Dress code tee shirts

gizfish

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

We have also seen folks turned away in shorts on elegant night.

This thread though was about CASUAL nights and not ELEGANT night.

I have been on Cruise Critic a looong time and have not been part of a discussion before about t shirts being banned on Carnival on those casual nights!!

Never ever for years and years!! Elegant night is a different story!

I wonder why this is coming up now???

The idea that you are not an "adult" if you wear a t shirt with a logo on it(not a white undershirt) is just ridiculous!! Image is NOT everything! It is substance that is everything!! Dressing in more formal clothing does not make you a better person!!

It is most certainly not just coming up now. I've only been a member of CC for about three years now and have read or participated in MANY threads where casual night attire has been discussed, to include the fact that T-shirt are on their "not permitted" list. I, personally, have copy/pasted and linked to Carnival's FAQ information about this countless times in my three years here. So maybe you've never seen it, but it's been discussed many, many times. And it's been on their FAQ's since early 2015, that I know of. Before then, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

On the Carnival ships t shirts have ALWAYS been allowed into the MDR on casual nights.

Again, we've had lots of conversations about elegant night dress codes but NEVER have had a conversation about casual dress on Carnival ships before this one!!

It is possible that the web site has always said this but since the info on line has been that it's been allowed for years then that's what we've done and so have the majority of people with whom we have sailed.

Other cruise lines do it differently.

You're confusing Carnival's official policy with how much they actually enforce said policy. It's official policy is that T-shirts aren't allowed in the MDR, but they don't seem to enforce it too heavily, so that's why you've experienced what you have and why we see other wearing them as well. The policy has obviously been in place longer than you realize. Since you know that it's not often enforced, your husband can make a decision as to whether he'll continue to wear his T-shirt or now follow the policy. If he continues to wear them, that's his prerogative, but know that Carnival has a right to enforce their stated policy...as unlikely as that might be.

• Like 2

It will be very interesting to see on our next cruise in November if this whole conversation here on Cruise Critic has anything to do with the actual way folks on the ships are dressing!

We have had several cruises since 2016 and not a peep has been heard from anyone about clothing on casual nights. Waiting to watch and see!

On 7/14/2019 at 5:42 PM, Doggielover68 said:

My husband wears screen printed cruise t shirts to the MDR every night except elegant night. He is not in the minority. 

14 cruises  ,I wear t-shirts and shorts  every casual night  ,never a problem  Most do the same 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trishlo73 said:

This is awesome!  That last photo of the couple in the matching suits, are my good friends.  They buy new matching suits for the first elegant night on every cruise! The second elegant night they dress more formally.  Its a vacation.  Enjoy dinner in MDR and the people watching

Hey, I'm half of that couple!! And yes we dress nice on the 2nd formal night. We just like to have fun on the carnival 'Fun Ships'

18258400.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Steve551 said:

As opposed to the link listed,  when I looked up the dress code it never said "not permitted" in reference to the attire as it does in the quoted link. 

Maybe that's why so many people have a different idea about was is considered a guideline and what is actually a required dress code?  Asking "please no" does not constitute a rule, it is more of a recommendation. Look at the rules in this Carnival Dress Code and see the difference in the wording. "Not permitted" is certainly a rule. But that is not the case in these photos. Seems conflicting at best. Here's the link https://www.carnivalcruiseline.de/en/vacation-carnival/general-information/dress-codeScreenshot_20190715-184625_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b5cf432bd615fdac8ed5797913322dc1.jpgScreenshot_20190715-184940_Gallery.thumb.jpg.945f89d4ce296ebd196afefdfc60c628.jpg

Edited by brandi0727

6 minutes ago, dogchopper said:

Hey, I'm half of that couple!! And yes we dress nice on the 2nd formal night. We just like to have fun on the carnival 'Fun Ships'

18258400.JPG

I think you're dressed nice here! You are exactly what makes cruising fun and you're adorable!  Your personality shines through and I personally love it! Keep on being you! 🙂

Edited by brandi0727
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

It will be very interesting to see on our next cruise in November if this whole conversation here on Cruise Critic has anything to do with the actual way folks on the ships are dressing!

We have had several cruises since 2016 and not a peep has been heard from anyone about clothing on casual nights. Waiting to watch and see!

Like Organized Chaos stated, there is a difference between what Carnival’s rules state and what they actually enforce. This applies to more than just the MDR.  I don’t recall Carnival rules ever allowing tee shirts in the MDR at night, so not sure why you don’t know this, unless you infrequently cruise on Carnival, which would make it more understandable.  However, Carnival isn’t going to say anything about what your husband wears based on your posts in this thread.

