Do you think I am Crazy

kruisey

Booking a Princess   excursion taxi in Aquba and area ? I looked at travel  warnings for Jordon after I had booked .It stated Extreme  Caution Threats and Terrorist threats in area in the Canadian and USA Travel advisaries.Have any of you been there recently? Surely Princess excursions would not put these areas on their list if they thought to be dangerous.?

Edited by kruisey
  • Like 1

Heather, the increased caution is for the border areas of Syria and Iraq. If you go to the tourist areas (Petra and/or Wadi Rum) you will be much safer.  As always, heed your surroundings, but we found it to be very enjoyable on our Princess tours this past March.  The same warnings were in effect then.

Edited by cherylandtk

I personally think you will be fine. And if anything was as extreme high alert and you have an excursion book with Princess directly I'm pretty positive they wouldn't continue with the tours if they thought their passengers would be in any direct harm. Enjoy yourself and have a wonderful once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I will make no comment or give no assurances related to your “crazy” status. 😜 

Princess wants you back on the ship to buy more products and cruises, they have no desire to take you to a location that would seriously endanger their net profits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a cruise booked for Oct. 2020 that includes Jordan, Abu Dahbi, & Dubai. A few friends think we're crazy. But we feel we'll be as safe there as any place in the world. We live near Dallas where there are fatal shootings every night. A few years ago in a small Texas town a man burst into a church on a Sunday morning & killed several worshippers. And on & on. We trust Princess is ever & always vigilant. 😊

I posed a similar question on my Roll Call and on the Mexico board worrying about safety on a Princess shore excursion from Manzanillo to Colima, where there is a US State Dept Level 4 "Do Not Travel" Advisory. People generally trust that Princess will not take you on any excursion that could be dangerous. I want to believe that's true. But we also always admonish people to read what the Passenger Contract says. And among other things it says this:

Carrier visits a large number of ports in numerous countries around the world. At any given moment there are likely to be "trouble spots" in the world in terms of war, terrorism, crime, Act of God, civil commotions, labor trouble, and/or other potential sources of harm. Local conditions and infrastructure may also create hazards to Guests while off the ship. Accordingly, it may be necessary to change, cancel or terminate the scheduled cruise or any activities related to the cruise, including without limitation shore excursions and port visits. Although Carrier endeavors to provide reasonable protection for Your comfort and safety onboard its ships, motorcoaches, dayboats and/or railcars owned or operated by us, Carrier cannot guarantee freedom from all risks associated with war, terrorism, crime or other potential sources of harm. Carrier reminds all Guests that they must ultimately assume responsibility for their actions while ashore. The United States Department of State and other similar government agencies regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers giving details of local conditions in specified cities and countries according to such agency's perception of risks to travelers. Carrier strongly recommends that Guests and their travel agents obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions. 

Bottom line, I believe that Princess won't knowingly put its passengers in harm's way, but they also aren't guaranteeing your safety. Part of the problem is that these trouble spots are also often the same areas where the local authorities may be corrupt. It all comes down to the level of risk you're willing to tolerate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, junglejane said:

I posed a similar question on my Roll Call and on the Mexico board worrying about safety on a Princess shore excursion from Manzanillo to Colima, where there is a US State Dept Level 4 "Do Not Travel" Advisory. People generally trust that Princess will not take you on any excursion that could be dangerous. I want to believe that's true. But we also always admonish people to read what the Passenger Contract says. And among other things it says this:

Bottom line, I believe that Princess won't knowingly put its passengers in harm's way, but they also aren't guaranteeing your safety. Part of the problem is that these trouble spots are also often the same areas where the local authorities may be corrupt. It all comes down to the level of risk you're willing to tolerate.

What you highlighted in yellow is "lawyerspeak".  I once did a multi day Grand Canyon raft trip.  You should have seen the release that we had to sign.  It began with if I remember the words - "This is not a trip to Disneyland.  You could die" and then proceeded to list the many possible ways that we could die on the trip.  It followed with the ways that we could be seriously injured.  Did anyone die - no.  Have people died on commercial raft trips - yes.  Have people been injured - yes.  Was a good time had by all - most definitely yes.

