Coral Princess library

islandwoman

1 minute ago, islandwoman said:

Does the Coral Princess have a good library?

I'm going to be on her for 34 days, including 19 sea days and I'd like to know whether I need to load up my Nook.

Love the big chairs in there with awesome views!!

As far as book stock it's hard to say.

Hopefully some currently onboard or recently sailed will post. 

10 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

I'm going to be on her for 34 days, including 19 sea days and I'd like to know whether I need to load up my Nook.

For that many days - and a whole lot of other reasons - I would recommend loading several electronic books.  And what might those reasons be?  There is travel to/from the ship.  There are perhaps other times off the ship.  What if you cannot find enough books of interest in the library when you are aboard.  There are several shelves, but you never know what's in.  You can read in bed without having lights on.

Off Coral Princess on August 7th and I can assure you that there are many, many books on the shelves of her Library.  I had brought my own paperback that I had hoped to finish reading and leave on the ship (didn't happen, I just finished it this afternoon at home).  I did not check to see what varieties of books were available, but most of the several shelves had lots of books.

The Library is the place to pick-up the daily quiz and Sudoku puzzle.  It is also the site of the Elite Lounge in late afternoon to early evening.

As Colo Cruiser mentioned, excellent seating with each of the chairs having an adjacent adjustable light.

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

Sailed the coral a couple of months ago. You will not be disappointed with the book selection. 

I was on the Coral in February for 15 days. It was very busy in the library for the first couple of days, a lot of people borrowing books. There was also a book club meeting and they gave out the book: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. There were about 15-20 copies of the book and we met during the second week of the cruise. This was the first time I had participated in something like this and it was fun. I think on a longer cruise there might be two books to discuss. Bottom-line, bring some of your own books as you can't depend on what's there. As others have said the library on the Coral is a lovely way to sit and read for awhile!   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We were on for 60 days last fall.   That was the worst library we have experienced on a ship.  They had plenty of reference books, but very few you could take out.   The other passengers would still around like vultures waiting for someone to drop off one of their own books, then get in arguments about who was there first.   We asked about this and the crew member said there were no books because the guests kept taking them.  We hope this has improved since last fall, but we still take our own books.

5 hours ago, wlewis5038 said:

We were on for 60 days last fall.   That was the worst library we have experienced on a ship.  They had plenty of reference books, but very few you could take out.   The other passengers would still around like vultures waiting for someone to drop off one of their own books, then get in arguments about who was there first.   We asked about this and the crew member said there were no books because the guests kept taking them.  We hope this has improved since last fall, but we still take our own books.

This surely was not my experience in  August of this year.  Yes, there were reference books available, but there were many other titles available for a guest to borrow to read.

I would strongly encourage that any guests that have a paperback or hardback book that they have read to donate the book to the Library's collection.  It expands the ship's collection, obviously, and it ought to help inform Princess and Carnival Corporation ship on-board management that there is still a place on their ships for those who still want to read "a real book" and not one on some media device.

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, islandwoman said:

Good, but no where good enough for 34 days IMHO, unless other pax do a lot of book drop off.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, wlewis5038 said:

On the first day of this cruise, there were a lot of books on the shelf, but by early afternoon, most were gone. I went down around 2 to look and didn't find many left. DW went first thing (about 10:30) and found several. After I saw her stack, I made her take some back the next day. She is a quick reader and was taking a book back of the remainder every few days, Sometimes she would find another, other times not. Unfortunately, we do not read the same genre. I had several eBooks I had bought over the last year and saved for the cruise. On longer cruise they sometimes will have book discussions. You need to watch the Patter for when they distribute these books for reading about a week before the discussion. Usually done once per segment. On the first segment of this cruise they had two different books. On the second segment, only one.

I read one on the first, but was turned off by one person trying to hijack the discussion. DW read one on both though she read the opposite book on the first segment.

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Does the Coral library also carry games like Rummicube/backgammon/monopoly/checkers etc..like the library on Royal class ships?

They did have games, but I didn't look to see where they were. If I remember right, the crew brought out some new Mahjong sets from what I heard from friends.

This was not a good library. If you visit when you get on the ship, you may find some books

to read. Otherwise, the shelves are cleaned out by that evening. We were on the Coral for 14

nights and we are both avid readers. We were grateful we brought our Kindles. 

One week the library could have a good selection of books and the next week not much.  Be it the Coral or any other Princess ship it varies week to week.  Many people seem to think it is okay to get a book from the library and not return it.  We were on the Coral last summer for 2 weeks.  The first week there was a pretty good selection of books when I looked upon boarding.  The 2nd week on the day of boarding the selection had been significantly depleted.  I would definitely suggest loading up your e-reader.  That's what I do but I also check the library to see if there is something there I can read also.

2 hours ago, TM said:

Many people seem to think it is okay to get a book from the library and not return it

That is theft!  When I leave a book in any ship's library after I have finished reading it, I leave it with the intention that future patrons of that library may find my book enjoyable to read during their cruise.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, Gracie115 said:

Does the Coral library also carry games like Rummicube/backgammon/monopoly/checkers etc..like the library on Royal class ships?

I’m planning to bring some games to donate on my Antarctica cruise a little over a year from now. Hoping to find some game players in our Cruise Critic group. Thinking of Rummikub, Mexican Train dominoes (found a travel set, but it’s still pretty heavy), Triominos, Sequence.   —Joan