Hotels near Manhattan port

Thechamp555

Looks like the OP is on the Escape sailing Aug 4.

OP - How are you traveling to the port?  It looks like you could be driving from Gatineau.  Hotel budget range?  Sightseeing requirements?  Two people?  Bed size requirements?

It is very late to be booking.  Hotwire would be a good resource to book a 3.5* and up hotel in Midtown Manhattan.   

40 minutes ago, 138east said:

It is very late to be booking.

New York has a very dynamic hotel room market-- wouldn't say its too late by a long stretch. Hotel Tonight is a great app for last minute bookings-- I often save a ton of money on 4+ star hotel by booking even same day. 

51 minutes ago, Thechamp555 said:

Budget would be max 200 us.

$200 wont be a big hurdle to stay under for that time of year in midtown. Do your homework because there will be a few really nice places priced between $180-$200 but there will be a bunch of dogs in there at the same price point. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

I have never used Hotwire.  Are you satisfied with the hotel your got;  how much in advance will you know which hotel was selected for you?

Hotwire lets you know immediately which hotel you got.  Sometimes the Hotwire web site will give you a list of 3-4 hotels and say they guarantee you will get one of them.  Sometimes they will say you are guaranteed a hotel that is part of a brand name chain.

Hotwire can be great for cruising from Boston. Hotels are very expensive.  Any hotel in the Seaport District near the port is going to be at least 3*.  There are no old or “fringe” hotels in this area, which has been newly developed over the last 20 years.  Only one hotel is in a refurbished building.  The only area in Manhattan with a strong pool of newer hotels is the downtown financial district. 

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

FiDi isn't close to the Manhattan port.  It is quiet on weekends, if that's what you want, and it's close to the rivers for pretty walks.

Between the Statue of Liberty and the 911 Memorial/museum it can be busy on the weekends depending on the time of year.  I think AF-1 is cruising Princess to New England and plans to take the ferry to Red Hook.  The Financial District also has great subway connections to anywhere in midtown and beyond. IMO for a cruise from Red Hook, it’s a good choice.

For Red Hook, sure.  I read Manhattan Cruise Port and assumed that's what was meant.

we usually stay in TriBeCa and anything under Chambers street is pretty quiet on weekends compared to everywhere else on the island

42 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

My cruise will be leaving on Sat.  We plan to arrive in the city Wednesday mid day

Especially spending a few days in town I think you would be better served staying further uptown where you'll most likely spend most of your time sightseeing and dining. Financial District is better than it used to be when I lived in Manhattan, but its still relatively sleepy after work hours.

By all means go down to see the 9/11 Memorial (I would tell you going to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island with only 2 full days in town is a waste of time unless they are things you really, really want to see up close), but you'll most likely spend a lot of time and effort taking taxis and subways uptown if you stay downtown. 

Hello princeton12311,  thanks for your reply.  We are choosing financial district for several reasons.  We do not want the crowds like around times square; my wife wants to visit 911 memorial, Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island.  She wants to check her family history.  Those are the 1,2,3 priorities.  Anything else will be icing on the cake.  Pizza is the only thing I want.  

56 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

We do not want the crowds like around times square; my wife wants to visit 911 memorial, Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island.

Understandable-- I would still say there are hotels in quieter areas further uptown that I would consider to be much nicer than what you get downtown which trend toward bland and corporate. Theres a lot on the East Side that are in nice residential areas that are close to the sights but steer clear of Times Square. Hotels around Gramercy Park and Union Square would fit into that as well. 

58 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Pizza is the only thing I want.  

Prince Street Pizza-- tremendously good. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Hello princeton12311,  thanks for your reply.  We are choosing financial district for several reasons.  We do not want the crowds like around times square; my wife wants to visit 911 memorial, Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island.  She wants to check her family history.  Those are the 1,2,3 priorities.  Anything else will be icing on the cake.  Pizza is the only thing I want.  

Have you booked your ferry ticket yet? Crown and pedestal are probably sold out by now.

Oops, thought you were the OP, but crown tickets do sell out months in advance.

Edited by mjkacmom

On 7/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, princeton123211 said:

Understandable-- I would still say there are hotels in quieter areas further uptown that I would consider to be much nicer than what you get downtown which trend toward bland and corporate. Theres a lot on the East Side that are in nice residential areas that are close to the sights but steer clear of Times Square. Hotels around Gramercy Park and Union Square would fit into that as well. 

Prince Street Pizza-- tremendously good. 

But staying in Financial District you can walk to Ferry and 9/11 Memorial. Convenience and a clean,  safe property is perfect when you only have a few days. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 8:33 AM, princeton123211 said:

Especially spending a few days in town I think you would be better served staying further uptown where you'll most likely spend most of your time sightseeing and dining. Financial District is better than it used to be when I lived in Manhattan, but its still relatively sleepy after work hours.

By all means go down to see the 9/11 Memorial (I would tell you going to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island with only 2 full days in town is a waste of time unless they are things you really, really want to see up close), but you'll most likely spend a lot of time and effort taking taxis and subways uptown if you stay downtown. 

Why do you say Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are a waste of time? I'm thinking more just the S.O.L..

9 hours ago, KristieB said:

Why do you say Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are a waste of time? I'm thinking more just the S.O.L..

They are NOT a waste of time. Ellis Island is especially interesting if you have relatives who entered through there. Even if you didn’t have relatives it’s an important place in American History. 

Basically anything that interests YOU is not a waste of time. Don’t pay attention to those who think their opinion is fact. 

47 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

They are NOT a waste of time. Ellis Island is especially interesting if you have relatives who entered through there. Even if you didn’t have relatives it’s an important place in American History. 

Basically anything that interests YOU is not a waste of time. Don’t pay attention to those who think their opinion is fact. 

I used to think getting off at the SOL was a waste of time (love EI), but the last time got tickets for the family to the pedestal/crown and loved it. I had no idea there was a small museum in there, and the views!

On 9/6/2019 at 10:47 PM, KristieB said:

By no means was my comment about the cultural value of either places (although I would argue that Ellis Island is significantly more important and interesting than the Statue due to his human history). It was more that with a limited time in New York City that either of these, given the ferry rides necessary to access them, take a disproportionate amount of time to get to and from when you could more quickly see many other sights in New York and cover more ground that way. 

If either of these is big on your list, by all means go see them-- they are highly worthwhile and interesting. But just know that you'll need to devote the good portion of one of your two days in NY to do it. My comments were taken completely out of context. 

My wife and I plan to visit NY next year prior to cruise.  We will spend two full days in the city and plan on staying at Marriott Financial Center.  My wife wants to visit Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and 911 memorial.  She does not care to visit Times Square. She is Italian and her grandparents came thru Ellis Island;  so that is why she wants to see their names, and she wants visit Little Italy.  For us staying midtown or uptown is not a choice. We sail out of Brooklyn Red Hook; so that makes more sense to hop on ferry or uber to the port.  Have a great day. 

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

By no means was my comment about the cultural value of either places (although I would argue that Ellis Island is significantly more important and interesting than the Statue due to his human history). It was more that with a limited time in New York City that either of these, given the ferry rides necessary to access them, take a disproportionate amount of time to get to and from when you could more quickly see many other sights in New York and cover more ground that way. 

If either of these is big on your list, by all means go see them-- they are highly worthwhile and interesting. But just know that you'll need to devote the good portion of one of your two days in NY to do it. My comments were taken completely out of context. 

No, I see what you are saying, just wanted clarification. I guess it's all about prioritizing. We will probably have about 2 1/2 days unless we decide to add one more day. We'll have adults in their 40's, 60's, and 70's and teens.