Do you think I am Crazy

kruisey

On 7/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, sandyoftheseas said:

kruisey-  You may want to go in your roll call board and see if anyone wants to join you and share the cost.

I think this is a great ideal.  You may make a new friend and be more comfortable during your tour.

I still have a very strong yearning to go on this trip.After all I am 83 so I have had a good life.Still very tempted to rebook.Use a walker and not as mobile as others that is why I book stuff on my own because I don't want to hold folks back ,or make folks feel they have to help me on the trip.

2 hours ago, kruisey said:

I still have a very strong yearning to go on this trip.After all I am 83 so I have had a good life.Still very tempted to rebook.Use a walker and not as mobile as others that is why I book stuff on my own because I don't want to hold folks back ,or make folks feel they have to help me on the trip.

Kruisey you stop talking like that. You book the cruises & excursions that appeal to you. On all excursions there are all ages, all abilities, all speeds. At 83 you have earned the right to go & do & experience as much as possible. And if a fellow cruiser/excursioner wants to help you along, let 'em! It comes from their heart. 💖 If you don't book the trip you're yearning to take, I'm gonna' be very sad. Don't make me sad. Book it. 😊

Edited by 1965
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 1965 said:

Kruisey you stop talking like that. You book the cruises & excursions that appeal to you. On all excursions there are all ages, all abilities, all speeds. At 83 you have earned the right to go & do & experience as much as possible. And if a fellow cruiser/excursioner wants to help you along, let 'em! It comes from their heart. 💖 If you don't book the trip you're yearning to take, I'm gonna' be very sad. Don't make me sad. Book it. 😊

I have booked this again rather than a trip to Dubai which is a modern Las Vegas which I can go to anytime. I go for history and antiquities stuff like that....maybe boring for some........

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kruisey said:

I have booked this again rather than a trip to Dubai which is a modern Las Vegas which I can go to anytime. I go for history and antiquities stuff like that....maybe boring for some........

Our impression is that there is some feeling of Las Vegas to Dubai, but still looking forward to seeing it as well as Jordan/Petra.  The World's Fair should be good to see and experience (not been to one of those since about 1986).

Edited by steelers36

Kruisey

I just returned from Israel and did a day trip to Jordan to visit Petra. I felt very safe there. The Jordanian people are very friendly and are very interested in increasing tourism in their beautiful country. I wouldn't hesitate to go at all.

One thing you should be aware of, if Petra is something you are interested in seeing: It is a 3 mile walk from the visitor center to the Monastery (think, Indiana Jones). The walk is relatively flat and quite beautiful, but it is a long walk.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:37 PM, kruisey said:

I cancelled😥. Re booked a day in Rome with a driver with Princess excursions.Been Never to Rome. I think Aquba would have been more exciting though.

Too bad.  Aqaba for Wadi Rum and Petra is not to be missed.  As safe there as anyplace in the USA - maybe safer.  

Okay!  See that you rebooked.  Well done.

Edited by Globehoppers

On 8/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, cruiseformel said:

Kruisey

I just returned from Israel and did a day trip to Jordan to visit Petra. I felt very safe there. The Jordanian people are very friendly and are very interested in increasing tourism in their beautiful country. I wouldn't hesitate to go at all.

One thing you should be aware of, if Petra is something you are interested in seeing: It is a 3 mile walk from the visitor center to the Monastery (think, Indiana Jones). The walk is relatively flat and quite beautiful, but it is a long walk.

Enjoy!

Am I correct there is also a 3 mile walk back? I got my sun hat from Amazon today so I'm ready. 😁

12 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Am I correct there is also a 3 mile walk back? I got my sun hat from Amazon today so I'm ready. 😁

You don’t have to walk all the way. There are 2seater horse drawn carts to hire. Visited past March- Petra is not to be missed especially if you’re interested in history. The Treasury was an amazing sight.  Go and enjoy.

I have w/I the last 3 months visited Petra on a cruise on another line and I would like to add my 2 cents worth. The Treasury is undoubtedly a magnificent place to see, but one needs to think about the logistics. I have read that the Op has mobility issues and I think some factors should be considered. The starting point for the walk to the Treasury is at about 5400 ft. Above sea level and the Treasury is at about 4800’. If one is not used to the elevation that makes the trip even more strenuous. The walk in and out are the same so as our Fitbits told us we walked around 5.5 miles.  A portion of the walk is completely unshaded and can be very hot. The horse carriages are at breakneck speed and on our last visit we saw someone fall out as the carriage went over a particularly bumpy stretch. If you want to use a carriage you must do it round trip. The first time we went we thought we would walk. After we got down to the sights we were hot and tired and thought we’d take a cart back. No go. We had to have a round trip ticket so we tiredly made our way back through the canyon. Kruisey, we were considerably younger than you and we were pooped. This last time in May we joined 3 other people and took a golf cart down to the Treasury and back up. It was a great experience! We had time to look around and even enjoyed the ride down and back. If you are going to go to Petra you should definitely do the golf cart from the entrance down and back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunviking said:

I have w/I the last 3 months visited Petra on a cruise on another line and I would like to add my 2 cents worth. The Treasury is undoubtedly a magnificent place to see, but one needs to think about the logistics. I have read that the Op has mobility issues and I think some factors should be considered. The starting point for the walk to the Treasury is at about 5400 ft. Above sea level and the Treasury is at about 4800’. If one is not used to the elevation that makes the trip even more strenuous. The walk in and out are the same so as our Fitbits told us we walked around 5.5 miles.  A portion of the walk is completely unshaded and can be very hot. The horse carriages are at breakneck speed and on our last visit we saw someone fall out as the carriage went over a particularly bumpy stretch. If you want to use a carriage you must do it round trip. The first time we went we thought we would walk. After we got down to the sights we were hot and tired and thought we’d take a cart back. No go. We had to have a round trip ticket so we tiredly made our way back through the canyon. Kruisey, we were considerably younger than you and we were pooped. This last time in May we joined 3 other people and took a golf cart down to the Treasury and back up. It was a great experience! We had time to look around and even enjoyed the ride down and back. If you are going to go to Petra you should definitely do the golf cart from the entrance down and back.

I will be OK because I will be taking the Taxi and driver that Princess offered on their excursions list.I could not manage any other way.Thank  you for your caring thoughts.😊.

Edited by kruisey
Change word.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DeeTO said:

You don’t have to walk all the way. There are 2seater horse drawn carts to hire. Visited past March- Petra is not to be missed especially if you’re interested in history. The Treasury was an amazing sight.  Go and enjoy.

Thank you for the info. I cannot wait! We hope to do the total walk. We have a little over a year to get in semi shape. 😁

We did Aqaba and Eilat "back to back."  Ship moored Eilat first for a 3-hours each way bus ride to Jerusalem and then relocated over to Aqaba for Petra and Wadi Rum.  Israel would not permit ship sponsored tours (any tours originating in Aqaba) into Israel. Felt significantly safer and more welcome in Jordan than Israel.  People were friendlier and appeared to be freer to travel.  The Jordanian countryside is beautiful while on the western side of the river the Israelis constantly remind you that they are at war to include "papers please" check points.

The walk down into Petra, and especially back up, can be hot.  Several people from our cruise knew this in advance and arranged for an overnight hotel room in the town at the entrance to Petra to enable an early start.  Worth considering if moored in Aqaba overnight.  We were able to take the horse drawn cart back up.

Edited by Globehoppers

4 hours ago, MermaidPrincessSusi said:

Stick to the tourist areas and you will be fine! Or stick with Princess tours! I personally would not do a cab into the caution areas! 

I am paying via Princess Excursions for a private car and driver.Cannot climb steps so cannot join a group on coaches. So you are saying this method is not safe?

8 hours ago, kruisey said:

I am paying via Princess Excursions for a private car and driver.Cannot climb steps so cannot join a group on coaches. So you are saying this method is not safe?

Join your roll call. Hopefully you can share the Princess arranged taxi. Enjoy your trip.

8 hours ago, kruisey said:

If Princess is offering this option as a shore excursion it should be safe.  They would not put you in harm's way.  In case you aren't already aware of it, your private taxi and driver can only take you as far as the gate to the path leading down to the Treasury and other sites at Petra.  From that gate there are only 3 ways to make the 5.5 mile trip - 1) walking, 2) horse cart, and 3) golf cart.  There are no vehicles down in the area everyone wants to see. I'm not trying to discourage you from going because Petra is a truly remarkable place to see, but you should go in with eyes wide open about the logistics.

1 hour ago, Sunviking said:

If Princess is offering this option as a shore excursion it should be safe.  They would not put you in harm's way.  In case you aren't already aware of it, your private taxi and driver can only take you as far as the gate to the path leading down to the Treasury and other sites at Petra.  From that gate there are only 3 ways to make the 5.5 mile trip - 1) walking, 2) horse cart, and 3) golf cart.  There are no vehicles down in the area everyone wants to see. I'm not trying to discourage you from going because Petra is a truly remarkable place to see, but you should go in with eyes wide open about the logistics.

Thank you for advise.I am certain the driver with being local will find other  great things for me to see.I am not very mobile.The only way I can do this is with a private car its just that or stay on the ship all day?

13 hours ago, kruisey said:

I see you being just fine, except others have posted about the walk from the main entrance area to the actual site and you either walk or go in a golf cart or go in a horse-drawn cart.  IDK how the golf cart is arranged, etc, but have you researched this detail?  I ask because I doubt your taxi will be allowed to drive down the path or "road" where people are walking/heading to the main site.  I have never been there, but it sounds like you should understand just what is available to assist you in getting that last piece of ground covered.  Good luck!

20 hours ago, kruisey said:

You are paying for a private car excursion through Princess. This is the safe way to get a private car. 😁. But as far as the walking, the car will not be able to take you all the way there. There will be walking if you want to go to Petra or like others have said, there are alternate methods to get down to the sites. We are in the same predicament when we do excursions. We cannot walk very far or long.. So we try to do excursions by bus or private car as well. I am sure the driver will be able to point out other sites that will be more accessible. Have fun! 👍