Potential Edge Modifications Revealed By Cruise Critic Editor

vtcruising

26 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thank you Marilyn and Katie! We should be aboard later this morning. Can't wait to explore Edge with our friends,  both old and new. Wish you could both be there too😊

Can’t wait to hear your first impressions!! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Thank you Marilyn and Katie! We should be aboard later this morning. Can't wait to explore Edge with our friends,  both old and new. Wish you could both be there too😊

Enjoy your trip:)

• Thanks 1

I think their logic of using 20% as a factor for the balcony, so make the cabin better instead is ridiculous.  Of course people spend a higher percentage of time in their room.  But the majority of it is spent sleeping (and the old bed was more than adequate in size, thank you, even for my 6'3" DH), doing their necessities in the bathroom, or dressing (I'll call this non-discretionary time).  To be reasonable, one needs to look at how much discretionary time people spend on the balcony versus their cabin.  Using that factor, I suspect the 20% would increase significantly, and would be true even if you just took the sleeping time out of the equation.

And I'll add one more comment while I'm venting.  So many people got attacked on these boards for commenting about things they didn't like about Edge class.  Can't accept change, should live in the current century, the good ole days were not that good, older experienced cruisers can't let go of the past and on and on and on.  Apparently those comments (and those on surveys) did some good after all.  It's a shame the whole ship seemed to have been designed without serious input from serious cruisers, but at least they are listening to some of the feedback and attempting to make changes.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think their logic of using 20% as a factor for the balcony, so make the cabin better instead is ridiculous.  Of course people spend a higher percentage of time in their room.  But the majority of it is spent sleeping (and the old bed was more than adequate in size, thank you, even for my 6'3" DH), doing their necessities in the bathroom, or dressing (I'll call this non-discretionary time).  To be reasonable, one needs to look at how much discretionary time people spend on the balcony versus their cabin.  Using that factor, I suspect the 20% would increase significantly, and would be true even if you just took the sleeping time out of the equation.

And I'll add one more comment while I'm venting.  So many people got attacked on these boards for commenting about things they didn't like about Edge class.  Can't accept change, should live in the current century, the good ole days were not that good, older experienced cruisers can't let go of the past and on and on and on.  Apparently those comments (and those on surveys) did some good after all.  It's a shame the whole ship seemed to have been designed without serious input from serious cruisers, but at least they are listening to some of the feedback and attempting to make changes.  

I will speak from the younger, mid 40s, middle class perspective about my thoughts on what is happening.

When we were on board one of our more frequent table mates pointed out to us that we were some of the youngest couples onboard and there weren’t many of us. 

We have determined that for us concierge level treatment and a veranda serves no purpose. Therefore we have settled on insides and oceanviews because they work for us and allow us to save some coin. I understand other people value room space differently. 

The inside room we had on the Edge had the nicest bathroom, huge shower, great layout, and way more storage than we could use. The only thing I could see would that it would be difficult for someone with a scooter. For us though this room was great and well thought out. We have seen pictures of aqua class storage and it appears our inside room had more. 

As for the entertainment, the music overall was geared towards a younger audience. Not saying that older generations can’t like the music, but the reactions to the Frankie Valli cover band vs the production shows and Marcus Terrel show we’re telling. 

I don’t expect others to like it, but for us it was a great fit. I would not however recommend it to my mom and dad, because they would not have enjoyed the entertainment when we sailed. 

Just like what some did not like in the original entertainment and house music, we would potentially  be very disappointed in the new entertainment that is being rolled out. Really looking forward to silkroad’s feedback on the new entertainment. 

I think Celebrity tried to bring in a new group of Celebrity cruisers and at least to this point have failed miserably. So I can totally understand why others dislike the Edge, but for us it was great:) as of now we are keeping our Apex booking, but there is now a high probability I will talk my wife into canceling it due to the changes taking place. 

On 4/24/2019 at 2:12 AM, bajathree said:

This obviously isn't accurate as those bifold doors don't actually seal. I also don't see how frosted glass can replace the use of a shade. While frosted glass will give some privacy it wouldn't block much light to darken the cabin. 

I wonder if it's technology similar to 787 aircraft use on their windows.  They slowly fade to completely black, electronically.

22 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

I will speak from the younger, mid 40s, middle class perspective about my thoughts on what is happening.

When we were on board one of our more frequent table mates pointed out to us that we were some of the youngest couples onboard and there weren’t many of us. 

We have determined that for us concierge level treatment and a veranda serves no purpose. Therefore we have settled on insides and oceanviews because they work for us and allow us to save some coin. I understand other people value room space differently. 

