Will Oasis change Cats during dry dock?

I have a different reason for wanting Cats to be replaced.  I love Cats and have seen it several times, both on land and on Oasis.  My reasoning - when we sailed on Allure several years ago, the show was Chicago (wonderful!) and had a live orchestra.  The musicians and cast performed in multiple other venues all week long (jazz club, big band, etc.), so there was lots of live music.  Cats has a pre-recorded soundtrack for instruments and we noticed less (and lower quality) live music on Oasis.  I was hoping there would be a new show with a live orchestra.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

CATS is a fantastic play seen by more than 73 million people worldwide. Get the video below.  It is a special edition of CATS where Andrew Lloyd Weber picked all his favorite performers including Elaine Page with. 73 piece orchestra!

https://www.amazon.com/Cats-Musical-Commemorative-Elaine-Paige/dp/B00004XMTJ

I would greatly prefer Les Miserables, which has been seen by over 70 million people in 52 countries and 22 languages around the world.  Maybe they could get Alfie Boe to come and do opening night. I’d book it in a heartbeat. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I wish!  They need to get a new great production show!  How about Jersey Boys?  That would be awesome!

I'd love that too, but I believe NCL has that one.

6 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I know, but would love ANYTHING but CATS

Us too.

I know CATS is popular with some, but I would think that Royal would want a show on the ship that the vast majority of cruisers on that ship would like.   Or not.  Now that I think of it, unless something is affecting them monetarily  in the very short term, it's not on their radar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cello56 said:

We chatted with the stage manager that did the install of Mama Mia! and he said that for CATS, Andrew Lloyd Webber insisted that every single thing be exactly the same as the Broadway version. He even flew in to inspect the production prior to it premiering on board. He was very picky - every prop exactly the same. RCI do not  have the ability to change or modify the production without express permission from ALW. 

It's called negotiation 😇

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Perhaps they can issue a disclaimer that Cats isn't a typical musical in that there isn't a "real" story but its just a collection of some good, some forgettable songs (along with music so loud its hard to hear the actual words to the song) and some really good dancing.

And, maybe since cats do not like water, it's a show better seem on land. 🤣

Keep in mind that Mama Mia is a collection of existing songs jumbled together into a silly story. 😇

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, handbellplayer said:

I have a different reason for wanting Cats to be replaced.  I love Cats and have seen it several times, both on land and on Oasis.  My reasoning - when we sailed on Allure several years ago, the show was Chicago (wonderful!) and had a live orchestra.  The musicians and cast performed in multiple other venues all week long (jazz club, big band, etc.), so there was lots of live music.  Cats has a pre-recorded soundtrack for instruments and we noticed less (and lower quality) live music on Oasis.  I was hoping there would be a new show with a live orchestra.

🤔Pretty sure it has a live orchestra,  I've heard them warming up. You can see the director in the video monitors as well.  Also several cast members perform in Jazz. 

3 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

Cats is the 3rd longest running show on Broadway and is back on Broadway. Actually there is a story and lots of symbolism.   Check this link.

https://catsmusicalmeaning.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/an-explanation-of-the-musical-cats/

Actually Cats is now 4th - Lion King has surpassed it as #3 at a total of 9,009 perfomces (as of 6/30/19).  The original production of CATS ran 7,485 total perfomances.  Wicked is fast on it's heels in the #6 spot (6,544 performances with no end in sight!)

"IF" and its a big if .... Andrew Lloyd Webber and the other rights holders (including Trevor Nunn and the estate of T.S. Eliot among others) would allow a trim I'd say they could completely cut "The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles" from Act 1 and trim "Growltigers last stand/The ballad of Billy McCaw" in Act 2 and both would go a LONG way to making the show shorter and more enjoyable.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Now that I think of it, unless something is affecting them monetarily  in the very short term, it's not on their radar.

Well there you go, get them out of the theater and into the bars buying over priced drinks. After CATS, that was the first place I headed. So CATS might be here for the lifespan of the ship.

29 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

🤔Pretty sure it has a live orchestra,  I've heard them warming up. You can see the director in the video monitors as well.  Also several cast members perform in Jazz. 

Probably the recording of an orchestra warming up.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Whoever wrote that analogy was smoking dope.

When/if 😉 they officially announce its return, I'm doing a full blown synopsis with tons of pictures. Epic. 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well there you go, get them out of the theater and into the bars buying over priced drinks. After CATS, that was the first place I headed. So CATS might be here for the lifespan of the ship.

Don't give Royal any ideas. They may put it on every ship.

2 hours ago, Giorgi-one said:

CATS is a fantastic play seen by more than 73 million people worldwide. Get the video below.  It is a special edition of CATS where Andrew Lloyd Weber picked all his favorite performers including Elaine Page with. 73 piece orchestra!

https://www.amazon.com/Cats-Musical-Commemorative-Elaine-Paige/dp/B00004XMTJ

No doubt, it's an immensely popular show. But it hasn't found an audience on a cruise ship, judging by the vast amount of empty seats.

Then again, I thought Phantom was overrated so don't go by me.

Loved Kinky Boots but I don't think that was enough of a hit to be considered for the high seas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'd pay extra to see that

Do you think they would allow us to bring props to throw on stage?

Or would the be an up-charge that needs to be ordered via Cruise PLanner...."Rocky Horror Inactive Audience" kit for $19.99 PP (free for diamond and up,  and KEY members).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

No doubt, it's an immensely popular show. But it hasn't found an audience on a cruise ship, judging by the vast amount of empty seats.

Then again, I thought Phantom was overrated so don't go by me.

Loved Kinky Boots but I don't think that was enough of a hit to be considered for the high seas.

It's really to long for most people.

Probably why they give us 45 minutes of Tony Tillman types

• Like 1