internet cafe?

I'm asking for my mom.  She doesn't want to bring a laptop on our cruise next week but was wondering if there's an internet cafe where she could use the ship's computers just for an hour or so.  We'll be on Grandeur.

Yes, that's it, right there on Deck 4.  She can be entertained by whatever is going on in the Centrum while she checks her email.

Since most people DO just use their own devices, it is rarely crowded. I think that there are 8 or 10 computers there.  There is even an IT guy there for a few hours every day.

Warning:  If she wants to use the computers there during a VERY popular Centrum activity, she will probably find that people have bogarted all of the chairs and taken them into the Centrum.

18 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Thanks, all!  My mom won't care about not having a USB port.  She just likes to check her email.

Any idea on pricing?  Can you pay by the hour or do you have to pay for a whole day?

Minimum of one day.  They may run specials later in the cruise.

20 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Thanks, all!  My mom won't care about not having a USB port.  She just likes to check her email.

Any idea on pricing?  Can you pay by the hour or do you have to pay for a whole day?

Minimum you can buy is one continuous 24-hour period for around $23.

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Minimum you can buy is one continuous 24-hour period for around $23.

That pricing model is ridiculous!  If you want to check your email each day you'd spend a fortune.  No wonder the internet café is empty.  Sounds like they are encouraging people to bring their device and purchase the wifi.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, that's it, right there on Deck 4.  She can be entertained by whatever is going on in the Centrum while she checks her email.

Since most people DO just use their own devices, it is rarely crowded. I think that there are 8 or 10 computers there.  There is even an IT guy there for a few hours every day.

Warning:  If she wants to use the computers there during a VERY popular Centrum activity, she will probably find that people have bogarted all of the chairs and taken them into the Centrum.

First was on then new Grandeur, 20+ yrs ago, Computers were up on Deck 7 where they have Centrum OV cabins now. Was a contracted Full Time IT guy, had to be so they could show people how to actually use a computer

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, paul1815 said:

That pricing model is ridiculous!  If you want to check your email each day you'd spend a fortune.  No wonder the internet café is empty.  Sounds like they are encouraging people to bring their device and purchase the wifi.

It's same price either way, but most do use own cell/tablet/laptop. Price isn't bad, back 15-20yrs ago was .75 a min and there was no week or day package so currently $23 a day isnt really high. Cafe is busy last 2 days cruise when everyone is checking in Airports or with home who didnt bring electronics... My first Cell Phone 25yrs ago was $29 a month, came with 15min free, after was .95 a minute. Unless plugged in the only held a 20-60min talk charge and if not talking had recharge them every 6-24hrs. We are spoiled now... 

Edited by ONECRUISER

If you literally only need one hour, maybe ask on your Roll Call if anyone will let you "buy" an hour of their access for $5-10.  

I get the four-device package and share it with three other people, so we all get a week's worth of access for $50 each.  

It's not any different than if you rent a floating mat at Labadee and let someone else borrow it while you go to lunch or take a nap or whatever.  

3 hours ago, paul1815 said:

The price is the same whether you use your own device or the ship's computers.  The charge is for the internet, regardless of how you access it.

my  daily slog through email ends up to be 97% spam.  is it really worth it to her to spend money just to delete everything?  

quite honestly she'd be better off bringing a laptop/ipad/ cell phone  into port with her and using any  free signal she can glom on to.  unless of course there are few port days.  

7 hours ago, paul1815 said:

It is expensive.  They have tailored the internet charges to those who want to stay connected continuously, and that's not good for the occasional email checker.

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

my  daily slog through email ends up to be 97% spam.  is it really worth it to her to spend money just to delete everything?  

quite honestly she'd be better off bringing a laptop/ipad/ cell phone  into port with her and using any  free signal she can glom on to.  unless of course there are few port days.  

Exactly, my spam mail can wait till I get home!  I have no problem being unplugged for a week and just enjoying my vacation.  But my mom likes to login now and again.  Bermuda is our only port and we'll be there for two half-days so she could look for free WiFi in port, but I seriously can't see her lugging her laptop around the Dockyards.  I think she'll probably just buy a day or two at the internet cafe and skip the laptop.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:33 AM, Host Clarea said:

It is expensive.  They have tailored the internet charges to those who want to stay connected continuously, and that's not good for the occasional email checker.

Yeah, I'm old school I guess with internet.  Just really want to check email once a day.  Oh well...sounds like I'll need to buy some sort of package.  😐

1 minute ago, paul1815 said:

Yeah, I'm old school I guess with internet.  Just really want to check email once a day.  Oh well...sounds like I'll need to buy some sort of package.  😐

We can usually find a restaurant or bar in the ports that have free wifi, so if you can just skip sea days that could work

Back from our cruise.  My mom did not end up using the internet cafe.  She did stop by 3 or 4 times to ask questions but there was NEVER anyone working there.  In the Cruise Compass on the last full day, there was a note that said you could purchase a 60 minute continuous package for $9.99 to check in for your flight or print boarding passes.  By then, my mom didn't want to bother with it.

41 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Back from our cruise.  My mom did not end up using the internet cafe.  She did stop by 3 or 4 times to ask questions but there was NEVER anyone working there.  In the Cruise Compass on the last full day, there was a note that said you could purchase a 60 minute continuous package for $9.99 to check in for your flight or print boarding passes.  By then, my mom didn't want to bother with it.

Yes, as said above there is not someone at Cafe all time as years ago when they'd Contract a Full Time IT guy. At most last few yrs might be someone there couple hrs a day. Got that way as most use own computers now. Agree, have seen a last day special on all my Cruises last few yrs.