placed on props and scenery that were built to complement the use of the screen. Different lighting effects and more aerial performances have also been incorporated, and a new show will replace "Jewelry Box."

The new performance, which starts out in black and white before slowly turning to color, will feature well-known songs from Coldplay, U2, Imagine Dragons and others. Although the music in the new show is contemporary, several passengers were pleased to hear more tunes from the '60s, '70s and 80s throughout the ship, following cruiser feedback.

Additionally, the ship has added a Beatles tribute performance to its nighttime entertainment repertoire."

42 minutes ago, Oville said:

We went to the 10:00 Eden show Revelation at 10:00 and it lasted about 1:15.  I left but Jeff stayed.  What I saw in of it in April was amazing and he really enjoyed it, nothing like January.

I'm really enjoying his videos. I have much more appreciation of the talented Edenists. It is not like what I saw in December.

I still believe they should try pulling replacing the bifold doors with a traditional sliding balcony glass door and adding curtains.  That way cruisers who enjoy a traditional balcony cabin could just keep the window down. Maybe just do this on several decks to option of what type of balcony they get.

Glad to here about more shade especially the Sunset grill needs more badly. 

I also think they need to rethink the Martini bar layout. Having people sit in chairs for half the bar makes it hard to stand and order drinks.

Eden is a lot of space. Does anybody think they maybe they should consider taking the 3rd level and making a different bar out of it?  I would love a sports bar but just any kind of bard for another option might be good.

Finally hoping someone in Celebrity purchasing goes to the lounger maker and says lets make that the back slots 4- 6" longer so people can actually sit up in the pool lounge chairs. Seems like a no extra cost solution to a dumb idea.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Here is a clip from the now defunct show 'Hype'. The new show, called Marcus Terrell and The Serenades, features the same main singer. The new show is about how he auditioned for various TV competition shows such as American Idol and America's Got Talent. He is accompanied by 2 backup singers. The first half is Motown music, the second half is other contemporary pop music. A couple of songs from Hype was incorporated into this new show. 

Besides The above mentioned show, the other 'production' show was The existing Hot Summer Night's Dream. All the other shows would be what you would call  'Headliner' entertainers. This includes the Beatles tribute band, A Hard Day's Night; two comedians; a female singer, and a male singer.This made up the seven night's main shows. 

That was the show we saw with Marcus and it was very good. Surprised they dumped Kaleidoscope too, or did I misread your response? Really glad we got on early enough to see the original shows.  

6 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

This section of the article linked in the first post ‘several passengers were pleased to hear more tunes from the '60s, '70s and 80s throughout the ship, following cruiser feedback’

We really enjoyed the contemporary (term used on this site) music around the ship including the hip hop on the pool deck. We got our 21 year old daughter interested in the Apex in part to that style of music being played all around the ship. 

The changes have me watching closely to see what will happen with the Apex. I am guessing they won’t be playing the kind of music I liked from the 60’s thru the 80’s and I am not a fan of the Beetle’s. 

The vibe of the ship which the music played a part in, will definitely be different now, not sure if it will be for us. Can’t wait to hear some more Edge reports in the coming months to get a feel for the styles of music being played. 

If you give me an idea of your favorite bands/musicians, I’ll look for similar music on my TA.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I'm really enjoying his videos. I have much more appreciation of the talented Edenists. It is not like what I saw in December.

I am still trying to figure out what I saw in a January, it made no sense to me even after reading everyone’s explanations before our trip. 

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I saw about 20 minutes and it was pretty amazing, well worth taking in.  Now if Celebrity would get rid of that mist that irritates some of us...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am still trying to figure out what I saw in a January, it made no sense to me even after reading everyone’s explanations before our trip. 

Yes, I'm not sure of the plot either, but the moves are pretty spectacular. I don't usually go for that type of performance, but was impressed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

The show we saw was very athletic and acrobatic, parts truly amazing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

That was the show we saw with Marcus and it was very good. Surprised they dumped Kaleidoscope too, or did I misread your response? Really glad we got on early enough to see the original shows.  

Correct. At least on April 14th sailing, there was no show called Kaleidoscope. I did feel there were too few 'Production' shows (almost ALL cruiselines have three Production shows with singers and dancers on a seven night Itinerary) but I imagine they are developing new shows that would have a wider appeal.  

