Potential Edge Modifications Revealed By Cruise Critic Editor

vtcruising

A Cruise Critic Editor wrote the following, after cruising the Edge and discussing potential changes with those onboard.

from the article:

"Celebrity listened. Over the past few months, the line has been incorporating feedback from cruisers and evaluating what needs to be tweaked."

"We're working through a few things," said Brian Abel, senior vice president of hotel operations for the entire Celebrity Cruises fleet. "The ship doesn't come to life until you have ... passengers and ... crewmembers onboard. ... You have to give the ship enough time to start living and breathing ... before you ... start making changes."

Changes include:

-entertainment changes, including Eden

-trial of frosted glass in bi-fold doors

-more shade

-less wind

-changing MDR specials for 4 MDRs (2 regional specials lists for each of the 4 MDRs rotated)

-Le Grand Bistro schedule change

-Dinner on the Edge change

and more!

Some great changes (though don't agree with Le Grand Bistro change) - a good start..... nothing about the suites in this article.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4017/

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"We can't mention Edge's cabins without discussing the contentious Infinite Verandas. These porch-like areas in balcony cabins allow for extra space and light, but they feature a window that lowers with the push of a button, rather than a traditional verandah. In lieu of curtains, electronic blinds raise and lower to keep out light and create privacy, and bi-fold glass doors seal off the area to allow the air-conditioning to stay on when the window is opened, keeping the rest of the room cool.

Because they're part of the ship's structure, the verandahs are unable to be changed, which is a bummer for stalwart fans of regular balconies, but the line has listened to complaints about the window shades, which often malfunction and don't close properly. Although Abel says the line is not considering curtains, the ship will be testing out frosted-glass bi-fold doors in a few cabins shortly. If they work better than the blinds, they could be installed shipwide."

This obviously isn't accurate as those bifold doors don't actually seal. I also don't see how frosted glass can replace the use of a shade. While frosted glass will give some privacy it wouldn't block much light to darken the cabin. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bajathree said:

"We can't mention Edge's cabins without discussing the contentious Infinite Verandas. These porch-like areas in balcony cabins allow for extra space and light, but they feature a window that lowers with the push of a button, rather than a traditional verandah. In lieu of curtains, electronic blinds raise and lower to keep out light and create privacy, and bi-fold glass doors seal off the area to allow the air-conditioning to stay on when the window is opened, keeping the rest of the room cool.

Because they're part of the ship's structure, the verandahs are unable to be changed, which is a bummer for stalwart fans of regular balconies, but the line has listened to complaints about the window shades, which often malfunction and don't close properly. Although Abel says the line is not considering curtains, the ship will be testing out frosted-glass bi-fold doors in a few cabins shortly. If they work better than the blinds, they could be installed shipwide."

This obviously isn't accurate as those bifold doors don't actually seal. I also don't see how frosted glass can replace the use of a shade. While frosted glass will give some privacy it wouldn't block much light to darken the cabin. 

I missed that  - I wonder if they are planning to fix the seal issue by adding something to the edges of the doors (if that is possible). I guess they will find out if the doors block enough light in the trials - I think most people will want it dark when the doors are closed.

• Like 2

I was just about to post the same link lol! 

I’m quite disappointed to about read some of the potential changes to Le Grande Bistro! I wonder if this is a miscommunication error. Though lunch is still on my app for the TA departing Sunday, breakfast is not. Brunch sounds lovely, but I hope they don’t discontinue lunches. I have several favorites picked out, so I hope I won’t find the doors closed😥

Based on this article, Mr. Abel did not address one of the main (and oft reported) flaws in the IV implementation, which is that the bifold doors are NOT airtight, so they do NOT keep cool air in. Frosting the bifold doors solves nothing if people must rearrange Veranda furniture several times per day in order to open/close bifold doors. Removing the blinds on the IV will certainly make the cabins too bright in the morning, and too hot in direct sun.

The article doesn’t even mention the wind problem in the Rooftop Garden Grill, so I’m not sure Celebrity is trying to address the issue. I am happy to hear about positive changes to Eden and the other show/music venues (though I happen to enjoy contemporary music, as well as older music). They definitely need more shaded areas, and I wish they’d state when they’re going to add shades to various spaces.

