Is It Really This Bad, or Exaggeration ?

jtm1

The Wind failure was from March 2018 ....

On the list shown I saw only two SS ships .... the problem with some journalists is they adopt the motto of ‘Never let the truth get in the way of a good story’ 😀

Pinch of salt time?

Appreciate this link and the follow-ups.  As I opened it, below is what it showed for each of the different ships operated by Silversea.   For us, getting ready to sail on the Silver Muse in late July 2019, this CDC score looked pretty good at 97 out of 100.  Not sure that it is correct to summarize "six of the eight dirtiest cruise ships are Silversea vessels".  By my counting from the body of the Fodors story, SS has two ships shown in this group of nine ships.  Factually, that is not the claimed "six of the eight dirtiest cruise ships are Silversea vessels".  Not trying to shill for Silversea, just looking at the facts in the article and the links.  Am I missing something?

For ALL cruise ships from every company test, this story noted: "the good news is, the vast majority of ships received satisfactory scores from the CDC."

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 235,068 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is that basic "score card" from CDC on the Silversea ships.  Some do well.  Others not as high in performance.  You can click on added links to see some details as to how things are tested and evaluated.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

647061627_ScreenShot2019-05-08at4_04_13PM.thumb.png.eefe8dccb804746317abc316e27ddf76.png

You  are correct --not sure why the fodor's headline says 8 ships when there are 9 on the  list. And I certainly messed up and should have indicated 2 of 8 (or 9). And the Silver Wind score is indeed from a year ago. So, mea culpa.

I was on The Silver Spirit just  prior to this February inspection and it looked spotless to me. Nonetheless, the score is recent and it is not a good one. 

Doesn't effect my fondness for Silversea nor my plans to sail on  it's ships in the future.  

7 minutes ago, jtm1 said:

You  are correct --not sure why the fodor's headline says 8 ships when there are 9 on the  list. And I certainly messed up and should have indicated 2 of 8 (or 9). And the Silver Wind score is indeed from a year ago. So, mea culpa.  I was on The Silver Spirit just  prior to this February inspection and it looked spotless to me. Nonetheless, the score is recent and it is not a good one.  Doesn't effect my fondness for Silversea nor my plans to sail on  it's ships in the future.  

Appreciate your follow-up and this added information.  That clarification helps.   Plus the very good experience details from when you were recently on the Silver Spirit.  Will do my own "research" in July for the Silver Muse.  Plus, many others on this board will be sailing the Silver Muse earlier this summer to provide their observations.   

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 28,141 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

As our rapidly approaching Tokyo to Vancouver cruise will the first visit of the Muse to the US since last September I fully expect the CDC to pay the ship a visit when it gets to Alaska: so we may see an updated score.

Personally, as long as the ship’s not quite as filthy as my sense of humour, then I’m not too worried. These scores seem to be far more about keeping a clipboard ticker in a job rather than researching anything meaningful. Heavily weighted scores and massive points over miniscule details lose my interest.  Dead bodies stored in ice machines, crew members being thrown overboard for being ill and sacrificial goats hidden in crew quarters do, however, get my interest. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Dead bodies stored in ice machines, crew members being thrown overboard for being ill and sacrificial goats hidden in crew quarters do, however, get my interest. 

Every time I have tried to bring a 🐐(sacrificial or edible) onboard, I have been denied by Security 😎

• Haha 2

We have wild Kashmiri goats on the Great Orme in Llandudno, they were originally a gift to Queen Victoria so I'm not sure if its treasonous to either cook or sacrifice one.

I Do Think with a bit of lippy on you might get one past security. 

image.png

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate your follow-up and this added information.  That clarification helps.   Plus the very good experience details from when you were recently on the Silver Spirit.  Will do my own "research" in July for the Silver Muse.  Plus, many others on this board will be sailing the Silver Muse earlier this summer to provide their observations.   

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 28,141 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Sailing Muse Alaska in August.  If I find the ship dirty & trashed, I know who to come after!

• Haha 2

On the list shown I saw only two SS ships .... the problem with some journalists is they adopt the motto of ‘Never let the truth get in the way of a good story😀

Agreed. Who could sell an article on cruise line found to have clean ships?

In the UK we are amused by the one newspaper running the royal baby story with headlines like 'American actress has child'.

But back to the dirty ship story. Have you ever read a newspaper article about something you know a lot about and found it true? Takes too long for the fee the journos earn.

Tony

Ex publisher of magazines in the UK!

Edited by T&C Fulham