South Australian Cruise visiting Hahndorf

Has anyone done the cruise from Fremantle to Sydney or reverse and visited the town of Hahndorf on an excursion?

The reason for asking is that both wife and I will be doing this cruise come March next year and was wondering on the ship tour how long do they give you to explore Hahndorf?

The rest of the tour sounds OK but time in Hahndorf is important to us . . . The tour name is "Hanhdorf with Scenic Views".

Thanks for any info and/or help.

John, we have done Hahndorf

2 hours ago, Sailaway John said:

Has anyone done the cruise from Fremantle to Sydney or reverse and visited the town of Hahndorf on an excursion?

The reason for asking is that both wife and I will be doing this cruise come March next year and was wondering on the ship tour how long do they give you to explore Hahndorf?

The rest of the tour sounds OK but time in Hahndorf is important to us . . . The tour name is "Hanhdorf with Scenic Views".

John, we have done Hahndorf before on a driving holiday to Adelaide, some 10 years ago.  Well worth a visit and we have booked Hahndorf as a shorex on Majestic Princess next February.  To answer your question we get a couple of hours free time in the town.  Very touristy.   If on Princess the shorex site gives you an overview, how long in Hahndorf etc.

Edited by NSWP

We have been to Hahndorf a few times travelling independently by road. A couple of hours would be plenty of time to walk down the main street, have a look at the old buildings and have something to eat and drink, probably at the hotel. I agree with Les, that it's very touristy, but the history is interesting.

Wife and I did that one early last year off Celebrity Solstice. It was a pleasant scenic drive to the town. We had plenty of time to look around, check out a couple of galleries, do some geocaching and have a nice meal the usual tourist stuff. As usual it was overpriced.

12 hours ago, Sailaway John said:

I would recommend you consider hiring a car for the day to do this area and probably give you time to see a few other attractions around Adelaide as well.  As Aussies you know the road rules etc so easy peasy.  Hans Heysens (spelling?) gallery in Hahndorf is well worth a visit but a bit out of town so transport is necessary if you want to spend an hour there.

When have been to Handorf twice when cruising. The first time we hired a car. We caught the train from Outer Harbour and picked the car up in the city. The city car hire offices close at 5pm so they let us return the car to the airport as that cruise was an overnighter in Adelaide. We were able to go the National Motor Museum in Birdswood and Maggie Beers farm as well as Handorf. The second time we did a ships tour which was very rushed and we were given very limited time in Handorf.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, Sailaway John said:

was wondering on the ship tour how long do they give you to explore Hahndorf?

Hi John,

We did this tour with Princess in 2015. We had plenty of time in Handorf. At least a couple of hours.

We walked the main street twice, visted the art gallery, browsed the shops, walked up to St. Paul's church and had a bite to eat in a lovely cafe to fill in the time.

On the drive up the hill the bus driver stopped the bus for us to see a koala up a tree ( I don't get to see them in the wild where I live) which was a treat for us.

After Handorf we had lunch at a restuarant that over looked Adelaide and had an extra ten minutes here to look at the view and use the facilities.

We both enjoyed the day.

If you are concerned about the amount of time in Handorf look at the excursion on the Princess site (I assume you are refering to your cruise on the Sun Princess next year) and on the right side you can click on the Handorf part and it will tell you how much time at the site and what facilities are there. I find this very handy when selecting excursions.

DSC07525.JPG

DSC07481.JPG

DSC07502.JPG

DSC07509.JPG

DSC07529.JPG

DSC07535.JPG

DSC07538.JPG

DSC07539.JPG

On 6/26/2019 at 8:48 AM, Sailaway John said:

Like Lyndarra, we did Hahndorf as a shore excursion last year. We were on a cruise on the Celebrity Solstice from Auckland to Fremantle - a fantastic cruise, if that's the one you're doing. Yes, it is a very pretty place, but it feels like a film set, really quite artificial. I'm glad we went, but, having lived in Germany for a few years, it just came across as a super-themed picture-book idea of what a German town should look like. It's pretty, it's tourism-central, and, as mentioned, rather expensive. I imagine the original settlers would have a real laugh if they could come back and see the place. If you get a chance, though, while you're there try to visit Beerenberg's premises (fabulous jams and pickles etc): https://www.beerenberg.com.au/59/Farm-shop

A nice little bonus on our excursion was stopping at Mount Lofty on the way back to the ship. Great views on a clear day.

Edited by Beejay4016

On 6/26/2019 at 8:48 AM, Sailaway John said:

Rather than take the ship's excursion, I booked a tour with an excellent local tour company and filled it through our Roll Call.  We could also modify the suggested tour to have more time at one place, etc.  We did the Lookout at Mount Lofty, Harndorff, visited two wineries and had a bonus stop at the whispering dam wall.  Back to the ship with time to spare.  Fabulous day out for our mixed international and Australian cruisers. I think I used www.seeadelaide.com.au.  The company was highly rated on trip advisor.

• Like 1