I’m glad X is listening to passenger feedback, but they seem to be willfully ignoring how badly they screwed up the implementation of the IV (the veranda itself, not the cabin). The concept was fine, but something (ummm passenger comfort, and functionality) got lost between design and build. I’ve read half a dozen comments about the IV from X staff to the effect of, passengers need time to understand what we were trying to do. Right. That sounds like they’re expecting the entire Edge experience to compensate for the IV implementation defects. Maybe they’re right. Celebrity Edge, we’re ready to be amazed, and we’ll be there in roughly 4 days, 2 hours, and 10 minutes😎😎

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bajathree said:

This obviously isn't accurate as those bifold doors don't actually seal. I also don't see how frosted glass can replace the use of a shade. While frosted glass will give some privacy it wouldn't block much light to darken the cabin

Great minds think alike lol. You posted while I was writing my post🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I was just about to post the same link lol! 

I’m quite disappointed to about read some of the potential changes to Le Grande Bistro! I wonder if this is a miscommunication error. Though lunch is still on my app for the TA departing Sunday, breakfast is not. Brunch sounds lovely, but I hope they don’t discontinue lunches. I have several favorites picked out, so I hope I won’t find the doors closed😥

Based on this article, Mr. Abel did not address one of the main (and oft reported) flaws in the IV implementation, which is that the bifold doors are NOT airtight, so they do NOT keep cool air in. Frosting the bifold doors solves nothing if people must rearrange Veranda furniture several times per day in order to open/close bifold doors. Removing the blinds on the IV will certainly make the cabins too bright in the morning, and too hot in direct sun.

The article doesn’t even mention the wind problem in the Rooftop Garden Grill, so I’m not sure Celebrity is trying to address the issue. I am happy to hear about positive changes to Eden and the other show/music venues (though I happen to enjoy contemporary music, as well as older music). They definitely need more shaded areas, and I wish they’d state when they’re going to add shades. 

I’m glad X is listening to passenger feedback, but they seem to be willfully ignoring how badly they screwed up the implementation of the IV (the veranda itself, not the cabin). The concept was fine, but something (ummm passenger comfort, and functionality) got lost between design and build. I’ve read half a dozen comments about the IV from X staff to the effect of, passengers need time to understand what we were trying to do. Right. That sounds like they’re expecting the entire Edge experience to compensate for the IV implementation defects. Maybe they’re right. Celebrity Edge, we’re ready to be amazed, and we’ll be there in roughly 4 days, 2 hours, and 10 minutes😎😎

We'll see if Jenn can now put out her videos of the discussion (she was probably waiting for this to come out) - the article was just an overview.  I wondered about the seal above - it seems they could trial fixing that with the frosted doors (maybe add something to each door edge to create a seal.

I'm also disappointed about LGB, if true that they will never do the lunches. They were so popular on our January cruise, that we had a hard time getting a table on the last sea day, so I find it hard to believe that it didn't resonate to guests.

Despite not having all of the issues being fixed for your cruise, you are going to have a wonderful cruise, I predict! 🙂

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

We'll see if Jenn can now put out her videos of the discussion (she was probably waiting for this to come out) - the article was just an overview.  I wondered about the seal above - it seems they could trial fixing that with the frosted doors (maybe add something to each door edge to create a seal.

I'm also disappointed about LGB, if true that they will never do the lunches. They were so popular on our January cruise, that we had a hard time getting a table on the last sea day, so I find it hard to believe that it didn't resonate to guests.

Despite not having all of the issues being fixed for your cruise, you are going to have a wonderful cruise, I predict! 🙂

Yes, I’ve been waiting for Jenn to post the rest of her review, but I’m sure she’s overwhelmed with work. I hope she’s feeling better (land sickness). 

LGB lunches are on my app for my TA. There’s also a price for brunch. Perhaps Mr. Abel meant to say breakfasts were discontinued, and a couple brunches per cruise added? Regardless, we’ll do our best to convince them to keep lunches, and when it comes to tasty French bistro fare, our best can be verrrry impressive😋

I have no doubt we’ll have a wonderful cruise, and I believe we’ll love Edge herself. I am not sure we’ll want to book another IV, especially at current prices. OMG I need to cull my clothing pile, so DH has room for his clothes🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Yes, I’ve been waiting for Jenn to post the rest of her review, but I’m sure she’s overwhelmed with work. I hope she’s feeling better (land sickness). 

