Arriving REALLY EARLY to FLL Ideas anyone?

c-ruisedaddy

Got a great deal on my flight through Princess Air, but now because of the 737 problems they keep changing my arrival times in Fll.  Now it's a 5:00 AM arrival!  Changing flights now would be at least $150 pp more.  Any ideas on how to burn off some of the wait time?

Wait time to check in to your hotel?

If the room is ready, go check in.

If you want breakfast, go to the beach and have breakfast at Bo's On The Beach.  They started serving breakfast a couple of weeks ago.

If you are flying in the day of, get a day room with a 1PM check out, then go board.

It's up to you if you want to lug your bags around to get breakfast.  I would probably just treat it as any other long layover.  Find a nice, quiet place to sit at the airport and take a nap, read, iPad, or whatever.  Pack a few snacks beforehand.  Then around 9:30, head to the port.

19 hours ago, c-ruisedaddy said:

Got a great deal on my flight through Princess Air, but now because of the 737 problems they keep changing my arrival times in Fll.  Now it's a 5:00 AM arrival!  Changing flights now would be at least $150 pp more.  Any ideas on how to burn off some of the wait time?

Grab your bags..get a taxi or Uber...have them drop you off at a breakfast place like Lester's or Grandpa's Restaurant & Bakery (many other's but these are just my favorites).

Have a nice breakfast then call taxi or text Uber and head to the port. 

23 hours ago, c-ruisedaddy said:

A bit off the main topic, but did you see if your airline would give you a better flight?  In my experience, if they change your flight they are VERY willing to get you on another that will suit you better - but you do have to request it.  I only ask this since you mention the $150 cost.

This happens very often on my flights that I book more than several months out.  I have been able to get earlier, later and even one day earlier flights at no charge.

Consider paying the $150 + more for a later arrival time so you won't be so tired when you finally board the ship.

You'll end up spending some extra to do UBER and breakfast any way.  

To be on the safe side of not missing your cruise because of weather, etc.  it's a good idea to fly in the day before.  :classic_wink:

Book a budget room, check in about 6:00 and out about 1:00 as suggested by Blue above.  Shower, breakfast, nap, maybe a dip in the pool, and the check in for your cruise about 1:30

Pick up a rental car, go to Las Olas, have food (Bimini bread French toast) at the Floridian, spend the rest of the morning on Fort Lauderdale beach, and return the car to a port Everglades drop off.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a Southwest flight that was on-time in the air but taxing/waiting for a open gate added 30 minutes onto the flight. 

10 passengers flew into FLL but were leaving out of PortMiami = doubt they made it.

FLY in the day before!  Lots of hotel options around Port Everglades 

36 minutes ago, foflocruiser said:

I was on a Southwest flight that was on-time in the air but taxing/waiting for a open gate added 30 minutes onto the flight. 

10 passengers flew into FLL but were leaving out of PortMiami = doubt they made it.

FLY in the day before!  Lots of hotel options around Port Everglades 

If someone is going to miss their cruise over a flight being 1/2 hour late, then that was a VERY bad flight decision and quite a bit different than flying in early morning which has about a 10 hour buffer.