Best way to communicate while onboard?

Hi - we will be traveling on Explorer in a few weeks and I was curious if there was a free way to communicate with each other while onboard?  It would be myself, my husband and 2 kids - both age 11.  I don't want to have to buy an internet package for all of us.  It appears as though the Royal app isn't available for Explorer at the time of our cruise.  Any suggestions?

9 minutes ago, tommyjean said:

Hi - we will be traveling on Explorer in a few weeks and I was curious if there was a free way to communicate with each other while onboard?  It would be myself, my husband and 2 kids - both age 11.  I don't want to have to buy an internet package for all of us.  It appears as though the Royal app isn't available for Explorer at the time of our cruise.  Any suggestions?

No "free" way to communicate using a smartphone on Explorer as of today.

You can use the ship's cell tower and send texts for $0.50 (AT&T) per text sent.  If you have another carrier, then contact them about cruise ship cell coverage while at sea.

Stateroom phone has voicemail capability.

• Like 1

😊 We've done the notes before on other cruises.  I put a dry erase board on our door the last cruise.  I was hoping there was a "secret" to communicating onboard in case we get separated.  It's not a huge deal - just checking to see if anyone has tried anything or if there were any updates I wasn't aware of.  

This is an option for anyone buying an internet package (probably only surf and stream).

On my last cruise I only bought 1 internet package but we were able to switch our phone carrier off, turn on wifi calling, then whichever that phone was connected to the wifi we could text and call for free (on the ship or back home). So in theory if you have the internet package for 2+, you can call and text each other for free all trip long. It's very important to disable the telecom provider as our phones defaults to use verizon service on the ship which would charge money for every text and call (lots of money).

So this works somewhat with 1 internet package but would work really well if each person had their own. 

• Like 1

Dect phones (portable phones) are available to rent for $25.00 a week on Radiance and Voyager class vessels.  Guests may reserve a set at the Guest Relations Desk, (price is subject to change). Guests are also allowed to have two-way radios, more commonly know as walkie-talkies, for onboard personal communications. Basic specifications are as follows: Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna.

Walkie talkies! We used them on the last cruise since we had a big family with multiple rooms, and it was awesome! It even worked when part of the group got off the boat and stayed near the port. I was able to chat with them and meet up off the boat when my daughter was done with her nap one  of the days.

11 minutes ago, mickey16 said:

Walkie talkies! We used them on the last cruise since we had a big family with multiple rooms, and it was awesome! It even worked when part of the group got off the boat and stayed near the port. I was able to chat with them and meet up off the boat when my daughter was done with her nap one  of the days.

I saw many families with walkie talkies - we also set up a designated meeting place (the library) if any of our kids got lost and we couldn't find them - they would go to the library and wait there and we would get them.  You can designate any spot - it is just the point of them knowing if they become separated from you they should to go this point. You will know they are lost because you can't find them.  It always worked for us. 

5 hours ago, oviedo45 said:

I saw many families with walkie talkies - we also set up a designated meeting place (the library) if any of our kids got lost and we couldn't find them - they would go to the library and wait there and we would get them.  You can designate any spot - it is just the point of them knowing if they become separated from you they should to go this point. You will know they are lost because you can't find them.  It always worked for us. 

Great idea - thank you!

5 hours ago, mickey16 said:

Sounds like that worked perfectly for you!  I'm sure my kids would love to take walkie talkies too!  They often talk to their neighborhood friends on them as well!  Thanks for the suggestion!  

20 hours ago, mickey16 said:

Do you realize that the use of those walkie talkies may be illegal on other countries?

Many countries restrict the use of any communication radios.  And just before that frequency band is free for you to use in the US, it may require a license in another country, or interfere with local military or police radio bands.

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

Do you realize that the use of those walkie talkies may be illegal on other countries?

Many countries restrict the use of any communication radios.  And just before that frequency band is free for you to use in the US, it may require a license in another country, or interfere with local military or police radio bands.

Maybe you should tell the cruise line. They sell them in there store on board. Never saw any information via the daily info that walkies are not allowed on shore. Have you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

OP asked for ways to communicate on board...per RCI, walkie talkies are acceptable, no warning not to use them in their cruise ports. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/walkie-talkie-onboard-policy

We had no issues with using them for the 5 minutes that I was on the boat and they were right in the secured port area to coordinate a meetup, nor would I think the countries would do anything about it  since they must have that going on all day. Obviously if I was notified that I was on an emergency channel I would change it. No need to be an alarmist.

In the US, the radios run on the Family Radio Service rules.  The same radios are legal in Canada and Mexico.  Anywhere else, maybe, maybe not.

From Wiki:

Many personal radio services similar to the FRS exist around the world. Because radio spectrum allocation varies around the world, a personal radio service device may not be usable outside its original area of purchase. FRS equipment may not be legally permitted in other countries because it uses frequencies allocated to services such as police or fire; however, many countries have equivalents to the FRS.

If YOU are using the radios in a location they are illegal, YOU will be the one in trouble, not the cruise line.

Up to YOU.

1 minute ago, mickey16 said:

OP asked for ways to communicate on board...per RCI, walkie talkies are acceptable, no warning not to use them in their cruise ports. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/walkie-talkie-onboard-policy

We had no issues with using them for the 5 minutes that I was on the boat and they were right in the secured port area to coordinate a meetup, nor would I think the countries would do anything about it  since they must have that going on all day. Obviously if I was notified that I was on an emergency channel I would change it. No need to be an alarmist.

They are acceptable to RCI, but once you are in the waters of another country, you need to be in compliance with their rules and laws.

And you assume they will just tell you. They could just arrest you.

But if you feel comfortable using them, by all means do.

So it would be a good idea YOU do not use them. Anyone else can do what they want. After all these years of using them and never any news about anyone ever in trouble over them. By the way Family Radio Service are not just family radio only unless designates as such.. You are to use the lower power for the family radio frequencies and only 5 watt for commercial use with a license on the commercial frequencies. They are GMRS/FRS Radios in one. So it is up to the user to select. Bet no one uses low power unless you want to save battery power. It indicates that an FCC license is required to use the GMRS power and frequencies in the owners manual. In addition the GMRS channels are not to be used for idle chitchat. GMRS channels are 1-7 and 15-22 Family Radio Service channels 8-14 only.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Yeah I'd forgot that they are Illegal in some countries. Like those ones that it's Illegal to wear any Camouflage type clothing, or use Drones, or my Favorite one...the Banning Selfie Sticks. 

So basically even on the ship in the UK or Europe. I do not think they will come on the ship to see who is using them. i would be very cautious if on shore and you see the police around. I would think that they are used by many cruiser and the countries are looking the other way for a few hours.