Potential Edge Modifications Revealed By Cruise Critic Editor

vtcruising

We are older than most hope passengers to be but we did sail on the Edge in February and enjoyed it. 

Our cabin was oceanview(so we could afford to sail on the Edge) and thought it was quite nice and spacious.We did a cabin crawl which was fun to see how others had to live. We had been on the eastern route before so a good view was not that important from our cabin. The bathroom was so much nicer than the other Celebrity ships.

We enjoyed Fine Cut but found the waiter to have an attitude and the music from the open floor below(where the Martini Bar was) did limit conversation at times.

We enjoyed very much dinner at Eden and then the show and did not really understand the story.  We just thought of it as similar to Cirque de Soleil.  We spoke to several performers at dinner and after the show and they really did try to give the passengers a wonderful show.  I am sorry to hear that the show may be changed for the performers sake.

The music on Edge was good.  We really missed the Martini Bar which was half the size of other Martini Bars  which encouraged conversations with others and let us enjoy the "performances".  The bartenders on Edge still did their show but the seating was so limited. Lots of seating in the area of the bar but not the same.

We were glad to sail on a ship somewhat different from the others but may not pay extra to experience it for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Hopefully all on the same cruise!

Absolutely, fingers crossed us Edgies will all be on Apex in November 2020.  Now if we could pick up a few more😉😄.   Hopefully they are having a blast on the Edge TA.  Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oville said:

Absolutely, fingers crossed us Edgies will all be on Apex in November 2020.  Now if we could pick up a few more😉😄.   Hopefully they are having a blast on the Edge TA.  Katie

The silence is deafening! Either it is really, really good so no time to post or really, really bad so they have been in GS the whole time! 😉

Hopefully, the former!!🙂 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

The silence is deafening! Either it is really, really good so no time to post or really, really bad so they have been in GS the whole time! 😉

Hopefully, the former!!🙂 

Oh I  too hope the former, those three seem like a fun group and are in Bermuda for an overnight.  My guess is they are having fun, let’s hope.😉

• Like 1

Katie and Marilyn, I can't speak for the others, but DH and I are having a great time! I've meant to post, but we have been busy exploring, dining, sipping, seeing shows, checking out live music etc.

Yesterday, Celebrity really did a great job with our CC meet & greet! Met Captain Costas, who was quite charming, as well as several senior officers. I met both C-Dragons and Texed, which was great. Our cabin crawl was yesterday also, so we were able to see a nice assortment of cabins. We also attended a lovely Captain's club party yesterday lol.

I'm making notes, and taking some photos. I had intended to try starting a live review,  but I may need to rethink that. Will write a review one way or the other.

BTW DH and I have roamed most of the ship, day and night, and have noted no sewer smells at all. Not discounting previous reports,  but giving our experience.

Haven't found IV locked except for a short time on day we boarded, and that could have been operator error lol. They're doing a great job letting us know when they might be locked, and for what duration.

Haven't gone to Le Grande Bistro yet, but I will ask them about the venue's future when I go. Dined at Rooftop Garden Grill last night. Unfortunately, we had a windy dinner, though none of us ended up wearing one another's food or beverages😉 More on this later, but the best I could get from staff there is that there aren't plans to add wind protection on Edge, but there will be changes to Apex.

Marilyn,  I visit Mr. Edge several times daily, and always pat him for you😊 Love the art on Edge! I visit the wooden people daily too😊 Thanks so much to both of you (and everyone who posted reviews) for your tips. They have been invaluable. More soon. Need sleep🤪

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Marilyn,  I forgot to mention that I did have a margarita for you at sail away🚢 Haven't caught up on this thread, or other Edge threads, so let me know if there's anything specific you'd like me to check out. cgolf1, I haven't forgotten my music mission. I'll check out as much of the live music and shows as I can, and also try to learn future plans. We lost an hour yesterday,  so I'm running on fumes. Good night all,

Michelle😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Katie and Marilyn, I can't speak for the others, but DH and I are having a great time! I've meant to post, but we have been busy exploring, dining, sipping, seeing shows, checking out live music etc.

Yesterday, Celebrity really did a great job with our CC meet & greet! Met Captain Costas, who was quite charming, as well as several senior officers. I met both C-Dragons and Texed, which was great. Our cabin crawl was yesterday also, so we were able to see a nice assortment of cabins. We also attended a lovely Captain's club party yesterday lol.

I'm making notes, and taking some photos. I had intended to try starting a live review,  but I may need to rethink that. Will write a review one way or the other.

BTW DH and I have roamed most of the ship, day and night, and have noted no sewer smells at all. Not discounting previous reports,  but giving our experience.

Haven't found IV locked except for a short time on day we boarded, and that could have been operator error lol. They're doing a great job letting us know when they might be locked, and for what duration.

Haven't gone to Le Grande Bistro yet, but I will ask them about the venue's future when I go. Dined at Rooftop Garden Grill last night. Unfortunately, we had a windy dinner, though none of us ended up wearing one another's food or beverages😉 More on this later, but the best I could get from staff there is that there aren't plans to add wind protection on Edge, but there will be changes to Apex.