If you haven’t cruised on Carnival lately, they are focusing on a different demographic and their ships are definitely a lot more relaxed than they were in the past. The MDR is a perfect example of where you can see this change. They no longer use table cloths on casual nights. They have cut back on the number of waiters in the MDR, so you no longer get the pampered experience you got in the past. And as discussed in this point, they rarely enforce their dress code any more in the MDR on both casual and elegant nights. 

Carnival is all about having fun, which is why we continue to cruise on their ships frequently. My advice would be to have a good time on your cruise and don’t worry about what you should or shouldn’t be wearing. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, brandi0727 said:

I think you're dressed nice here! You are exactly what makes cruising fun and you're adorable!  Your personality shines through and I personally love it! Keep on being you! 🙂

Thanks Brandi!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve551 said:

How did you get it to link directly to it? Each of their FAQ topics used to be on individual webpages, but they've since switched to that drop-down menu style on the FAQ homepage. Anytime I expand one of the topics, it doesn't give me a unique URL. I just get carnival.com/help...I don't get /help/1093 like you linked to. It's made it such a pain trying to link to certain FAQ topics to help people out.

2 hours ago, HerbertandB said:

From what I can find, I'm guessing it was changed to add no T-shirts for cruise casual sometime in early 2016.

That thread doesn't indicate when the no T-shirt rule was added to the FAQ's. The rule was there when that thread was created and discussed. The rule's been in place longer than that.

CC users only represent a very small fraction of people who cruise on Carnival. There will be nothing to see or hear.

I am not even going to tell DH about this thread!!

Our November cruise may well be our last on Carnival for a while as we really prefer the suite perks on Princess!!

You keep insisting that it has not been policy in all the years you've cruised, but we've repeatedly showed you that it has, in fact, been policy for years. You also say you and your husband follow all the dress code rules on other lines and you would've followed this one had you known about it, but you're not even going to tell your husband about this rule. So there's nothing more to be said...you now know it's a rule, but you don't care about it, so that's that. Yes, he will more than likely be allowed into the MDR with his T-shirts because it's not enforced, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a rule.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, brandi0727 said:

As opposed to the link listed,  when I looked up the dress code it never said "not permitted" in reference to the attire as it does in the quoted link. 

Maybe that's why so many people have a different idea about was is considered a guideline and what is actually a required dress code?  Asking "please no" does not constitute a rule, it is more of a recommendation. Look at the rules in this Carnival Dress Code and see the difference in the wording. "Not permitted" is certainly a rule. But that is not the case in these photos. Seems conflicting at best. Screenshot_20190715-184625_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b5cf432bd615fdac8ed5797913322dc1.jpgScreenshot_20190715-184940_Gallery.thumb.jpg.945f89d4ce296ebd196afefdfc60c628.jpg

Personally, I think you're arguing over semantics. First of all, you linked to a German website called carnivalcruiseline.de. I'm not sure if that's Carnival's official website in Germany, but you'll find their FAQ's on carnival.com (which are all of their official policies) and in there it uses the phrase, "Not Permitted." But if you ask me, wording it in such a way that says "Please no T-shirts," it's just a polite way of saying T-shirts aren't allowed. No T-shirts, please. No means no, right?

• Like 2

I suppose some of you who are into "rules" don't read much??
I said in the beginning that we were Platinum on Carnival so that should have showed you we were frequent Carnival cruisers!

I have been on CC for many years as well!

I am not telling DH about this rule because we've not been following it for any of our previous cruises and won't start now! It is silly to follow a "rule" that has never been enforced!

Other lines enforce more stringent dress codes so we follow them even though it is not how we typically dress here in very INformal San Diego,Ca.

I hope you all enjoy your cruising however you decide to do it!

I am done with this conversation now!

21 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Personally, I think you're arguing over semantics. First of all, you linked to a German website called carnivalcruiseline.de. I'm not sure if that's Carnival's official website in Germany, but you'll find their FAQ's on carnival.com (which are all of their official policies) and in there it uses the phrase, "Not Permitted." But if you ask me, wording it in such a way that says "Please no T-shirts," it's just a polite way of saying T-shirts aren't allowed. No T-shirts, please. No means no, right?

I respectfully disagree.  On one website "not permitted" means just that and it won't fly.  But in this case,  it most certainly does fly as many others have challenged it and still were permitted in.  The other website,  whether it be from Germany, the UK, or any other part of the world doesn't matter,  because people travel from all around the world and there is inconsistency in their dress code policy. If you want a set standard, then it should most certainly be straightforward, stipulated,  and followed throughout. When I purchase homes or cars, it doesn't say "please make a payment" it most certainly stipulates that a payment "MUST be made every month" throughout the duration of the loan. I can also say, " no, thank you" when it comes to things and I can also change my mind often and reserve that right because it isn't a rule. Toddlers tell parents "no" many times a day. Does no always mean no? This could be spun so many ways.  If it's the rule then why aren't they enforcing them? If it's a guideline or recommendation, that's exactly why it's not being enforced.  Semantics absolutely matter, its what rules the world.