The inside room we had on the Edge had the nicest bathroom, huge shower, great layout, and way more storage than we could use. The only thing I could see would that it would be difficult for someone with a scooter. For us though this room was great and well thought out. We have seen pictures of aqua class storage and it appears our inside room had more. 

As for the entertainment, the music overall was geared towards a younger audience. Not saying that older generations can’t like the music, but the reactions to the Frankie Valli cover band vs the production shows and Marcus Terrel show we’re telling. 

I don’t expect others to like it, but for us it was a great fit. I would not however recommend it to my mom and dad, because they would not have enjoyed the entertainment when we sailed. 

Just like what some did not like in the original entertainment and house music, we would potentially  be very disappointed in the new entertainment that is being rolled out. Really looking forward to silkroad’s feedback on the new entertainment. 

I think Celebrity tried to bring in a new group of Celebrity cruisers and at least to this point have failed miserably. So I can totally understand why others dislike the Edge, but for us it was great:) as of now we are keeping our Apex booking, but there is now a high probability I will talk my wife into canceling it due to the changes taking place. 

I think we cruised around the same time on the Edge. I am old enough to be your mother 🙂 and also enjoyed much of the entertainment on the Edge.  I think that entertainment on a ship is like dining - it is subjective and should be varied so that there are choices for all tastes. I don't need to love every performance that I see to enjoy it, but there are some that just don't appeal to me at all.

I did enjoy Marcus Terell, though it was not my usual taste. The band was superb (loved the electric guitar), Marcus was very talented (liked some of the songs very much) and watching it on that wonderful stage made it even better. I probably would have loved the Frankie Valli cover band if it had been on our cruise. We really enjoyed Michael Reddon, as I think you did, and went to many of his sets. Micheal, the Reckless Charms, Dos Duo, Linda Capewell, the band Impulse were excellent performers and seemed to appeal to many, as the venues were often packed when they performed. The production shows usually are not our cup of tea, no matter which ship we are on - we don't go to them on the S Class or M Class either. Watching small portions of the shows on the Edge, they seemed like more of the same, except more bells and whistles on the stage. We did enjoy the comedians and other guest performers in the theater.

I really liked the energy of the Edge in January, as compared to December. I loved walking around at night checking out the nightlife. There was a lot of variety and something for just about everyone, IMO. There was often high energy dancing/modern music and technology (like pictures of the various people dancing would flash up on the screen or Silent Disco) at the Club that looked like people of all ages were having a lot of fun or more mellow dancing with the Edge Theater Ensemble Band at another time at the Club. Eden had its unique show going on, the theater often had the production shows or performers that made good use of the new theater special effects and the great band. The Rooftop Garden might have a band or a movie playing, with people enjoying the more mellow atmosphere. The pool could be quiet and mellow or might have a fun party going on with the DJ. The Grand Plaza was the hub of the ship, with lots of energy and great music from the many performers onboard.

Just like any ship I have been on, I don't expect to like it all, but hope for the same quality music that we experienced this year (I think one of the best music selections we have had on a non-charter cruise).  We are booked on Edge and Apex, as well as other X ships, and will be watching reviews of the entertainment as well, since the music is a huge factor in our satisfaction.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cle-guy said:

I wonder if it's technology similar to 787 aircraft use on their windows.  They slowly fade to completely black, electronically.

Someone else mentioned something similar on another thread.  I wonder if it would be too cost-prohibitive?

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Someone else mentioned something similar on another thread.  I wonder if it would be too cost-prohibitive?

It would cost a fortune ..

I just want to know if that piggin' speaker outside 8292 will be given the chop ;-)

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 9:15 AM, cangelmd said:

(snip)

It seems, though, looking at all the schematics, pictures and measurements posted, that they made the bathrooms bigger (a good thing), but that space had to come from somewhere and in the end it came from the balcony/verandah. Those early videos that were released a couple of years ago, make it look more like a balcony in the room, and it just isn't that deep on the final ship. We are looking to do a river cruise, and have been looking at river cruise boats, it is easy to see where X may have gotten the idea, those floor to ceiling windows are amazing, especially on a trip where there is something to look at - maybe Alaska?

It seems to me that the change from "queen" sized beds to "king" would force as much (or probably more) reduction in veranda space than the bathroom changes.  The previous "queen" beds were about five feet wide. An American king size bed is six feet six inches in width. If the X "king" bed is close to American size, that would be a full foot, six inches that had to come from somewhere - obviously the veranda. 

The simplest way to adjust the veranda depth would be to return to a "queen" bed and give the extra foot six inches to the veranda.  That'll never happen.  

