New to RCL so I have some questions

This will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean.  We are sailing on the Anthem on August 29.   My first question is specific to the ship.  Is there a 'game room' or 'card room'?  We are traveling with family and like to play a particular card game.  We have been on some cruise ships that have a room for card or board games.  Other ships we just have to find a spot to play.  We much prefer it when there is a game room.

My second question is regarding the Refreshment Package.  The description says premium coffee and teas.  Is that the same as specialty coffees?  I know it wouldn't include Starbucks but if we wanted an iced coffee or a cappuccino would that be included?

Thanks.

Just now, Sizzlechest said:

That's good to hear. For some reason I thought Starbucks wasn't included.

It's confusing, but licensed Starbucks venues (like those on Oasis class ships) are not covered by the beverage packages.  However, on ships without a licensed Starbucks venue, the various ship venues might use Starbucks beans for their coffees, and those would be included.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

might use Starbucks beans for their coffees, and those would be included. 

They stopped that some years ago... they used Illy and others in between now they are not saying anymore... 🙄

Probably buy them of a truck 🚚 now! 😂

2 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They stopped that some years ago... they used Illy and others in between now they are not saying anymore... 🙄

Probably buy them of a truck 🚚 now! 😂

I still see some reports of people seeing Starbucks signs at Cafe Promenade.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I still see some reports of people seeing Starbucks signs at Cafe Promenade.

Correct but the sign is part of the decor - nowhere does it say they actually use the beans!

When they used Illy they still had the Seattle's Best and Starbucks signs up in the decor...

They WANT people to think it is Starbucks... but nowhere do they advertise it.... just different signs in the background... 🙄 😱

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Correct but the sign is part of the decor - nowhere does it say they actually use the beans!

When they used Illy they still had the Seattle's Best and Starbucks signs up in the decor...

They WANT people to think it is Starbucks... but nowhere do they advertise it.... just different signs in the background... 🙄 😱

Well, can't say that I'm surprised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Actually I would prefer that they NOT use Starbucks beans. 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mizcruz said:

This will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean.  We are sailing on the Anthem on August 29.   My first question is specific to the ship.  Is there a 'game room' or 'card room'?  We are traveling with family and like to play a particular card game.  We have been on some cruise ships that have a room for card or board games.  Other ships we just have to find a spot to play.  We much prefer it when there is a game room.

My second question is regarding the Refreshment Package.  The description says premium coffee and teas.  Is that the same as specialty coffees?  I know it wouldn't include Starbucks but if we wanted an iced coffee or a cappuccino would that be included?

Thanks.

While there is an area on Deck 6 at the back of Two70, it is often commandeered by teens.  I see many people playing games and cards at the tables outside Café Two70 on Deck 5 at the end of the Via, opposite Next Cruise DURING NON- MEAL times.

Also on Deck 5:  I see people playing in the Bionic Bar area.  And when there is no activity going on, the Schooner Bar is a good place for cards.  

If there is nothing going on in the Conference Rooms on Deck 13, all the way aft, sometimes you can use that area.  Ask for the Group Coordinator at Guest Services.

Lucky for you, there is no Starbucks on the Anthem of the Seas, so you can use that refreshment package for coffee anywhere that coffee is served!  The specialty place on Anthem is called La Patisserie, on Deck 4, on the Royal Esplanade.  There are some tables at the back, too.  😉  

Just checked the deck plans for Anthem and there is no dedicated "Card Room." I remember when we went on our Anthem cruise when the ship first came out that there was a card room on deck 4 near the pub. Looks like they replaced it with stores.

Thanks for the replies.  I saw the Work room on the Anthem deck plan and wondered what that was.  We will scout out these suggestions once we board.  I have purchased the refreshment package for $20/day as it seems like just a couple of specialty coffees would put us close to $20/day.   

14 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Anthem also has a specialty coffee bar in windjammer 

Also another one in the Café@Two70

image.thumb.png.ce8685e7908ae6fc3dea397a70afeefe.png

Better Image posted by MM a while back

image.thumb.png.88968faa833e213973023fe5bc1313fe.png

dp

Edited by dpostman

As for Game/Card room, the sort of dedicated spot on Anthem is as mentioned in a secluded spot off of Two70 just up the stairs (Aft on Deck 6, Port Side) also doubles as a Library.

I would recommend you checkout the 2nd floor of the music Hall.  If you head all the way to the windows, next to the pool tables, during the day, you should be able to easily find tables with a view to play cards.  And if your games get a little rowdy, you'll bother no one and you get a great view.  In the evenings, well it will get busy with the cover bands or other acts going on.

dp