How late can I board the Grand ?

Linycruise

Hello,

I am on the Grand in a few weeks out of San Francisco. I work 3 block from the port and would like to work up until I need to board.

I see that the ship sails at 4pm but I do not see any instruction on when I need to be on board by. Can I board at 3:20 without any problem.

I wanted to put in an 8 hour day at work.

Thanks for your help, Liny

50 minutes ago, Linycruise said:

Hello,

I am on the Grand in a few weeks out of San Francisco. I work 3 block from the port and would like to work up until I need to board.

I see that the ship sails at 4pm but I do not see any instruction on when I need to be on board by. Can I board at 3:20 without any problem.

I wanted to put in an 8 hour day at work.

Thanks for your help, Liny

Unless there is a delay, I think everyone needs to be onboard at least an hour prior to their sailing time.  The muster drill must be held prior to heading out to see now and believe that is scheduled for 3 PM (or thereabouts).  

To be on the safe side, I would plan on being ready to board around 2 PM ... and no later than 2:45 PM for a 4 PM sail time.  

I think that would be pushing it awful close with your timing. Why work that much on the day of a cruise?  I would at least try to be there by 2PM as there is the muster drill to be taken care of. Also the ship must provide a manifest a certain amount of time before sailing.

• Like 2

This is from the Travel Summary on a standard booking:

CHECK-IN REQUIREMENTS FOR DEPARTURES FROM U.S. PORTS

You are required to provide complete and accurate immigration information in advance of your cruise via the Cruise Personalizer at princess.com up to 2 days prior to sailing. If you have not provided your details in advance you MUST be checked-in no later than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time or you will be denied boarding.

It also says that the last boarding group is 2:45 pm, for a 4:00 pm sailing.  I wouldn't cut it any closer than that, even if you have completed your Cruise Personalizer. 

In my experience, if the ship is on time, the gangway is pulled up 30 minutes prior to sailing.  I wouldn't wait until 3:20 pm to test it. 

Edited by partybarbie
  • Like 1

If you want to put in 8 hours maybe ask the boos unless you are the boss to just come in early then get off earlier.

I do this in the summer because in the sac valley the temps in the summer can get up to 107 like last week and if I start at 630 ill get off at 2 instead of 4 its the same hours vs coolerish temps. If the customer says no we cant start at 630 (which they rarely do) we just work more days at shorter hours. but most allow us to because they dont like people being that hot.

8 hours is 8 hours unless you are like a day trader... then I guess it wont work. but its an option.

2 hours ago, toads45froggy said:

8 hours is 8 hours unless you are like a day trader... then I guess it wont work. but its an option.

If he is a day trader then he can use the internet from the ship to continue his trading 😉

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

If he is a day trader then he can use the internet from the ship to continue his trading 😉

true.. But I think they want to disconnect and not do work on a vacation at all. but i forget people work like that.. I have learned when I need to work and when I need to relax cause my body is smashed up from construction.

3 minutes ago, toads45froggy said:

true.. But I think they want to disconnect and not do work on a vacation at all. but i forget people work like that.. I have learned when I need to work and when I need to relax cause my body is smashed up from construction.

I don't understand people who answer email or phone calls from work when they are on vacation. If they do that they are not actually on vacation.

On the other hand I have heard of a day trader that spends all his time on cruise ships. He does not need to maintain a household and it is less expensive than living in a resort hotel. I can see doing that if one is in perfect health.

I would not get to the ship any later than 3 pm.  Why chance it.

Plus I think I read some where they said to board by that time. Muster Drill at 3:15- 3:30. Might not be able to board.

No way can you board at 3:35 pm. Go to work early, don't take lunch..get off work early. Enjoy your cruise!

Are you kidding, you are basically missing a half day of your cruise. My sister-in-law was like that, getting on at the last minute. Her last cruise she finally got on at noon and couldn't all she had been missing.   

The cruise line has to file its passenger manifest no later than 60 minutes before sailing. Muster drill is normally held around 3:15 for a 4pm sailing. Suggest you board by 2:30pm, 3pm latest.

Edited by skynight