Balcony Dividers

Contessa30

This answer from another thread (believe it to be from chengkp75):

Official company policy is that dividers cannot be opened for the passengers, even with connecting cabins. Previously, it was up to the Captain to decide which, and how many, dividers he/she would allow to be opened at a time, but after having so many complaints about some guests having theirs open and others not allowed, it was decided to make a fleet wide policy of no opening. Having said that, many stewards will flaunt this in the hope of better tips. The ability to open the dividers was mandated by law after the Star Princess fire, where the fire teams could not go from one balcony to the next to fight the fire. The ability to open is for firefighting and maintenance only.

Cabin location makes no difference - - -

The balcony dividers while they can't be opened - the way around this is to book cabins with adjoined interior doors.

The problem with some balcony dividers (IF OPENED) is that the divider interferes with the passage into one or the

other cabins blocking the access. Also a major problem with older ships the dividers made of heavy weight material

that can cause injury when the divider is swinging unsecured.

Most Forward and Aft balconies have solid walls on some ships - the GETAWAY I don't have specific info.

Don't leave home without the MacGuyver tool to open the balcony -DON'T get caught opening the divider !  LOL !  

B/S,
By your own, admission, you are going on your first NCL cruise.

I'm sure that the ones in your roll call are so happy to see what kind your character you have since anything here is paraphrased or cut an paste.

7 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Can they be, YES.  Are you allowed to open them, NO.  Will they open them if you ask, MAYBE.

7 hours ago, 2bthere said:

B/S,

I'm sure that the ones in your roll call are so happy to see what kind your character you have since anything here is paraphrased or cut an paste.

If you are referring to Birdie and Sue's post, I can tell you that everything they said in this post is correct.  So, don't go casting aspersions without checking facts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2bthere said:

B/S,

Huh?

I had the same question earlier.  We like being able to talk to our travel companions when we are all out on the balcony.  The only time we have not been able to have dividers open on Carnival was when the divider would have opened across a door. They actually have a site that shows which cabins can have the dividers open for guests.  So, we go to that site prior to selecting our cabins.  On Oasis of the Seas, I honestly can't remember if we were able to have our balcony divider opened.  On Regal Princess, our divider was opened.  There was no danger of a swinging door on any of the ships, as there is a latch to hold them back.  

1 hour ago, dmdiver said:

I had the same question earlier.  We like being able to talk to our travel companions when we are all out on the balcony.  The only time we have not been able to have dividers open on Carnival was when the divider would have opened across a door. They actually have a site that shows which cabins can have the dividers open for guests.  So, we go to that site prior to selecting our cabins.  On Oasis of the Seas, I honestly can't remember if we were able to have our balcony divider opened.  On Regal Princess, our divider was opened.  There was no danger of a swinging door on any of the ships, as there is a latch to hold them back.  

Different companies, different acceptance of risk levels.

12 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Can they be, YES.  Are you allowed to open them, NO.  Will they open them if you ask, MAYBE.

Will they open them if you ask - Not likely.

Edited by zqvol

22 hours ago, zqvol said:

Will they open them if you ask - Not likely.

MAYBE it has changed in the last 3 years again, however in 2016 on the Escape we asked an officer (Hotel director) if I remember. By the time we got back from Vibe for the day the divider was opened.

I don't think any cruise line is consistent on  divider door "policy".

Edited by beerman2