Status for spouse

Andrew72681

No each person has their own status so your spouse has to earn their own points tally.and/or match their own status for a status match, so to keep things going at the same rate you have to alternate who uses their card to pay on board spend ( to maximise the points)( assuming you cruise more than once with them) . or. each of you registers a card  on each sailing but you cannot add the two spends together thereby you can't necessarily maximise the number of points available for the total on board spend.

The way to do it is to try and get both spouses to reach a multiple of 150 USD/EUROS on the final invoice, not the easiest thing in the world to do but it can be done by carefully monitoring your account(s) and spending on the appropriate account

Edited by Skier52

5 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I do not think changing the name will change any perks or will it?

Apparently not.  There was a thread on here some time ago on the subject, but it would be difficult to find it now.

I was wanting to cruise on an MSC ship again. Did that many, many years ago. I was looking at the reviews of the MSC Armonia and they were not very good at all. Really negative. I just might stick with the 4 I usually cruise on. During a cruise company showing of all cruise lines I asked why don't other cruise lines up grade you to your level on another ship. The answer was. because they do not need to. According to them, MSC is hurting for passengers.

4 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

The “perks” need to be improved to something more significant for it to persuade or influence my decisions. Sailing YC the only perk of value is the discount, all the others are meaningless.

Totally agree, though we do enjoy the Speciality Restaurant complimentary meals and probably wouldn't have experienced them had it not been for the perk.  Also, priority boarding is a gift when not in YC.  But they really need to introduce a new, higher tier to incentivise people to aim for something after attaining/matching to Black.

36 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

I do not think changing the name will change any perks or will it?

29 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Apparently not.  There was a thread on here some time ago on the subject, but it would be difficult to find it now.

I found the thread, if you're interested:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2664809-msc-voyager-club-black-level-change-to-diamond/?tab=comments#comment-57521917

Just now, twodaywonder said:

What type of cabin were you in? The reviews state almost no room at all around the sides of the bed in an OV state room. Very tight.

We were in a Fantastica suite and had MyChoice (Anytime) dining in a dedicated MDR where service was fantastic.  We also had the old Deluxe drinks package, which covered almost everything on the bar menus.

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We were in a Fantastica suite and had MyChoice (Anytime) dining in a dedicated MDR where service was fantastic.  We also had the old Deluxe drinks package, which covered almost everything on the bar menus.

Guess that explains it. Need to spend a lot to get a nice cabin and a nice cruise. Not for us. Glad you had a super time.

• Like 2

I have to say I have never quite figured out how MSC allocates the points for money spent.  If I purchase shore excursions, drik packages, etc ahead of time for both of us.  So say I spend $412 on excursions and $658 on drink packages, does that basically get splint in half between both of us?   Is it only onboard spending that then kind of gets linked to whose cruise card was scanned?  We always have just one credit card for both of us, was never certain which of us got credit and after sailing MSC doesn't give you anything to go by to even see if their new calculation is correct.  

1 hour ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I have to say I have never quite figured out how MSC allocates the points for money spent.  If I purchase shore excursions, drik packages, etc ahead of time for both of us.  So say I spend $412 on excursions and $658 on drink packages, does that basically get splint in half between both of us? No it goes the person who made the booking who will have used their club number to get the discount on the cruise.

Is it only onboard spending that then kind of gets linked to whose cruise card was scanned? you can have one card for both occupants or they can each register a card for individual spend    

We always have just one credit card for both of us, was never certain which of us got credit and after sailing MSC doesn't give you anything to go by to even see if their new calculation is correct.  the person who's card was used to pay the account gets the points.

Hope this helps you better understand the system

It's nice if both can get status but it's not that important really, most of the perks are per a cabin, I can only think of the spa treatment and chocolate ship which is per person, the speciality meal was per person but is now per cabin.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, Beamafar said:

Your spouse doesn't have to be a Black Card member to attend the event.  The invitation is to the cabin.

Hi, Bea:  Some cruisers we have met on MSC are sailing in YC on the Meraviglia Cruise you are on, one of them in a Royal Suite.  I wanted to send you their names.  If you have e-mail, can you send me a note at JReynolds@otterbein.edu?  If not, I can send a note to David Sidari, and he can forward it to you, if you two exchange e-mails.

Thanks, John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidless said:

I just applied to transfer my Royal Caribbean status to MSC, have not heard back. I’m Diamond with RC does anyone know what level that would be on MSC? 

According to this thread (at the top of the MSC home page) and the embedded table, RC's Diamond Plus matches to Gold.  Not reflected in the table (I think) is posts #24 who says his/her Diamond Plus matched to Black and #76 matched to Gold.  Looks like Diamond Plus could go either way.  If Diamond is a lower status on RC it will probably match to Gold (but it seems you can never tell with MSC).