LGB lunches are on my app for my TA. There’s also a price for brunch. Perhaps Mr. Abel meant to say breakfasts were discontinued, and a couple brunches per cruise added? Regardless, we’ll do our best to convince them to keep lunches, and when it comes to tasty French bistro fare, our best can be verrrry impressive😋

I have no doubt we’ll have a wonderful cruise, and I believe we’ll love Edge herself. I am not sure we’ll want to book another IV, especially at current prices. OMG I need to cull my clothing pile, so DH has room for his clothes🤣

You could be right about LGB. Katie ate lunch there 2 weeks ago.

I hate the culling process! Good luck with that!

38 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

The article doesn’t even mention the wind problem in the Rooftop Garden Grill, so I’m not sure Celebrity is trying to address the issue. I am happy to hear about positive changes to Eden and the other show/music venues (though I happen to enjoy contemporary music, as well as older music). They definitely need more shaded areas, and I wish they’d state when they’re going to add shades to various spaces. 

Perhaps someone can find it, but I swear I read in someone's review or other Edge thread, that a crew member in the Rooftop Garden told them that some sort of windbreaks were going to be installed as soon as was possible, because the restaurant was not being utilized to the extent that they expected, and wind was the constant complaint.

Maybe someone can find that thread, or maybe that just isn't true.

LOL. Silkroad, don't you realized "never admit fault or error" is one of the first lessons at business school? Somebody will sue you because they bonked their knees rearranging the furniture to close the bifold doors!

It will be a long time before I get to sail on Edge, I would love to see for myself. It seems, though, looking at all the schematics, pictures and measurements posted, that they made the bathrooms bigger (a good thing), but that space had to come from somewhere and in the end it came from the balcony/verandah. Those early videos that were released a couple of years ago, make it look more like a balcony in the room, and it just isn't that deep on the final ship. We are looking to do a river cruise, and have been looking at river cruise boats, it is easy to see where X may have gotten the idea, those floor to ceiling windows are amazing, especially on a trip where there is something to look at - maybe Alaska?

I posted this on the live by Jen thread....did not see this  thread  til just now....

"Thanks twodjs and debinAntigua

Very interesting article... Great job by Ashley...esp after the live review by Jen

When we return to EDGE,  we look forward to  experiencing the revised show formats, brunch at the Bistro  for sure,  ( hope they still  do lunch).

We   will be closely  following the 4 mdr menu changes.  They are probably doing the rotation  to benefit fixed seating diners who have had trouble visiting other mdrs   Hope it does not mess up the original menus which was a big draw to Select Dining .

Dining on the MC may not work for us due to dh severe  lobster allergy ..(recent reviews indicate the foods are served on a mixed platter.)  But we look forward to sitting out there for drinks with awesome view!

Also glad there may be more shade and wind blockers on open deck areas..sorely needed.

As for the IVs, frosted bi fold glass won't do much for us...they are  cumbersome to operate, and if one is on the balc side with doors closed it feels closed in and gets very warm. We liked our AQ Class IV , and had no major issues with the  veranda doors left open..other than AC  control. 

No mention was made of  general acoustics in the Martini bar area and noise/ music affecting restaurants  nearby. Work in Progress!

We are not  going back on EDGE until Nov so things may  continue to change and evolve.  We'll be in a SV with the 4 mdr plan.

Glad X is doing it's best listening to guest feedback.  Thanks to Cruise Critic for providing a forum  where  info can be shared!"

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It will be interesting to see if the Magic Carpet is dropped from the Apex and future ships.  I'll bet the Magic Carpet doesn't survive the first drydock on the Edge.

Magic Carpet is already in place on Apex....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Perhaps someone can find it, but I swear I read in someone's review or other Edge thread, that a crew member in the Rooftop Garden told them that some sort of windbreaks were going to be installed as soon as was possible, because the restaurant was not being utilized to the extent that they expected, and wind was the constant complaint.

LOL. Silkroad, don't you realized "never admit fault or error" is one of the first lessons at business school? Somebody will sue you because they bonked their knees rearranging the furniture to close the bifold doors!