50 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

You keep insisting that it has not been policy in all the years you've cruised, but we've repeatedly showed you that it has, in fact, been policy for years. You also say you and your husband follow all the dress code rules on other lines and you would've followed this one had you known about it, but you're not even going to tell your husband about this rule. So there's nothing more to be said...you now know it's a rule, but you don't care about it, so that's that. Yes, he will more than likely be allowed into the MDR with his T-shirts because it's not enforced, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a rule.

We don't always agree, but I agree 100%. I don't understand what Riff insists on contradicting himself. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I suppose some of you who are into "rules" don't read much??
I said in the beginning that we were Platinum on Carnival so that should have showed you we were frequent Carnival cruisers!

I have been on CC for many years as well!

I am not telling DH about this rule because we've not been following it for any of our previous cruises and won't start now! It is silly to follow a "rule" that has never been enforced!

Other lines enforce more stringent dress codes so we follow them even though it is not how we typically dress here in very INformal San Diego,Ca.

THIS is my laugh for the day.  As a native San Diegan and Texas transplant, to have someone in San Diego say rules don't matter cuz you're so INformal in San Diego is false.  San Diego has created so many rules and regulations on the average citizen that it's oppressive to live there.  But I'm just guessing that some people can choose which rules and regulations to follow, because they're Platinum. 

• Like 2

If people want to get all dressed up and pretend that they are eating in an elegant, fine dining establishment, then perhaps they could use their extraordinary imaginations to pretend I am dressed in a manner that fits their fantasy!

Me, I am going to pretend I am at Hooters!

Edited by ecarbine
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, riffatsea said:

or I would have known about it and followed the rules! Since we follow the rules on all the other lines we have cruised we would have followed these rules as well!

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I am not even going to tell DH about this thread!!

I am done with this conversation now!

Congrats,  you went from "We always follow the rules" to "We aren't going to start now" in less than 12 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brandi0727 said:

I respectfully disagree.  On one website "not permitted" means just that and it won't fly.  But in this case,  it most certainly does fly as many others have challenged it and still were permitted in.  The other website,  whether it be from Germany, the UK, or any other part of the world doesn't matter,  because people travel from all around the world and there is inconsistency in their dress code policy. If you want a set standard, then it should most certainly be straightforward, stipulated,  and followed throughout. When I purchase homes or cars, it doesn't say "please make a payment" it most certainly stipulates that a payment "MUST be made every month" throughout the duration of the loan. I can also say, " no, thank you" when it comes to things and I can also change my mind often and reserve that right because it isn't a rule. Toddlers tell parents "no" many times a day. Does no always mean no? This could be spun so many ways.  If it's the rule then why aren't they enforcing them? If it's a guideline or recommendation, that's exactly why it's not being enforced.  Semantics absolutely matter, its what rules the world.

As I said in an earlier post, there's a difference between official policy and enforcing that policy. Just because they haven't enforced it, doesn't mean it's not still policy. It is until they change it.

In regards to the other website, I only brought that up because I have no idea if that's actually the official Carnival website in Germany. It matters because, if it's not, then the policies someone gets from it aren't the official policies of Carnival. But if it is, then we get to argue semantics. I didn't say semantics didn't matter. I'm saying that the meaning of the two phrases we're talking about are one in the same. "Please NO T-shirts" still means NO T-shirts. The phrase "no thank you" has absolutely no bearing on this since it's not the same. And toddlers telling parents no isn't even close to being the same.

Here's a better example...

1) A sign next to a tank of flammable liquid reads, "Smoking is not permitted."

Or...

2) The sign reads, "Please, no smoking near the tank of flammable liquid."

According to your logic, the first one means smoking is absolutely not allowed, but the second one is just a guideline...feel free to smoke next to the flammable liquid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

That thread doesn't indicate when the no T-shirt rule was added to the FAQ's. The rule was there when that thread was created and discussed. The rule's been in place longer than that.

I said sometime early in 2016 due to some other posts I had seen from 2015.

Here's one - response #7 (assuming it was copied and pasted from the Carnival web site).  It states that t-shirts are not allowed on cruise elegant night, t-shirts aren't mentioned for cruise casual dining.

