Bad Riviera Reviews

Misssmb

I'm of the feeling that that review is from someone who is just interested in creating problems for O and could even be from a former dissatisfied employee, which happens from time to time.

The food in all restaurants is excellent.  Some are my favorites and others are not, but that is my personal taste.

I recall boarding ship when one of the staff greeting us called me by name.  My daughter and I went topside to enjoy a drink and lunch waiting for our stateroom when another member of the staff came up to express his sympathy for the loss of my husband.  He said he always enjoyed us.  Now how could he have known that my husband had passed away.  Amazing.

And the room attendants are incredible.  You leave your room, and lo and behold upon your return shortly, the room is cleaned.  They are magic.

I hope one is not discouraged from a random review of negativity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Misssmb said:

Absolutely! I was just worried since those bad ones were recent! 

you need to read reviews with an open mind

some  say nothing about the issues  & some go into unbelievable details 

take them all with a grain of salt 

go & form your opinions

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

you need to read reviews with an open mind

some  say nothing about the issues  & some go into unbelievable details 

take them all with a grain of salt 

go & form your opinions

Just my 2 cents

Agree...sometimes you can find one thing that sets a reviewer off and then it causes an entropic spiral into negativity. Some people just can’t drop the bone. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I agree with Lyn.  (So what else is new?)

I always read these reviews with attention to detail.  As I've already said several times, if the reviews is everything was PERFECT or everything was AWFUL, I ignore them.  Many people post generally favorable reviews but point out areas where things could have been better.  THOSE I pay attention to.

As much as we've enjoyed all of our Oceania cruises (and Renaissance before that), none of them were perfect.  The overall experience was enjoyable and that's what counts.

Heck, we also liked our two NCL and QE2 cruises.  They weren't perfect either.  (We preferred Oceania but that's another story.)

Mura

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:31 PM, LHT28 said:

not sure if this will work or not   just scroll down the page until you see the reviews

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=607

this is one

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=660498

Wow! I read that review. Either that person is plain out & out lying, or they have some vendetta against the line. I remember this woman (usually on Princess) who bragged about Oceania, but it turned out she cancelled the trip. At least she gave a pretty good review for a cruise she never took! If you read reviews enough, I think you could fake your own review without even setting foot on the ship. Now, about that wonderful 6 mo. cruise we took on the Europa........

11 hours ago, keithm said:

Wow! I read that review. Either that person is plain out & out lying, or they have some vendetta against the line. I remember this woman (usually on Princess) who bragged about Oceania, but it turned out she cancelled the trip. At least she gave a pretty good review for a cruise she never took! If you read reviews enough, I think you could fake your own review without even setting foot on the ship. Now, about that wonderful 6 mo. cruise we took on the Europa........

I also read the review and most of the 'Terrible'  reviews and noticed that the majority of the reviewers  (which posted a 1 star review) that this was their only post.  

As others have mentioned, I pay more attention to reviews that stated the very good and not so good about a cruise.  I also look at the number of review that a person has posted. I trust the opinion of a person who has participate in CC before than a person who wrote a terrible review and its their only post.  

image.png.6009da86ef7e443d1a247bf1c766f1c1.png

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, Mura said:

I agree with Lyn.  (So what else is new?)

I always read these reviews with attention to detail.  As I've already said several times, if the reviews is everything was PERFECT or everything was AWFUL, I ignore them.  Many people post generally favorable reviews but point out areas where things could have been better.  THOSE I pay attention to.

As much as we've enjoyed all of our Oceania cruises (and Renaissance before that), none of them were perfect.  The overall experience was enjoyable and that's what counts.

Heck, we also liked our two NCL and QE2 cruises.  They weren't perfect either.  (We preferred Oceania but that's another story.)

Mura

Reviews can be helpful.  Yet, I will dismiss those that start with, "This was our first cruise and everything was perfect!"  But, the reverse is also true.  When I see those that begin with, "never again" or "worst cruise ever," I'll skim those just for fun.  It's the trends that are important.

Edited by ricka47

I recommend that OPs be a bit more judicious when titling a thread. There apparently was just one outlier “bad review” of Riviera (suspiciously all negative) but CCers scrolling through the Oceania threads just see “Bad Reviews.” And why not something a bit less less pejoratively conclusive, such “Is This One Poor Review of Riviera Accurate/Reliable?”

15 minutes ago, JPR said:

I recommend that OPs be a bit more judicious when titling a thread. There apparently was just one outlier “bad review” of Riviera (suspiciously all negative) but CCers scrolling through the Oceania threads just see “Bad Reviews.” And why not something a bit less less pejoratively conclusive, such “Is This One Poor Review of Riviera Accurate/Reliable?”

Seriously, I don’t think it’s necessary to criticize a title. 

Actually, I DO think that criticism of a title can be warranted.  That being said, not necessarily THIS title.  When I first saw the title I assumed what was under discussion was one review, not a slew of them.

But often there are crucial misspellings in the title (easy to do, I know but once it's there hard to correct).  OR there may just be misleading information or not enough of the right information.  For example, a roll call that doesn't give the date or name of the ship -- I myself don't need the itinerary to be in that title although I'm sure many others would prefer that information to be there as well.  But your title can only be so long.

2 minutes ago, JPR said:

“Bad reviews” made me think there were several (if not a slew of) bad reviews. Perhaps it was just a typo...

At the time I posted that title, there were 2 bad reviews in a row. Since then, there are some good ones in between. I was constantly looking to see if there were any new reviews and when I saw two bad ones in a row, I got concerned.

I was on Riviera in March 2019 for 10 days. My first Oceania experience and while it was not perfect, in my humble opinion, it was pretty close. Certainly, as good as any of my trips with Regent (well maybe not as good as Explorer but that was outstanding). Overall, a great ship, with excellent food and service - definitely no need to be concerned.

Hope you have a great cruise.   

Edited by nigelc
add text

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, Misssmb said:

Went on Marina last November and we loved it so much that we booked Riviera for this November. Two recent bad reviews were posted. Can it be that bad or just really picky people? 

We've done 2 trips on the Riviera & have loved it. This negative review posters are talking about is TOTALLY false! This was done by someone who has a vendetta or other issue with Oceania. They claim to have spent over $70K on a Mediterranean cruise. I don't care whether you had the owner's suite. It's virtually impossible to spend that much on a 10-20 day cruise. That's high even for a world cruise on any line in most any suite!

No cruise is perfect, but these 2 have been pretty close. In Jan. 2018 the weather was terrible. I still gave an excellent review. I never fault any ship due to weather. I wholly recommend you try Oceania. Hope to see you next Feb.

2 hours ago, keithm said:

We've done 2 trips on the Riviera & have loved it. This negative review posters are talking about is TOTALLY false! This was done by someone who has a vendetta or other issue with Oceania. They claim to have spent over $70K on a Mediterranean cruise. I don't care whether you had the owner's suite. It's virtually impossible to spend that much on a 10-20 day cruise. That's high even for a world cruise on any line in most any suite!

No cruise is perfect, but these 2 have been pretty close. In Jan. 2018 the weather was terrible. I still gave an excellent review. I never fault any ship due to weather. I wholly recommend you try Oceania. Hope to see you next Feb.

agree 100%