Purchasing excursions before cruise

steve4031

4 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Is it possible to book excursions ahead of the cruise?  Some of these excursions in Alaska are expensive.  Paying ahead of time would spread the cost out.   

Yes, it is. How far away is your cruise? If it's a long way off, the excursions won't be available yet. When excursions become available varies, so  keep checking your voyage personalizer. If you're on the roll call for your cruise, somebody on the roll call might post a heads-up when the tours become available, but I don't think HAL sends out a notice to let you know.

It's a different part of the HAL website.  If you haven't already done so, set up your account on the HAL website.  Then you can go into My Account, and My Bookings.  Click on the link for your Alaska cruise and then you can research and purchase shorex and other items for your cruise.  Keep in mind that not all shorex may be listed as it is still quite a while til your cruise.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

As soon as excursions do show up, we book them as some will sell out before the ships sails.

Alaska is expensive.

I agree with KK!

Do book ahead of time! We waited when we did our very first cruise on The Nieuw Amsterdam long ago and what we wanted to book were all gone☹️ We learned the hard way then.

Denise😊

Thank you. I did set that account up.  I’ll go back and look for excursions. It’s to early right now but I can start researching for each port.  My must do list includes seeing Bears and Riding the Train in Skagway.  Sled dogs are kind of cool too.  

42 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

Does this one sell out fast?? 😉

ALanding.PNG

Yes according to one of my roll call members.  They reported it was sold out on their last cruise so they are pre-booking it 🙂 

19 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Not sure that you'll be offered an Antarctic landing on an Alaska cruise...

LOL - you’re right, but I Like Vacation does have a South America/Antarctica cruise booked I believe 😉 

11 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Any excursion that flies has a limited number of seats and should be booked ASAP.

I was looking at those.  I’ve eaten too much pizza and pancakes and am 263.  The small print said people weighing more than 250 could get charged extra. I understand fuel and aircraft balancing issues apply because of smaller aircraft.  I am not sure I want to experience an extra expense that I hadn’t planned for.  

Some excursions, flying or not, can have low limits. We're just neck from Alaska on Maasdam, and one excursion (to a kelp and oyster farm) could take a maximum of only 14.

On the January Antarctica voyage, we booked the Galapagos-only tour the day it appeared several months ago, and there are only three or four spaces left now...at a price of $5000.

The Pan Pacific is a wonderful hotel, right above the cruise terminal.  If you want to stay there, do check out booking it on your own instead of through HAL. HAL's price tends to be per person, which makes it very expensive.  You can probably pay C$400/room booking directly, on which you Americans get a 30+% discount due to exchange rates.

A taxi from the airport to any hotel in the same vicinity would cost about C$35 so the included transfers with HAL's package isn't worth the extra cost.

if you'd prefer something less expensive, there are many hotels within walking distance to the cruise terminal.  The Blue Horizon is often recommended on the Canadian forum.  I've never stayed there so can't give any recommendation myself.  I can recommend the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont Waterfront which is right across the street from the cruise terminal but both can be quite pricy.