Journeys Cruise

brandi0727

I was looking to get feedback regarding the Carnival Journeys cruises.  Is the consensus that most passengers are more mature with fewer young children aboard these cruises? I read more diamond and platinum members choose these cruises more than families due to the added length. Being that I'll be almost 44 by the time we cruise next year, I would be fine with whatever the cruise entails. But bringing a 17 and an 18 year old, just wondering how it would be for them? From your experience did you encounter a vast mix of people or was it mostly more mature adults? We're booked so we aren't changing anything, but I just wanted to get a feel of what to expect.  We are sailing in June so maybe there will be some older teens during that time?? Did you like the Journeys cruise more than a regular cruise? Please let me know what your experiences were, whether good or bad. Thanks!:)

My Journeys cruise was 14 nights.  Longer cruises attract the older crowd because younger folks can't take that much vacation.  I don't recall there being many kids onboard, but that may be because it was in Jan or Feb.  I did notice however, that those who had hair and it was not gray or white, were likely coloring it.  Lots of platinums and diamonds on those cruises.  Long time cruisers are always looking for longer cruises and odd itineraries, which is what Journeys cruses often are.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was on  Journey cruise last month on the Sunrise. They do attract an older crowd due to the length, but many schools are already out so there was a fair amount of younger people. I would not worry about it. You will have two lobster nights and a throwback sea day, and a real midnight buffet.

• Thanks 1

We loved our Journeys cruise but it was mostly older people. We are eagerly awaiting our next one, and it is to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.  On our roll call, there are others celebrating 50 or more years os marriage.

Yours will likely be an older crowd but there is so much to do. And your kids will have each other and likely will meet a few others on the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Been on three Journeys cruise and the crowds do seem to be older. Did not pay that much attention to the hair. The number of Plat and Diamond are well represented. On one we were told there were 2600, they had to separate the VIP party into two parts. 

• Thanks 1

My Journeys cruises were B2B, first a 10 day Miami to San Juan eastern, then an 11 day San Juan southern to Miami on the Glory the end of January into Feb.

I hardly noticed the "journey" activities during the cruise, didn't impact the sailing one way or another for me.  I totally enjoyed the round trip feel of doing 2 different itineraries over 3 weeks but leaving and returning from the same port, Miami.  

There were indeed more older adults on each leg.  I wouldn't hesitate to do another longer cruise, provided it was on a Dream or Vista class ship.  I couldn't bear to do ANY cruise of any length on Carnivals oldest ships.

JMO, YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

My Journeys cruise was 14 nights.  Longer cruises attract the older crowd because younger folks can't take that much vacation.  I don't recall there being many kids onboard, but that may be because it was in Jan or Feb.  I did notice however, that those who had hair and it was not gray or white, were likely coloring it.  Lots of platinums and diamonds on those cruises.  Long time cruisers are always looking for longer cruises and odd itineraries, which is what Journeys cruses often are.  EM

Thank you!:) 

8 hours ago, mets123 said:

I was on  Journey cruise last month on the Sunrise. They do attract an older crowd due to the length, but many schools are already out so there was a fair amount of younger people. I would not worry about it. You will have two lobster nights and a throwback sea day, and a real midnight buffet.

Thank you!:)

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

We loved our Journeys cruise but it was mostly older people. We are eagerly awaiting our next one, and it is to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.  On our roll call, there are others celebrating 50 or more years os marriage.

Yours will likely be an older crowd but there is so much to do. And your kids will have each other and likely will meet a few others on the cruise. 

Thank you! Congratulations on 40 years and have a wonderful time!:)

1 hour ago, jmcathome said:

Been on three Journeys cruise and the crowds do seem to be older. Did not pay that much attention to the hair. The number of Plat and Diamond are well represented. On one we were told there were 2600, they had to separate the VIP party into two parts. 

Wow, that is a lot of VIP's on one ship. Thank you!:) 

46 minutes ago, evandbob said:

My Journeys cruises were B2B, first a 10 day Miami to San Juan eastern, then an 11 day San Juan southern to Miami on the Glory the end of January into Feb.

I hardly noticed the "journey" activities during the cruise, didn't impact the sailing one way or another for me.  I totally enjoyed the round trip feel of doing 2 different itineraries over 3 weeks but leaving and returning from the same port, Miami.  

There were indeed more older adults on each leg.  I wouldn't hesitate to do another longer cruise, provided it was on a Dream or Vista class ship.  I couldn't bear to do ANY cruise of any length on Carnivals oldest ships.

JMO, YMMV.

This is exactly the type of thing I would like.  Everytime a book a cruise it gets longer and longer.  First cruise was 5 days, then 7 day cruises, now I have an 8 day and a 9 day booked.  I would love to do a B2B for at least two weeks of total cruising.  

While I agree with you on the oldest ships, I could do Glory or Conquest and be perfectly content.  Smaller and older than that and I wouldn't care for it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, evandbob said:

JMO, YMMV.

We have experienced Royal Caribbean's Anthem and Oasis ships which seemed like they had more kids than adults..Lol. We did enjoy the Carnival Magic, but that was in 2014 so the kids were younger then and in Camp Carnival. That was our last Carnival cruise if I remember correctly. I booked the Journeys cruise as they wanted to see Bermuda and it was out of NYC where we are vacationing after we get off the cruise. So not much choice on which ship this go-around. I like big and new ships myself and was really hoping the refurbishment on the Sunrise would be positive. I know for sure they'll enjoy the islands as we have a lot planned. I was hoping for a few more kids their age to hang out with but if not,  they'll hang out with us as we are always fun..Lol.

