Onboard Cash Account

We are taking DDs friend with us on Oasis tomorrow and have set her account to cash. She is 17 so not a child  and has her own money for any extras she wants to buy onboard. Drinks package is already paid for so anything else is up to her.

Is that literally cash that you hand over at the beginning of the cruise to hold on account or is it a final cash bill you pay at the end?

Is a bank/credit card still required at check in?

And finally if cash - what currency would that be in?  Pounds, Dollars or Euros?

Thank you in advance.

I think you can add cash to an account. See this thread - 

I believe the base currency depends on where the cruise starts but I would think they could take all regardless.

If the 17-year-old is on your reservation, would it be easier to just have her give you the cash? Maybe not, if you think she'd go and buy some expensive jewelry! 🙂

A cash account means that there is no credit or debit card linked to your account.  

With a cash account you are allowed to charge up to $500 on a 7 day cruise before being asked to pay down the balance.  You may pay the balance with cash or by using a credit or debit card.

You may pay in any currency however it will be converted to US $ as Royals ships conduct business in US$ regardless of where they sail from. 

Yes I could put her on our account and settle later but I really want to separate her spending from us if possible. Her dad suggested that too but thing is her parents are wealthy and just don't get that my credit card can't stretch to too many designer handbags  😐

He wants to give us cash. I honesty think he doesn't have a credit card. I had a bad enough time explaining she needs insurance to cover being helicoptered off the ship - he shrugged and said he would just pay on the day if needed.

1 minute ago, livylotte said:

Yes I could put her on our account and settle later but I really want to separate her spending from us if possible. Her dad suggested that too but thing is her parents are wealthy and just don't get that my credit card can't stretch to too many designer handbags  😐

He wants to give us cash. I honesty think he doesn't have a credit card. I had a bad enough time explaining she needs insurance to cover being helicoptered off the ship - he shrugged and said he would just pay on the day if needed.

Wow, you are brave.  There is no way I would be bringing along a 17yo friend unless they had insurance.  

40 minutes ago, livylotte said:

She does have insurance, I insisted and he relented in the end 😁

It's just the cash account I need to sort out now. 

As stated she will have full charging pro leagues with no CC guarantee. You (or her) will just have to go to GS every $500 and settle up. Also keep in mind the final night can have some long lines to contend with. 

Can they set up cash account for the 17 year old, deposit the cash towards that account, and then set a spending limit on her Seapass?  This way if/when the money has been depleted it will be easier to keep track of anything extra the OP has to lay out

14 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Can they set up cash account for the 17 year old, deposit the cash towards that account, and then set a spending limit on her Seapass?  This way if/when the money has been depleted it will be easier to keep track of anything extra the OP has to lay out

I don’t believe this is an option. We travel with friends of our kids often, and we have gotten to the point where we tell the parents a credit card of some type is mandatory. Makes my life easier and one less thing to worry about. 

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

What about getting her a prepaid visa with cash dad wants to give her. Does anyone know how that would work.

I don't think an onboard account can be secured with the prepaid credit card.  However, a cash type onboard account can be paid off with a prepaid credit card.

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

What about getting her a prepaid visa with cash dad wants to give her. Does anyone know how that would work.

Good thought.  If the ship takes Amex I recommend getting her a Serve prepaid card.  It takes a few times to master using it but the parents can transfer money from their bank using a debit card (no fee) or credit card (CC transfer fee) and it's instantaneous.  I was trying to think of an option for my daughter (15 years old at the time) to have money when going to the mall or wherever without me having to worry about how to get cash to her.  Prepaid cards usually have a fee when purchasing while Amex Serve is $1 a month and the fee is usually waived if it's being used.  We were also able to utilize it on her high school trip to Europe, just in case she ran out of cash.  I've also set one up for my 13 year old and works great.  She just took an 8th grade trip a few days ago and we didn't have to worry about giving too much money, her losing any, or spending an excessive of amount.

Just realized OP is leaving tomorrow so getting the Serve card isn't an option this time around but at least you have the info.

8 hours ago, livylotte said:

We are taking DDs friend with us on Oasis tomorrow and have set her account to cash. She is 17 so not a child  and has her own money for any extras she wants to buy onboard. Drinks package is already paid for so anything else is up to her.

Is that literally cash that you hand over at the beginning of the cruise to hold on account or is it a final cash bill you pay at the end?

Is a bank/credit card still required at check in?

And finally if cash - what currency would that be in?  Pounds, Dollars or Euros?

Thank you in advance.

So it is now "tomorrow" and I don't know if you will be checking Cruise Critic and this thread, but:

On the Oasis, you can check SeaPass accounts on the stateroom TV.  I suggest that you find out from the friend how much cash she has brought, then check her account periodically.  (if they are in a separate cabin, just tell them that they must let you do this on their TV).  Just make sure that she is not exceeding what she has brought, or you are going to end up covering her.

Bon Voyage!  (and good luck  😄 )

I believe once onboard, at the pursers desk, she can give them cash towards her onboard account

Not at check in. She would have to go to the pursers desk.

We have done this many times but on another line 🚢

40 minutes ago, janetz said:

I believe once onboard, at the pursers desk, she can give them cash towards her onboard account

Not at check in. She would have to go to the pursers desk.

We have done this many times but on another line 🚢

But it is not a requirement.  Until the account approaches $500, she will not have to do anything.  (until the end of the cruise when it must be paid in full)

15 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

But it is not a requirement.  Until the account approaches $500, she will not have to do anything.  (until the end of the cruise when it must be paid in full)

For normal situations not a requirement, but she is trying to figure out a way to circumvent any extra charges outside of the amount the 17 year old has enough money to cover; not so much of how to use a cash account.  At the end of the cruise would have been too late. 

Edited by Mr. Candyman

Just now, Mr. Candyman said:

For normal situations yes, but he is trying to figure out a way to circumvent any extra charges outside of the amount the 17 year old has enough money to cover; not so much of how to use a cash account.  At the end of the cruise would have been too late. 

With a cash account they are limited to $500 in spending before they are cut off.  We don’t know how much their friend is able to spend. 

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

So it is now "tomorrow" and I don't know if you will be checking Cruise Critic and this thread, but:

On the Oasis, you can check SeaPass accounts on the stateroom TV.  I suggest that you find out from the friend how much cash she has brought, then check her account periodically.  (if they are in a separate cabin, just tell them that they must let you do this on their TV).  Just make sure that she is not exceeding what she has brought, or you are going to end up covering her.

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

With a cash account they are limited to $500 in spending before they are cut off.  We don’t know how much their friend is able to spend. 

which is the reason that I said what I said above.

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

True...i was thinking OP thought she might rack up $1000 in Promenade shopping.  I've had to make online payments mid cruise, while at a port if call, to cover charges on my account; so I get her stress level.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:
2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

r account periodically.  (if they are in a separate cabin, just tell them that they must let you do this on their TV).  Jus

We're still here Merion_Mom

We are in the UK and tomorrow is Sunday which hasn't happened yet.  It's 8pm here.  

We have a taxi coming to take us to the airport at 4am 😲 so I'm off to bed in a minute.  Sailing from Barcelona so hopefully we will be onboard as soon as they let us on.

DD's friend is staying with us tonight and her dad has given us £200 for extra onboard spending so we've agreed to check the tv in the girls  cabin to keep an eye on it.  She isn't going to buy anything big onboard and won't be buying anything with a big price tag.

Phew!