1 minute ago, Oville said:

There is a show called Acrobatics Show:Mirage that's performed in The club several times a week but ONLY one show at 7:30pm. We never got to see this since that's our dinnertime. Maybe that's what you saw in January?

8 minutes ago, Oville said:

I saw about 20 minutes and it was pretty amazing, well worth taking in.  Now if Celebrity would get rid of that mist that irritates some of us...

You said it sister! Good thing my allergies forced me to give up mascara. Five minutes of my eyes watering due to that fog, and I look like a psycho raccoon😜

Edited by Silkroad

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

There is a show called Acrobatics Show:Mirage that's performed in The club several times a week but ONLY one show at 7:30pm. We never got to see this since that's our dinnertime. Maybe that's what you saw in January?

No, the Eden show we saw on our April 7th cruise was called The Revelation at 10:00.  We tried to see the show in The Club at 7:30 but there was very limited seating and after one try we did not go back as it too interfered with our evening plans.

Edited by Oville

Just now, Oville said:

No, the Eden show we saw on our April 7th cruise and it was called The Revelation..  We tried to see the show in The Club but there is very limited seating.

Didn't you also see some rehearsals in Eden? Those videos looked pretty cool. That must be new - I never saw them rehearsing in there on previous cruises.

30 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

If you give me an idea of your favorite bands/musicians, I’ll look for similar music on my TA.

I currently like singer songwriter stuff like Ed Sheeren, which I think is why I liked Michael Redden who did some of his original stuff and has a great album which I bought after the cruise. The Reckless charms were also very good too. They even had Madison from the theatre performers sing in the club, she was really good. 

My wife has gotten me into the current pop music too, prefer the edgier sounding singers like Pink, Elle King, Imagine Dragon, etc.  Being mid 40s, my core music taste is rock and roll, rap, and punk. You can throw Jazz music in there too:) 

I really like a lot of music, but really liked the vibe the current music gave the ship and its use in the shows (not something we have seen before at sea). It really gave a different feel to the trip and I found that some of the tree performers were must sees for us. RCCL had a house band Kronos that played rock and roll that we skipped a theatre show to watch. 

If they play going to the chapel onboard in the future though, I may have to jump;) Only oldies song I truly hated. I really believe music moves the soul and listen as much as I can. 

Thanks in advance:)

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

You said it sister! Good thing my allergies forced me to give up mascara. Five minutes of my eyes watering due to that fog, and I look like a psycho raccoon😜

Ha, ha.  My allergies are so bad that I stopped wearing mascara a while ago😉.  In all seriousness we were  sitting up on deck 6, great viewing but... 

I do think I mentioned to you that I went down to the Eden restaurant before the show and the few a spoke to hadn’t even noticed the odor.  (Just what every diner wants, someone interviewing them, but they were all friendly and having a good time)

Edited by Oville

16 minutes ago, Oville said:

Exactly, I thought the performers were extremely talented, especially the ex gymnast, but I just couldn’t figure out the theme of the show. Thankfully the lady next to me got pillows piled on her by an edinist instead of me;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Ha, ha.  My allergies are so bad that I stopped wearing mascara a while ago😉.  In all seriousness we were sitting sitting up on deck 6, great viewing but... 

I do think I mentioned to you that I went down to the Eden restaurant before the show and the few a spoke to hadn’t even noticed the odor.  (Just what every diner wants, someone interviewing them, but they were all friendly and having a good time)

Haha I find they’re much more friendly if I don’t approach their table holding a fork and knife🤣

22 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Didn't you also see some rehearsals in Eden? Those videos looked pretty cool. That must be new - I never saw them rehearsing in there on previous cruises.

We did, it was one day we had lunch in Eden and went up on the ramp to sit in our favorite bucket seats but they were taken. Instead we had the wonderful surprise to see the practice just around the bend.  

Did J send anything of the opening of the actual show?  We were in awe.

Edited by Oville

11 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

I also hope they add back a couple of (good) production shows. I'm not as keen on watching headline acts the whole cruise.

A “Hot” Summer Night’s Dream is a production show and good.

7 minutes ago, Oville said:

We did, it was one day we had lunch in Eden and went up on the ramp to sit in our favorite bucket seats but they were taken. Instead we had the wonderful surprise to see the practice just around the bend.  

Did J send anything of the opening of the actual show?  We were in awe.

No, I don't think I've seen the opening.

Must have been fun to see the rehearsal!