Nieuw Amsterdam accident

8 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Who's the captain? He's the bald headed one, in the middle, Peter Jansen is on the right and the pilot is on the left, It's not Draper..

That appears to be Nieuw A's captain Jeroen van Donselaar. Draper has Noordam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWvacationer said:

We were onboard NA, on our aft balcony on deck 5 watching as the Oosterdam maneuvered into place. We kept telling each other “there is no way she isn’t going to hit us” - then she hit us. Was quite a jolt - thankfully it doesn’t seem anyone was injured. 

Wow.....this is a cruise you will never forget.....!!!!!

• Like 1

I have no nautical background.  Do you really think these ships will sail today?

Last year we were in Chicago on a plane ready to pushback and taxi to the runway.  The right wing was “brushed” by a service vehicle.  We didn’t even feel it sitting on the left side of the plane.  I knew instantly that plane would not fly.  Within five minutes the captain announced the flight was canceled.

I think aeronautical standards are higher than the cruise industry standards.

I am thankful no one was injured today.  

4 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

I have no nautical background.  Do you really think these ships will sail today?

Last year we were in Chicago on a plane ready to pushback and taxi to the runway.  The right wing was “brushed” by a service vehicle.  We didn’t even feel it sitting on the left side of the plane.  I knew instantly that plane would not fly.  Within five minutes the captain announced the flight was canceled.

That is because the wing obviously is a critical flight surface. As a result, there needs to be a thorough inspection, and in most cases, a check must be done to insure that the structural integrity was not weakened. 

If a ground equipment dents the fuselage, there are protocols and allowances and sometimes, your flight will go ahead.

The cruise industry also has Safety as absolute priority number one. 

in this case of Oostie and NA, no critical surface or equipment seems affected, the ship can sail when cleared by the relevant authorities.

40 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Who's the captain? He's the bald headed one, in the middle, Peter Jansen is on the right and the pilot is on the left, It's not Draper..

Our captain on the Oosterdam has been/is Michael Willems. 25 years experience. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shebba said:

Our captain on the Oosterdam has been/is Michael Willems. 25 years experience. 

And a whole team of Officers and AB’s partaking in the docking process.

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Iolite said:

That should buff right out.

You waited almost 9 years to make this your first post! I’m laughing so hard, it’s the funniest thing ever. 9 years! 🤣 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

An "incident" is an unscheduled event that could lead to loss of, or disruption to, an organization's operations, services or functions and an "accident" is an unintentional act and unplanned event that could have been prevented under certain circumstances. But I do not have a clue why that is germane to the occurrence involving the two dam ships in Vancouver, BC this morning and No, the Germans didn't have anything to do with it

Thanks for the laugh!  When the steward knocked on our door and announced that we needed to evacuate Loren had just stepped into the shower and had to grab clothes and go.  Luckily the evacuation was cancelled shortly after and he got to finish his shower.  I told a friend that I bet we could have learned some great Dutch words if we had been on the Bridge 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

This is being investigated as we speak by Transport Canada, the Canadian equivalent of the NTSB. When they conclude their investigation, they will then make a determination if both ships are structurally sound to sail. This doesn't appear to have resulted in any damage below the water line/puncturing of the hull and/or to the azi-pods. If that conclusion happens today, and chances are it will, both ships will sail

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

........................  I told a friend that I bet we could have learned some great Dutch words if we had been on the Bridge 🙂

"Godverdomme" and "klootzak" come to mind! :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jhannah said:

The captain is master of the vessel and has ultimate responsibility. Capt. VanDonselar specifically told us in a discussion that the harbor pilot is an adviser, snd that he, the captain, never relinquishes control of the ship.

I feel sorry for those new passengers who are affected. Let's just hope there are some open spaces where they can be accommodated if repairs can't be made.

We were having breakfast in the Lido Market when it happened, and didn't feel a thing!

I believe you misunderstood the Captain.  What I believe he said is that the Captain never relinquishes responsibility.  The Captain relinquishes control of the vessel every day, when his bridge officers assume their watches, and also when he grants the pilot the "conn" (the authority to give maneuvering commands), just as he gives his bridge officers the "conn".

2 hours ago, Himself said:

So John:  It wouls seem that the Oosterdam hit the NA and the Captain has the ultimate responsibility.  My question is Will the Master of the Oosterdam lose his job over this incident?

Yes, the moving vessel is always at fault in an "allision" (nautical term for a moving vessel striking a stationary object).  As Despegue says, todays Safety Management System is not about assigning "blame" but to find the root cause and work to remove that root cause from future operations.  If the Captain is found to have followed all of HAL's ISM or SMS policies and procedures regarding docking, then there will be no blame assigned, and the investigation will focus on finding what went wrong, and why, and how we can prevent it from happening again.  Even if the Captain did not follow all ISM procedures, it may only result in a reprimand, as this is a very minor incident.  

1 hour ago, sammiedawg said:

There is nothing structural that has been damaged, at least visibly.  The ship's engineers will have done inspections of hull areas to determine if any damage happened down lower, and the class surveyors will be onboard for inspections as well.  This may just reach the definition of a "serious marine incident" which means damage to the vessel of more than $20k.  As John has said, those cabins will be taken out of inventory until repairs can be made, but that is the limit of any limitations on the two ships from this incident.  As for comparisons between aviation and maritime, Despegue has described the difference very well.  A plane needs a completely trustworthy wing to stay up in the air, while a ship does not need balconies to stay afloat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is being investigated as we speak by Transport Canada, the Canadian equivalent of the NTSB. When they conclude their investigation, they will then make a determination if both ships are structurally sound to sail. This doesn't appear to have resulted in any damage below the water line/puncturing of the hull and/or to the azi-pods. If that conclusion happens today, and chances are it will, both ships will sail

I’m guessing the classification society (Lloyd’s in HAL’s case?) may have to take a look before anyone goes anywhere.

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Ah oh... she has been christened the Oopsterdam by the passengers in one of the news interviews. 

LOL at Oopsterdam. We were once on the Enchantment of the Seas when we were delayed getting back to Fort Lauderdale due to a hurricane. At an extra show put on by the staff, one of them renamed the ship the Entrapment of the Seas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

That appears to be Nieuw A's captain Jeroen van Donselaar. Draper has Noordam

It seems that Michael Willems is the captain on the Oosterdam, don't know him..

1 hour ago, BigGreenFan said:

I’m guessing the classification society (Lloyd’s in HAL’s case?) may have to take a look before anyone goes anywhere.

Not necessarily.  If the ship doesn't report any structural damage, class won't really care.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

It seems that Michael Willems is the captain on the Oosterdam, don't know him..

Well, I do.

he is an absolute top guy.

please people, please please refrain from uneducated judging and talking about reponsibility, firing etc etc...all too often found on the Cruise Critic forums and over the whole social media after incidents/accidents.

let SMS/ISM do it’s work.

trust me, out of personal experience, it is not a nice feeling for those involved.

In Dutch, we have a proverb: “De beste stuurlui staan aan wal.” 

Freely translated as : the best drivers look from shore, meaning that it is all too easy to comment and judge, without actually experiencing the situation at hand.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigGreenFan said:

Lloyd's will also be involved, yes but not necessarily today

Edited by Copper10-8

59 minutes ago, Despegue said:

In Dutch, we have a proverb: “De beste stuurlui staan aan wal.” 

Freely translated as : the best drivers look from shore, meaning that it is all too easy to comment and judge, without actually experiencing the situation at hand.

"Back seat driver"

• Like 6