9 minutes ago, gisnered said:

It seems to me that the change from "queen" sized beds to "king" would force as much (or probably more) reduction in veranda space than the bathroom changes.  The previous "queen" beds were about five feet wide. An American king size bed is six feet six inches in width. If the X "king" bed is close to American size, that would be a full foot, six inches that had to come from somewhere - obviously the veranda. 

The simplest way to adjust the veranda depth would be to return to a "queen" bed and give the extra foot six inches to the veranda.  That'll never happen.  

Totally agree with your assessment and in fact when I was on the ship last week I SPECIFICALLY looked at this. My room (7127) had the bed by the Veranda and it was pretty apparent that if the bed was smaller you could push the Bi fold doors further into the room. 

The other thing to notice is the retractable shade is pretty far away from the window. I'm not sure if there are structural issues that prevent the blinds from being installed closer to the window but where they're installed now creates issues with having to make sure the furniture is not in the way of the blinds coming all the way down, necessitating all the furniture moving just to close the blinds.

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

It would cost a fortune ..

I just want to know if that piggin' speaker outside 8292 will be given the chop 😉

Is that the one that broadcasts from EDEN ???

Have not heard anything new....if it is a big annoyance I think there would be complaints by now???

We will be in a Sunset Veranda in our next EDGE cruise and hope it will be quiet out on those balconies!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Have not heard anything new....if it is a big annoyance I think there would be complaints by now???

We will be in a Sunset Veranda in our next EDGE cruise and hope it will be quiet out on those balconies!

Agree - I know it was quieter in January than in December when we were out there, so hopefully a non-issue! 🙂

• Like 1

I think the kings are the root of the problem as well. I don't understand why they went with them - I really doubt that past cruisers have been asking for king beds. It makes a nice advertising line for the Edge, but other than that, there is no real gain in a basic-sized cabin. That foot would have made a huge difference in the IV!

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I think we cruised around the same time on the Edge. I am old enough to be your mother 🙂 and also enjoyed much of the entertainment on the Edge.  I think that entertainment on a ship is like dining - it is subjective and should be varied so that there are choices for all tastes. I don't need to love every performance that I see to enjoy it, but there are some that just don't appeal to me at all.

I did enjoy Marcus Terell, though it was not my usual taste. The band was superb (loved the electric guitar), Marcus was very talented (liked some of the songs very much) and watching it on that wonderful stage made it even better. I probably would have loved the Frankie Valli cover band if it had been on our cruise. We really enjoyed Michael Reddon, as I think you did, and went to many of his sets. Micheal, the Reckless Charms, Dos Duo, Linda Capewell, the band Impulse were excellent performers and seemed to appeal to many, as the venues were often packed when they performed. The production shows usually are not our cup of tea, no matter which ship we are on - we don't go to them on the S Class or M Class either. Watching small portions of the shows on the Edge, they seemed like more of the same, except more bells and whistles on the stage. We did enjoy the comedians and other guest performers in the theater.

I really liked the energy of the Edge in January, as compared to December. I loved walking around at night checking out the nightlife. There was a lot of variety and something for just about everyone, IMO. There was often high energy dancing/modern music and technology (like pictures of the various people dancing would flash up on the screen or Silent Disco) at the Club that looked like people of all ages were having a lot of fun or more mellow dancing with the Edge Theater Ensemble Band at another time at the Club. Eden had its unique show going on, the theater often had the production shows or performers that made good use of the new theater special effects and the great band. The Rooftop Garden might have a band or a movie playing, with people enjoying the more mellow atmosphere. The pool could be quiet and mellow or might have a fun party going on with the DJ. The Grand Plaza was the hub of the ship, with lots of energy and great music from the many performers onboard.

Just like any ship I have been on, I don't expect to like it all, but hope for the same quality music that we experienced this year (I think one of the best music selections we have had on a non-charter cruise).  We are booked on Edge and Apex, as well as other X ships, and will be watching reviews of the entertainment as well, since the music is a huge factor in our satisfaction.

I think there were too few of us that enjoyed the entertainment, but I am sure we will find something to enjoy on the Apex. I just wish Celebrity gave it some more time, perhaps differentiating the E class ships from the other ships. Reading the reviews on here I know there has been a lot dislike towards the Edge, that it is tough to be on the pro side without coming across as a cheerleader or that we are going after certain groups of people, when neither is true.