39 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

As I said in an earlier post, there's a difference between official policy and enforcing that policy. Just because they haven't enforced it, doesn't mean it's not still policy. It is until they change it.

In regards to the other website, I only brought that up because I have no idea if that's actually the official Carnival website in Germany. It matters because, if it's not, then the policies someone gets from it aren't the official policies of Carnival. But if it is, then we get to argue semantics. I didn't say semantics didn't matter. I'm saying that the meaning of the two phrases we're talking about are one in the same. "Please NO T-shirts" still means NO T-shirts. The phrase "no thank you" has absolutely no bearing on this since it's not the same. And toddlers telling parents no isn't even close to being the same.

Here's a better example...

1) A sign next to a tank of flammable liquid reads, "Smoking is not permitted."

Or...

2) The sign reads, "Please, no smoking near the tank of flammable liquid."

According to your logic, the first one means smoking is absolutely not allowed, but the second one is just a guideline...feel free to smoke next to the flammable liquid.

That's funny! If anything has any sort of danger,  it would NEVER reflect a "please."  It would be absolute. If anything wants to be taken serious, it will reflect that in its rules. You can be "right" all you want, whatever floats your boat.  But it won't change the facts.  If a rule is not set, followed, enforced, and it is not given a consequence for not following, we can conclude it is not a rule. My examples were certainly in line and on point. You said, "no means no, right?" and I disagree. Context is key. Just because you perceive it differently does not change anything.  If Carnival legitimately had rules and enforced rules, then this would all be a moot point,  right? Everyone would be dressed to their enforced rules.  But that is not the case. No matter how you want to spin your reply,  it will not change for the mere fact that,  they don't enforce their own suggestions, recommendations,  or rules as some like to call it. When rules are enforced they don't have deviation. It's their way or the highway. When recommendations and suggestions present,  they are just that,  a guideline and they are not enforced and thus passengers wear whatever they brought with them. When I book a reservation at a restaurant that has a strict dress code policy, they mean what they say.  We would not be permitted to dine there if we showed up in anything other than what they allow.  Just because we want something to be true doesn't make it so. Carnival is in charge of all of this,  they set the precedence, and obviously they aren't caring too much,  are they? This would not even be a hot topic if they actually had rules, right? Who could go against what is enforced? Either way,  no skin off my back.  You do you!

Edited by brandi0727
  • Like 1

I don't even understand why it is even a rule at all. I feel they should do away with the "no t-shirts" rule on cruise casual night. Casual is just that... casual.  I occasionally have worn them in the dining room  on casual night before,not really realizing it was a rule,since I dont peruse the list every time I cruise. To  my credit ,I do follow the rules for dress on elegant night,and go slap on a dress and pair of flat sandals to wear to dinner. I dont understand why they dont want people wearing t-shirts, some of which I have bought at ports and even on board Carnival ships.

25 minutes ago, cruisin4Becky said:

I don't even understand why it is even a rule at all. I feel they should do away with the "no t-shirts" rule on cruise casual night. Casual is just that... casual.  I occasionally have worn them in the dining room  on casual night before,not really realizing it was a rule,since I dont peruse the list every time I cruise. To  my credit ,I do follow the rules for dress on elegant night,and go slap on a dress and pair of flat sandals to wear to dinner. I dont understand why they dont want people wearing t-shirts, some of which I have bought at ports and even on board Carnival ships.

I'm going to guess at why they don't want people wearing t-shirts may have to do with what is on the t-shirt.  There may be "offensive" pictures or words/slogans on said shirts.  Instead of just saying "no T-shirts with inappropriate slogans or writing", they chose to say no t-shirts all together.

• Like 3

I think all the comments in this thread can be summarized by the following three points. 

1. For at least a dozen years, if not longer, Carnival’s dress code for casual night has clearly stated no tee shirts are allowed in the MDR.  

2.  Carnival rarely, especially over the last few years, enforces their dress code in the MDR. 

3.  Because Carnival doesn’t enforce their dress code, you see people in the MDR every night who don’t comply with the dress code on both casual and elegant nights. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe it's because we book late seating,  maybe it's because lately, we've been going to the Southern Caribbean and those cruises are a little pricier than the Western Route (which I also love), so there there aren't as many first time cruisers on them, or maybe it's because we cruise in February when there aren't a lot of families, but people seem to be fairly dressed up even on casual nights.  For men, that seems to be mostly polo/collared shirts and khakis, for women, mostly sundresses.  I've felt under dressed a couple nights when I showed up in black pants and a dressy top. I've definitely seen some people in gym shorts and t-shirts, as well as some people who are in very fancy outfits every night- so the spectrum is covered.  But, generally, people seem to change into something a little nicer for dinner.  

• Like 1