Marilyn,  I visit Mr. Edge several times daily, and always pat him for you😊 Love the art on Edge! I visit the wooden people daily too😊 Thanks so much to both of you (and everyone who posted reviews) for your tips. They have been invaluable. More soon. Need sleep🤪

Thank you for posting to let us know all is well!   So glad that you are enjoying the ship so far and that you are paying lots of attention to Mr Edge and visiting the wonderful Faceless People. I did feel happy at sail away time so figured you were having my margarita. 😉

Thanks for the updates on the smell - glad things are under control for now. Too bad about the RTG - a nice space, but will look forward to using it more on the Apex, with the windscreens. At least you didn't wear a your DH's beer like Katie did. 🙂

I suspected that you were too busy to post. I remember the first days I was onboard in November and how I snuck out onto the IV to post early in the morning after going to bed at midnight. I burned the candles at both ends, exhausted,  but happy. Please enjoy your cruise and don't worry about us!  Get lots of rest so that you don't get sick - it's a long journey. You are missed, but we can wait for your review. Enjoy everything to the fullest, but make sure you kick back and relax a bit too!! 😀

• Like 1

Glad it's going well on the EDGE..Hope you get a chance to sit out on the MC...Some mornings it is right next to the Solarium...good for mimosas in the morning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those of you keeping score, the reviews on the Edge for April have improved to 3.8 but they still seem to grouped into people that think everything is absolutely perfect to those who think the ship is average and usually misses the mark in a few areas.  No complaints of sewer smells but a consistent theme that everything seems very expensive.  A number of people seem to have downgraded there cabin selections (balcony to ocean view, blu to balcony, etc) in order to afford the Edge. One theme that seems to be continuing is that the design of the ship seems to be chopped up leading to many dead ends.  In addition people continue to find fault with the furniture viewing to be uncomfortable and non-functional.  I didn't find any consensus on the entertainment, but the Eden certainly did not seem to generate any wow factor.

For a point of reference, the Equinox rated a 4.1 in April.  No real consensus on any positives or negatives.  

Edited by ipeeinthepool

52 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad it's going well on the EDGE..Hope you get a chance to sit out on the MC...Some mornings it is right next to the Solarium...good for mimosas in the morning!

Oh, great idea! We will need to do that next time. Enjoyed the feel of the Magic Carpet - such a unique experience!

image.thumb.png.926fcd27068e24d3fe6370927cde2dc8.png

image.thumb.png.6b2164e18047c488ca9f76d77b6a2281.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Enjoy your cruise!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hcat said:

Looking forward to an SV on EDGE and APEX..Never tried one  on any ship..We have always done midships hump balcs and after that quietest AQ class xcabins we could find.. 

new adventure ahead

Ahhh, the aft cabins are our favourite part of the ship. We have just returned from an amazing holiday on another cruise line with the most amazing, private aft cabin. I wish we had our photos on the computer to be able to post one here for you. You will love it - it is quiet, usually gets the sun at some point, the views are amazing and the sunsets amazing. :-)

14 hours ago, Silkroad said:

I think he will be the first thing I visit ----- still remember the banter as EDGE sailed for the first time. :-)

Has anyone seen that polar bear since ?????????????????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I think he will be the first thing I visit ----- still remember the banter as EDGE sailed for the first time. 🙂

Has anyone seen that polar bear since ?????????????????

He's quite the party animal!  He loved the IV! 🙂

image.thumb.png.46b1402b362521d2ef65c26ba76e705d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

He's quite the party animal!  He loved the IV! 🙂

image.thumb.png.46b1402b362521d2ef65c26ba76e705d.png

I have sought him everywhere, to no avail. I did think I caught a glimpse of him near the Martini Bar last night, but then again, I'd just had two excellent margaritas lol. I'll keep looking...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the updates on the smell - glad things are under control for now. Too bad about the RTG - a nice space, but will look forward to using it more on the Apex, with the windscreens. At least you didn't wear a your DH's beer like Katie did. 

A big "thank you" to vtcruising and others who provided such helpful information about the Edge.  I did not experience any bad smells either during our 4/14 cruise.  My review is now posted - I submitted it about a week ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, welovetahiti said:

A big "thank you" to vtcruising and others who provided such helpful information about the Edge.  I did not experience any bad smells either during our 4/14 cruise.  My review is now posted - I submitted it about a week ago.

Will look for it....thanks for update on smells!

36 minutes ago, welovetahiti said:

Read your review.  Very well written and honest...good points made. It was not that easy to locate the CC reviews..maybe you should post a link.

I read through the 3 or 4 reviews just above yours ...not very high marks!

We are booked again on Edge and also APEX,..hope we have good luck with our Sunset Verandas and 4 mdr dining plan. No big plans for Specialty dining other than the Bistro...if the daytime menu survives!

Is it really true there is no AC in the Solarium??? I swam in the pool and used the hit tub..dud not feel too hit...but no AC woukd not be very god for an indoor space!

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Read your review.  Very well written and honest...good points made. It was not that easy to locate the CC reviews..maybe you should post a link.

I read through the 3 or 4 reviews just above yours ...not very high marks!

We are booked again on Edge and also APEX,..hope we have good luck with our Sunset Verandas and 4 mdr dining plan. No big plans for Specialty dining other than the Bistro...if the daytime menu survives!

Is it really true there is no AC in the Solarium??? I swam in the pool and used the hit tub..dud not feel too hit...but no AC woukd not be very god for an indoor space!

I am not sure, it was warm in the Solarium but much warmer outside.  I would think there must be some climate control since it was cooler than the outside during the day.  However, maybe not since you can open the windows.  It wasn't sweltering in there, and I would think with all the glass and sun it would be.