Delta Premium Select

AF-1

Yes, I flew Premium Select twice from Detroit to Amsterdam.  Very nice seats, selected meals from a menu, lots of amenities ( pillow, headphones, blanket, amenity kit) large tv screen. Seat and foot rest controls are a little difficult to get to.

I also flew in a comfort+ seat to Europe.  Comfort Plus is much better than Economy, but I’m not sure that the Premium Select is worth a thousand dollars more than Comfort Plus. 

On my flights it was one or the other. They didn’t offer both premium select and comfort plus on the same plane.

Bottom line, I would take whichever upgraded option is offered, but I wouldn’t book a flight just to get Premium Select.  

One more thing...On my first trip in PS last April, the domestic flight part of the trip was in first class, on the second exact route last July, my domestic seat was in comfort +.    Do a pretend booking to find out if that’s what will happen on your trip.

Commenting on Comfort Plus on Delta-last month we flew CDG to SLC in the row right behind Comfort and other than boarding in the the group ahead if us, I did not see any difference. The seats were the same and everyone in Comfort and Main received the same amenities. Same menu, beverage choices, blanket, pillow, earbuds and so on. Advantage is that Comfort is in in front  of main cabin so they will most likely get their first choice from the 3 entrees offered. We paid less than $50 for our premium main cabin seat upgrade and it was well worth that cost. It was the same comparison on our outbound flight-MSP to AMS. In both instances, our seats were in the section that was separated from the rest of main by the restrooms. Perhaps all of this can vary depending on aircraft configuration and  it could  be difficult to know for sure if Comfort Plus is worth the extra money. 

Our son has flown in Premium Select from Asia to US and said that while it was much nicer than Comfort or Main, it wasn’t Delta One by any means. 

purduemom1,  thank you for your feedback.  Delta has not upgraded all of its international aircraft to Premium Select. I would say less than a third of the aircraft has premium select; so most will have comfort plus.  I have flown business class with many airlines and it is nice to be able to lie flat and relax. Again,  thanks for the feedback.  Have a great day

Hopefully the DL Premium Select you're flying on will have the leg rests and not just the foot rests...a big difference...look for the wording "new interior". We've recently flew DL One...Nice !!!! And also a few months ago flew the AA Premium Select (or whatever they called it) and only the first row (bulkhead) we were sitting in had the full leg rests...to Shanghai and back made a big difference.

13 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

The seats were the same and everyone in Comfort and Main received the same amenities. Same menu, beverage choices, blanket, pillow, earbuds and so on. Advantage is that Comfort is in in front  of main cabin so they will most likely get their first choice from the 3 entrees offered.

Our son has flown in Premium Select from Asia to US and said that while it was much nicer than Comfort or Main, it wasn’t Delta One by any means. 

Additionally, Comfort+ has a few inches more legroom than main cabin, and a tiny bit more recline.

And no, PS isn't Delta One, nor is it meant to be.  It is, however, a pretty significant step up from main cabin or Comfort+.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ashland said:

Hopefully the DL Premium Select you're flying on will have the leg rests and not just the foot rests...a big difference...look for the wording "new interior". We've recently flew DL One...Nice !!!! And also a few months ago flew the AA Premium Select (or whatever they called it) and only the first row (bulkhead) we were sitting in had the full leg rests...to Shanghai and back made a big difference.

I was looking at American premium select; so only the front rows have leg rests: hmmm.  I did not know that.  Thank you for the feedback

Hello everyone.  The flights I am looking at are CVG-ZRH,  Delta 767-400 (new interior) and AMS-CVG, Delta 350-900(Flagship/New Interior).  So we shall see. Premium Select both way; but I may use points to upgrade on flight home.  

Edited by AF-1

22 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Hello everyone.  The flights I am looking at are CVG-ZRH,  Delta 767-400 (new interior) and AMS-CVG, Delta 350-900(Flagship/New Interior).  So we shall see. Premium Select both way; but I may use points to upgrade on flight home.  

Be sure to remember that DL has changed how one can use points to upgrade - now it ties the upgrade points price to the cash upgrade price.  No longer is it a flat number as in years past.  Also, the cost in points makes the value of a SkyPeso just a bit more than a penny.  Not necessarily a great redemption value, but it might be a way to get rid of orphan SkyPesos rather than holding them to use for their overly costly "dynamic pricing" awards.

Also, you might want to consider reversing your upgrade choices.  The biggest advantage of business class is the bed, allowing for a good night's sleep.  Upgrading to business for a daytime flight would give you the lie-flat bed but you'd get less use of it for sleeping.  Something to consider, but the choice is yours.

Flyer Talker,  thanks for your advice.  You are correct with lie flat bed for the overnight flight.  Also,  I have Delta AMEX card which allows me to pay with miles and cash.  So I can get a pretty good deal with decent price.  

I tried to upgrade from economy to comfort + for a Delta flight from Boston to Edinburgh recently.  They wanted $370 extra round trip, which is nuts.  I’ve got over 100,000 SkyMiles because of my Amex Delta card...and could not use them because of my fare bucket ( or some such thing.). 

20 minutes ago, Barrheadlass said:

I tried to upgrade from economy to comfort + for a Delta flight from Boston to Edinburgh recently.  They wanted $370 extra round trip, which is nuts.  I’ve got over 100,000 SkyMiles because of my Amex Delta card...and could not use them because of my fare bucket ( or some such thing.). 

Completely possible.  Upgrades are never "always available", either through points or cash.  And more and more, airlines are restricting what kinds of upgrades are available for what fare bucket.  Not to even go into the "one category" limit which can really limit you.  If on a four "class" configuration (Coach, Plus, Premium Economy & Business), you would need to be buying a PE ticket in order to do that one category upgrade into business.  Coach to biz would be three categories and Plus to biz would still be two.

Caveat Emptor.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, AF-1 said:

Also,  I have Delta AMEX card which allows me to pay with miles and cash. 

You may already know this, but if not or for others....

Delta has 2 different ways that allow you to use a combination of miles and money to pay for a ticket.

1.  "Pay with Miles" or PWM.  This is the one you're referencing, as it's only available to those with a Delta-branded Amex.  It's a revenue ticket, that allows you to pay a lesser amount of money by using some miles to offset the dollar price. 

2.  "Miles + Cash."  This is actually an award ticket that allows you to use a lesser amount of miles by using some money to offset the miles price. 

Either can be beneficial depending on one's individual circumstances, and some may view them as being essentially the same.  The big difference is in one being a revenue ticket and one being an award ticket.  The former allows you to EARN miles; the latter does not.  For some people that is an important distinction.

29 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

Are either of these methods available for a one way international flight?

Yes, both of the methods are available for a one way international flight.  For example in the "Miles + Cash" option shown by @waterbug123 to get started you'd go to the Delta booking site, select "One Way" and click the "Miles" toggle button where it says "Show Price In"...

Remember...these cash and miles type deals typically give you some lousy redemption value for those miles.  In many cases, you would have been better to just put your spend on a cashback card and use the cash for the cost of the ticket.

Crunch the actual numbers on the earning and redemption on your various cards.  It may well surprise you.

• 3 years later...

Covid19 has seriously downgraded premium select's soft product.

pictures are of meal service from AMS to DTW.

top two: pre covid (to on is the pre landing meal the second is the main meal).

bottom photo: is same flight 11 months ago. same meal as coach.

service was also reduced.

the hard product is basically the same as domestic first class.

IMAG0720.jpg

IMAG0719.jpg

198 - same green curry everytime.jpg

Edited by MSUjohn