I saw the same thread, but was sorry to see no mention of the issue (or resolution) in the CC article under discussion. We’re booked (we hope) for the RTG on our second night, so we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully, none of us will end up festooned with red wine or salad😂

Yes, indeed. I have a business degree myself, so I’m well aware of that “lesson”. It hadn’t even occurred to me to consider these potential legal issues, and I think it would be ridiculous to do so. Was there not also a lesson about maintaining good faith with one’s customers, in hopes of their future business? I don’t care about pointing fingers. I care about X resolving as many design/decoration issues as are structurally possible, ASAP.  Evasiveness and obfuscation on the part of any business annoys me. Tell me it will be fixed, and when, or tell me it will not be fixed. That’s the kind of honesty I expect from a business, and that’s the kind of honesty that keeps MY business.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Lunch at Le Grand Bistro was arguably the best meal we had on Edge, so I am also incredibly disappointed to hear that this is going away. It was packed the day we went.

If I wanted to eat waffles at a buffet-style setup, I'd . . . . go to the buffet.

As one of the people who really enjoyed Edge, I have to say I worry that some of the changes will water down the experience. When we booked onboard for Apex my husband and I agreed that we'd keep an eye on how the ship evolved and cancel if X eliminated things we liked--modern music, more contemporary decor and activities, updated food.

The veranda can be made any depth - it is not structurally dependent. The King Size bed is the limiting factor. Perhaps frosted is the incorrect term to use for the test doors, as frosted does nothing for reducing light. Solid doors would, or doors that electronically block the light (like in the 787 dreamliners) could work.

• Like 5

Really disappointed in the change in the music about the ship. This was a huge highlight for us and way better than any ship we have ever been on. If the proposed music is on Apex, it may be a cancel.

Same goes for the shows, we thought they were great, but knew they were in trouble observing some of the crowd. 

Eden, well I am with most on this one, story line was impossible to follow, so glad changes being made there. 

I am really glad we sailed the Edge when we did!

Edited by cgolf1

12 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sorry, I didn't notice that detail.  Perhaps they will recognize the folly of the Magic carpet on the next build.

The Magic Carpet isn't a folly or useless at all.

We enjoyed it very much on both our Edge cruises: we used it as a bar, for Dinner on the Edge, as tender boarding platform and just for sitting and enjoying the view.

It's one of the most multifunctional spaces on the ship and like it or loathe it, a very distinctive architectural feature drawing attention to the ship wherever she's in port. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Sorry, I didn't notice that detail.  Perhaps they will recognize the folly of the Magic carpet on the next build.

The Magic Carpet was one of our favorite places to relax while at sea. Very nice spot with great views. Maybe they take it to the next level with a glass floor:)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, [g]cruiserke said:

The Magic Carpet isn't a folly or useless at all.

We enjoyed it very much on both our Edge cruises: we used it as a bar, for Dinner on the Edge, as tender boarding platform and just for sitting and enjoying the view.

It's one of the most multifunctional spaces on the ship and like it or loathe it, a very distinctive architectural feature drawing attention to the ship wherever she's in port. 

I glad you enjoyed the carpet, but as the article details it's hardly magic.  It's just too windy to enjoy eating in the area under many conditions and it can't be raised completely up while cruising under many conditions.. For many of us, it was a complete miss and the money and space could be better spent.  Yes, I think folly is a good term to describe the carpet.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

I am the one who reported that the Maitre 'D at Roof Top Garden Grill told me--while aboard Edge last month--that the restaurant would be enclosed to address wind and soot issues...  And in fact, he told me that he was expecting that the work would be completed before I reboard Edge this Sunday for the Transatlantic...

You will find my related comment--it wasn't a review--as post #21 in Jenn's thread...  She subsequently reported--in the same thread--that the work had not been completed while she was aboard but did not further mention the issue or project status [that I noted] in the context of discussions with Brian Abel...

The complaints must have been many and X realised it was hitting their bottom line to openly admit the problems and issues; glad that those on the ship did obviously make their comments and feelings known. I think many things were not fully considered and it sounds like the ‘images’ bowled the top brass over, rather than the actual passenger experience being greatly considered. The alterations will be a definite positive for all future pax for at least they will have better functioning areas and an improved experience 👍. I can still see more of a mixture of IVs and regular balconies on future builds past Apex. All they need now is to start making the pricing more realistic 😉.

• Like 4