DON

To answer the Question... Yes you are crazy.. But who isnt. I would trust a cruise line one more than 3rd party.

I doubt any thing will happen just stay aware of your surrounding and belongings.

Dont be afraid. but use catuion it never hurt or and HAVE FUN!

23 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What you highlighted in yellow is "lawyerspeak".

Of course it's "lawyerspeak." It's also a time honored tradition on Cruise Critic to admonish people to read their Passenger Contract. And my reading of the lawyerspeak is that it plainly does NOT say: you are free to ignore travel advisories where Princess excursions are concerned. In fact it says the opposite. It says take the travel advisory into consideration when you make your decision.

23 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What you highlighted in yellow is "lawyerspeak".  I once did a multi day Grand Canyon raft trip.  You should have seen the release that we had to sign.  It began with if I remember the words - "This is not a trip to Disneyland.  You could die" and then proceeded to list the many possible ways that we could die on the trip.  It followed with the ways that we could be seriously injured.  Did anyone die - no.  Have people died on commercial raft trips - yes.  Have people been injured - yes.  Was a good time had by all - most definitely yes.

DON

Your planed excursion is expected to be safe.  Keyword: expected.

Make a plan on how to "get out of Dodge", but don't let having it get in the way of enjoying yourself.  However, if the hairs on the back of your neck start standing up...

2 hours ago, junglejane said:

I just say to myself is this really worth the risk? If my government tells me it’s a high risk then I just say no i’m not Going.

Tony

• Like 3

Not crazy, adventurous. Adventure comes at a cost. Just pay attention to the people, and be mindful of your surroundings.  I bid you safe travels and successful returns. 

Looking forward to a 'Live from...' threads with some epic photos in it 🙂

21 hours ago, kruisey said:

Booking a Princess   excursion taxi in Aquba and area ? I looked at travel  warnings for Jordon after I had booked .It stated Extreme  Caution Threats and Terrorist threats in area in the Canadian and USA Travel advisaries.Have any of you been there recently? Surely Princess excursions would not put these areas on their list if they thought to be dangerous.?

I was in Aqaba, Jordan 2 months ago. I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to go to Petra since our ship had recently been in 2 ports where other ships got attacked by Iran and we had former Navy Seals onboard for security. 

I decided to go because I doubt if I'll ever get back there and it seemed a shame to miss it. I took the ship's tour because, as a solo woman, it felt safer than to go on my own. 

Everything was fine and I'm SO glad I went!!  Petra was amazing...I got to drive a camel for 1 hr by myself (the guide walked behind me)!!  The Jordanian people were so friendly and hospitable! 

Kruisey, I  just looked at the US State Dept website for Jordan. Jordan is listed as Level 2 "Exercise Increased Caution." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Jordan.html By contrast, the State of Colima in Mexico, which is where Manzanillo is and where I'm booked on Princess excursion that goes 60 miles into the interior, is Level 4 "Do Not Travel." That the same level given to North Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

If Colima were only Level 2, I would go. Even with Level 4, I'm not cancelling yet but adopting a "wait and see" approach until it's closer to the cruise date. But I"m leaning toward cancelling before the deadline.

1 minute ago, junglejane said:

Kruisey, I  just looked at the US State Dept website for Jordan. Jordan is listed as Level 2 "Exercise Increased Caution." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Jordan.html By contrast, the State of Colima in Mexico, which is where Manzanillo is and where I'm booked on Princess excursion that goes 60 miles into the interior, is Level 4 "Do Not Travel." That the same level given to North Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

If Colima were only Level 2, I would go. Even with Level 4, I'm not cancelling yet but adopting a "wait and see" approach until it's closer to the cruise date. But I"m leaning toward cancelling before the deadline.

If, peace is made within Middle East before we travel I will re book.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Princess is so cautious with avoiding trouble spots, so if it wasn’t gonna be safe, they’d/they’ll cancel the port call. If the safety is questionable, I would only go with a Princess excursion.

I agree.  

• Like 1