Considering a cruise in December - When to book?

LisaLisa87

We’re toying with the idea of booking an “extra” cruise in December... primarily because we don’t want to wait until next summer, but also because DD is out of school through 1/7/20 for winter break. We’re looking at the Bliss sailing on 12/28/19 out of NYC. That sailing is appealing because we can drive to the port. We usually book way in advance, but obviously that ship has sailed! We could book now and get a balcony guarantee for 3 of us with all the perks for $4572. Alternatively, we could roll the dice and wait until after final payment, which is August 30th. We’re pretty new to NCL and could use some input from the experts! Book now or wait?

ETA: We’d prefer a balcony but would be fine with an ocean view. I don’t think we’d book an inside (mainly due to my claustrophobia).

Edited by LisaLisa87

Have a specific cabin category location deck in mind BOOK it now if there are limited cabins available.

If a better promotion comes along you can before the Final Payment period cancel and rebook for a better deal

with the obvious potential of losing some perks bennies OBC etc.

If this is all done in the same time frame/transaction the likelihood of losing the cabin pick is none.

Consider also - airfare - WELL - you are driving so that is one item less on the check list of things to do in advance.

Consider hotel accommodations booking now may give a better break/rate and a location closer to the pier and

where to park that car in that you are driving.

Closing note - Passports up to date - no expiry within 6 months of sailing.

I'd book now to lock in the price and watch daily -- price/promo might change....though other than an additional OBC, take 5 is pretty much the most you can get (last year, for Xmas I had take all 5 plus $100 OBC).

Prior to final payment you can cancel, or price adjust but doubtful the price will change on a downward trend, mostly upwards.

My Xmas Bliss has already increased by $400 since I booked it in May.

13 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

We’re toying with the idea of booking an “extra” cruise in December... primarily because we don’t want to wait until next summer, but also because DD is out of school through 1/7/20 for winter break. We’re looking at the Bliss sailing on 12/28/19 out of NYC. That sailing is appealing because we can drive to the port. We usually book way in advance, but obviously that ship has sailed! We could book now and get a balcony guarantee for 3 of us with all the perks for $4572. Alternatively, we could roll the dice and wait until after final payment, which is August 30th. We’re pretty new to NCL and could use some input from the experts! Book now or wait?

ETA: We’d prefer a balcony but would be fine with an ocean view. I don’t think we’d book an inside (mainly due to my claustrophobia).

I would book it asap. We are sailing in mid Oct out of Miami and booked it last March . Normally we book about 6 months out and holiday cruises can fill up pretty fast. Of course your final payment will be due in Aug and unless you have insurance that allows you to cancel for any reason, bad weather will not be protected. On the other hand, no matter when you book, you won't know about the weather situation.    

I did a NYE cruise on The Getaway several years ago-- booking 9 months in advance.  I will NEVER book another New Year's Eve cruise-- way too many people.  A Christmas cruise I would book in a heartbeat.  Any cruise over a holiday like Christmas and New Year's is always very crowded and expensive.

13 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Have a specific cabin category location deck in mind BOOK it now if there are limited cabins available.

If a better promotion comes along you can before the Final Payment period cancel and rebook for a better deal

with the obvious potential of losing some perks bennies OBC etc.

If this is all done in the same time frame/transaction the likelihood of losing the cabin pick is none.

Consider also - airfare - WELL - you are driving so that is one item less on the check list of things to do in advance.

Consider hotel accommodations booking now may give a better break/rate and a location closer to the pier and

where to park that car in that you are driving.

Closing note - Passports up to date - no expiry within 6 months of sailing.

There are no hotels in Manhattan that offer parking for the cruise.

Thanks for all your replies! We're leaning toward going ahead and booking, but I was curious to know whether NCL regularly slashes prices after final payment to fill remaining cabins. We've been on a handful of sold out cruises with lots of kids, so we'll go into the experience with the proper expectations! Our plan is to drive up in the morning on embarkation day, and it sounds like parking at (or near) the port is the way to go.

Thanks again!

42 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Thanks for all your replies! We're leaning toward going ahead and booking, but I was curious to know whether NCL regularly slashes prices after final payment to fill remaining cabins. We've been on a handful of sold out cruises with lots of kids, so we'll go into the experience with the proper expectations! Our plan is to drive up in the morning on embarkation day, and it sounds like parking at (or near) the port is the way to go.

Thanks again!

They do regularly slash prices on cruises that aren't full. But holiday cruises often fill in advance. My friends on a NYE out of PR and while it's not sold out it's a lot more than when he booked. 

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

They do regularly slash prices on cruises that aren't full. But holiday cruises often fill in advance. My friends on a NYE out of PR and while it's not sold out it's a lot more than when he booked. 

I would not characterize it as SLASHING PRICES but getting the most yield out of the market that is possible.

If the fare drops after Final Payment this could go with a 1 cabin category upgrade - or - 25% in OBC

of the difference i.e. fare drop was $200 pp OBC is $50 pp - either of which is a one time courtesy offering !

Best wait until a suitable drop has occurred to get the most OBC - if offered a cabin upgrade take it now that

cabin may not be available later.

11 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I would not characterize it as SLASHING PRICES but getting the most yield out of the market that is possible.

If the fare drops after Final Payment this could go with a 1 cabin category upgrade - or - 25% in OBC

of the difference i.e. fare drop was $200 pp OBC is $50 pp - either of which is a one time courtesy offering !

Best wait until a suitable drop has occurred to get the most OBC - if offered a cabin upgrade take it now that

cabin may not be available later.

Shrug. I'd consider prices after final payment being half of what they were several months before the cruise as slashing. But tomato, tomato - sometimes prices can greatly decrease after final payment if there are a lot of cabins still open which usually doesn't happen during popular times (holidays and school breaks) or rare itineraries.