Thank you for the reply!:)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I'm 33 and cannot wait until I can finally do a Journeys cruise.

18 year old me would have been immensely bored

I love longer cruises too. We did a 15 day Carnival cruise to Hawaii and had the best time. The kids were in Camp Carnival then and that was a lot of fun for them.  The islands we are visiting this time was their choice and there isn't much choice of Ships out of NYC where we will be vacationing after the cruise. So Journeys it is! Hopefully they'll gain lots of wisdom from all the mature people on board and then be 18 year olds again on the islands..Lol. Thanks for the reply!:)

I've been on two Journeys cruises and both of them were populated by an older crowd...and on both, children of all ages were scarce.  So much so, that on our last Journeys cruise, the kid's center (whatever it's called...Club Ocean IIRC) was closed.

Garnett

• Thanks 1

Hi brandi0727 ☺️

I just wanted to add to the Journeys info that you already received in your post here with some additional information.

Have a terrific sailing!

Info below located @:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3936/~/carnival-journeys-cruises

Pics-Art-07-11-10-43-04.png

Pics-Art-07-11-10-42-32.png

Pics-Art-07-11-10-42-08.png

🌴

Edited by PortSideCruzan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

I've been on two Journeys cruises and both of them were populated by an older crowd...and on both, children of all ages were scarce.  So much so, that on our last Journeys cruise, the kid's center (whatever it's called...Club Ocean IIRC) was closed.

Garnett

Since they won't be participating in the youth clubs, because one is too old and the other will want to hang out together,  maybe they will have the ropes course and waterslides mostly to themselves. Considering the older crowd won't be doing much of that?? They are quite articulate and respectful young adults and love hanging out with their grandparents,  so maybe they'll meet some wonderful mature folks and learn new things! One is heading to college to become a forensic scientist and the other plans on being a marriage and family therapist like her mom:) They are both on the mature side so they might meet some new grandparents they can adopt for the duration of the cruise. They are so excited to see Bermuda that I'm not sure if they'll even notice. I'm certainly not going to say anything to them and see how they respond to the environment once on board.  It will be interesting:) Thank you for the reply!:)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi brandi0727 ☺️

I just wanted to add to the Journeys info that you already received in your post here with some additional information.

Have a terrific sailing!

Info below located @:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3936/~/carnival-journeys-cruises

Pics-Art-07-11-10-43-04.png

Pics-Art-07-11-10-42-32.png

Pics-Art-07-11-10-42-08.png

🌴

Thank you! 🙂

• 3 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, lazydayz said:

This is nice to hear... we are going on our first Journeys cruise to celebrate our 35th anniversary.

We returned last Saturday from our 13 night Panama Canal cruise. It was an older crowd with fewer than 20 people under 18.  It was awesome to actually spot a child. We were on the Miracle and it was not at full capacity. There were over 90 Diamonds and over 600 Platinum cruisers. The Welcome Back party was in the theater and was well attended. Food and drinks were good. Happy to answer any questions. 

34 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

We returned last Saturday from our 13 night Panama Canal cruise. It was an older crowd with fewer than 20 people under 18.  It was awesome to actually spot a child. We were on the Miracle and it was not at full capacity. There were over 90 Diamonds and over 600 Platinum cruisers. The Welcome Back party was in the theater and was well attended. Food and drinks were good. Happy to answer any questions. 

That's encouraging.  I'm on a 13-day PC on the Miracle next February.

2 hours ago, lazydayz said:

what night do they have the midnight gala buffet? thanks for any info on the journeys cruise .. Anything we should not miss?

do you find that more people dress up on Formal nights on longer Journey's cruises?  We are looking at the 13 day Panama canal cruise on the Legend in May.  Do you think that certain decks have better views for transiting the Canal?  ie is deck 7/8 better than Deck 4/5 in terms of what you can see?  Also there are obstructed view balconies due to the life boats, would having the obstructed view, in which you cant look down, affect any of the experience while transiting?

20 hours ago, funfunfuncruzininthesun said:

what night do they have the midnight gala buffet? thanks for any info on the journeys cruise .. Anything we should not miss?

It was either the 10th or 11th night.  Very well publicized. We went up early to take pictures, but the crowd was crazy. 

4 hours ago, bstel said:

do you find that more people dress up on Formal nights on longer Journey's cruises?  We are looking at the 13 day Panama canal cruise on the Legend in May.  Do you think that certain decks have better views for transiting the Canal?  ie is deck 7/8 better than Deck 4/5 in terms of what you can see?  Also there are obstructed view balconies due to the life boats, would having the obstructed view, in which you cant look down, affect any of the experience while transiting?

The guests were pretty well dressed, but don't recall many tuxes or ball gowns. 

We were on deck 8 port side and loved that location (we left from Tampa).  I would avoid an obstructed view, because you want to see what is going on below you.  I loved seeing the ship getting hooked up to the mules, and getting to say hi to the people on the ships in the new locks and in the buildings.

While we spent some time up top and some on the outside promenade, our balcony was fantastic when the rain came in.