NCL Bliss Race Track Footage

Just back from the 6-day Coastal Transition cruise on the Bliss.  Here is a little footage for your enjoyment.  For those curious about the height of the 2nd passenger in the 2 passenger cars, you will enjoy the 'helmet' riding along with the driver in one of the cars (don't think this child was able to see anything...)

We had a blast and two in our cabin went three times each.

• Like 1

@Calif. Cruisers I was on that cruise with you!  I got to do the Karts once, right before sunset, but I guess you weren't filming that one.

@El_Rolfo, as someone that doesn't do go-karts often, I felt the speed was plenty.  It was certainly a fun experience.

I can now say that I've driven both go karts and bumper cars while at sea...

On 5/7/2019 at 8:36 PM, Calif. Cruisers said:

Just back from the 6-day Coastal Transition cruise on the Bliss.  Here is a little footage for your enjoyment.  For those curious about the height of the 2nd passenger in the 2 passenger cars, you will enjoy the 'helmet' riding along with the driver in one of the cars (don't think this child was able to see anything...)

We had a blast and two in our cabin went three times each.

I hope their is a faster version Lol. Do they have a record time for the track?

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I hope their is a faster version Lol. Do they have a record time for the track?

I've seen a few low 30s but I haven't seen anyone get into the 20s. It should be possible but slower traffic can be a problem. 

They should add a "time attack" session in the early morning where there is only one person on the track at a time...Warm-up lap, timed lap, cool-down lap. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I've seen a few low 30s but I haven't seen anyone get into the 20s. It should be possible but slower traffic can be a problem. 

They should add a "time attack" session in the early morning where there is only one person on the track at a time...Warm-up lap, timed lap, cool-down lap. 

Now that would be cool, everyone gets two laps

It was 9.95 per person (not sure if they charge both people in doubles, assuming they do, but we only did the single cars.)  I am not sure where the other $15 amount came from.

The only reason the two car groups might be slower is that the drivers might be more cautious driving with their children and so aren't zipping around trying to pass people.

The speeds are not slow for the single driver cars, but of course some people are slower than others and are encouraged to stay to the right when they are.  The speedier drivers zip around the slower cars and learn where to pass quickly.

There are times when the cars are slowed down by the NCL employee, in particular when it is the last lap and people are starting to exit back into the loading/unloading zone- so you might have a very slow last lap if you are far behind the other drivers.

You are given a cloth headmask (see below) that you put on before putting on the helmet (which is put on your head once you are in the race car by an NCL employee.)  These are washed (not disposable), I believe, and then used again for future people.  

IMG_1701.jpg

Edited by Calif. Cruisers

Well- that is disappointing if that is the new charge, with no change in length of time etc.  So how much has the price gone up in one year's time?  I am an NCL stockholder, with 13 cruises sailed , and am disappointed in some of their decisions about raising rates.  I guess since they can fill every slot, they feel they can raise the rates.  I don't think it reflects very well on their business model.  They should have figured out what the cost of providing this activity was and price it that way initially instead of raising the rates so much in one short year.  Otherwise it just looks like they are raising rates to gouge the passengers.  For those who are trying to plan a budget it gets more difficult, especially if you have several teenagers etc.  who will want to go several times.

I wonder if it is worth it to get a unlimited rate for one of the days or perhaps the whole week? Were there separate lines for those with 1 or 7 day passes?

OP- thanks for posting the video it was the best one yet I've seen and also I didn't know about the additional thing people had to put on besides the helmet!

Its frustrating because they look at every space to raise prices on everything; if there would be a recession they would be in for a rude awakening if consumer discretionary spending would decrease.

It would be hard to know who has a daily pass or weekly pass.  There were two lines somewhat but I think it was reservations vs no reservation.  If one were to get an unlimited daily pass depending on the cost it might be worth it.

Edited by Calif. Cruisers

C'mon folks, is it a "gouge" thing or a "supply n demand" thing?  

If we're talking drinks, there's no shortage of spirits aboard; but on the go kart track there's only so many go karts, so many people who can ride them at a time, so many hours in the day, and they're going to need recharged.  

It's the difference between raising the cover charge at a specialty restaurant that's always packed vs. one where there's seats available and servers idle.

Edited by MichaelCMTX
  • Like 1

My response to this would be this is 'gouge' because:

1) The price continues to go up exponentially even though in their original business model the consumer cost was far lower.

2) The consumer price is unrelated to the cost of provding the service/goods- as clearly their costs have not tripled in one year's time. (Yes there are costs for maintenance, replacement, etc. but they knew this long ago.)

3) The increase in cost affects some consumers quite a bit more than others.  Yes, some people could care less whether the cost is $15 a ride- they can afford it and it is no big deal.  For others it begins to price them out of the activity.  Just because you can get people to pay something does not mean that it is justified or just.

Yes, the world is supply and demand driven.  I understand that. This is a business and their goal is to make as much money as they can.  In that goal to make as much money as they can, they also have to take into consideration how their customer begins to feel.

They are selling this ship as having fun activites to do onboard.  I had fun, my family had fun.  We are likely to sail on this ship again and will probably ride on the cars again too (although maybe not three times.)  I will still feel like they are gouging passengers and raised the prices because they could still get people to do the activity for a higher price.

What I do know is that some activities we no longer do on crusies because the cost has gotten ridiculous- bingo for example.  We are all making choices every day.  For a family with several teenagers, the costs of the added activities may determine whether they choose this ship or another one. (Why pick a ship with activites that cost so much you won't do them?)  

It is fun to do the race carts at sea but we can also do them on land and it is not the main decision-maker for me about what cruise to take.

The novelty will wear off for the repeat customers, and the new customers will always give it a try if it is affordable for them.  The price will likely never drop...

I am not expecting their participation levels to drop at $15 a person, but I do know that for some families it might price them out of the activity if the rates keep doubling and tripling 'JUST because they can get it.'