I wasn’t really on the Celebrity board before booking the Edge (once with a question if Celebrity would be a fit for us) but noticed the complaints start before the Hull was fully welded together. So not sure if the board was always like this or if the Edge and the Revolution shook things up a little:)

41 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I think there were too few of us that enjoyed the entertainment, but I am sure we will find something to enjoy on the Apex. I just wish Celebrity gave it some more time, perhaps differentiating the E class ships from the other ships. Reading the reviews on here I know there has been a lot dislike towards the Edge, that it is tough to be on the pro side without coming across as a cheerleader or that we are going after certain groups of people, when neither is true.

I wasn’t really on the Celebrity board before booking the Edge (once with a question if Celebrity would be a fit for us) but noticed the complaints start before the Hull was fully welded together. So not sure if the board was always like this or if the Edge and the Revolution shook things up a little:)

We had 2 years of more of a friendly banter on the Edge Sub-Forum, where almost everyone who posted was booked on or looking to book and was excited about the Edge and having a balanced discussion of positives and negatives as the ship was built. Once the sub-forum melded into the Main Board, it was inevitable that it would change the tone. I think most posters are genuine in their enjoyment of the ship or that if is not a good fit for them and share the good and the bad, but there are a few who will defend the ship no matter what and those who will criticize the ship with never a good word.  I try to ignore those who try to stir things up. I would rather spend my energy following and learning about the ship.

BTW, I have enjoyed your input about the Edge. It is refreshing to hear about your experience as a 30 something! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

We had 2 years of more of a friendly banter on the Edge Sub-Forum, where almost everyone who posted was booked on or looking to book and was excited about the Edge and having a balanced discussion of positives and negatives as the ship was built. Once the sub-forum melded into the Main Board, it was inevitable that it would change the tone. I think most posters are genuine in their enjoyment of the ship or that if is not a good fit for them and share the good and the bad, but there are a few who will defend the ship no matter what and those who will criticize the ship with never a good word.  I try to ignore the those who try to stir things up. I would rather spend my energy following and learning about the ship.

BTW, I have enjoyed your input about the Edge. It is refreshing to hear about your experience as a 30 something! 🙂

I don't think you've correctly identified the cause of the negative comments for the Edge.  The negative comments started after people started to experience the ship and experienced major problems with the design.  Before it came to the main board it was only a dream  If it fits your needs, great.  But you should recognize that it misses the mark in a lot of categories for many people.

23 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I don't think you've correctly identified the cause of the negative comments for the Edge.  The negative comments started after people started to experience the ship and experienced major problems with the design.  Before it came to the main board it was only a dream  If it fits your needs, great.  But you should recognize that it misses the mark in a lot of categories for many people.

I have been one of the ones critiquing the ship since I sailed (and before I sailed) - there is no problem with critiquing a ship. I was talking to cgolf above about when I thought the tone changed. The sub-forum went on for a little while after the first sailing and had a different tone, IMO. I wasn't talking about a negative tone - I was talking about some people taking sides and being all positive or some being all negative. I enjoy critiquing the ship, both positives and negatives, so that people can make accurate judgments when deciding whether or not to book.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

We had 2 years of more of a friendly banter on the Edge Sub-Forum, where almost everyone who posted was booked on or looking to book and was excited about the Edge and having a balanced discussion of positives and negatives as the ship was built. Once the sub-forum melded into the Main Board, it was inevitable that it would change the tone. I think most posters are genuine in their enjoyment of the ship or that if is not a good fit for them and share the good and the bad, but there are a few who will defend the ship no matter what and those who will criticize the ship with never a good word.  I try to ignore those who try to stir things up. I would rather spend my energy following and learning about the ship.

Thanks for taking ten years off;), my wife is early 40s. 

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If you look at the build thread there were some strong opinions before she was completed on the design choices. Not sure when it started to creep in, but VT is probably right. In my review I pointed out the good, bad, and ugly at the end of the review. There were some significant uglies, but in the end the entertainment, Magic Carpet, and the overall vibe of the ship made up for the misses for us in a big way. 

Still searching for the unattainable perfect cruise:)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hcat said:

Posted as it was a bit of an 'in joke' with some CC members. We have since moved and like you will now be in a SV cabin :-)

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Posted as it was a bit of an 'in joke' with some CC members. We have since moved and like you will now be in a SV cabin 🙂

Looking forward to an SV on EDGE and APEX..Never tried one  on any ship..We have always done midships hump balcs and after that quietest AQ class xcabins we could find.. 

new adventure ahead

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

Looking forward to an SV on EDGE and APEX..Never tried one  on any ship..We have always done midships hump balcs and after that quietest AQ class xcabins we could find.. 

new adventure ahead

For us too.

• Like 1