Intimidation vs Tipping

rattanchair

18 minutes ago, April42749 said:

But...how does the fare compare? 

Increased to include the DSC, effective from June 25th. Those who booked before this date still have the DSC charged daily and can still remove the charges should they feel the need for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

charged daily and can still remove the charges should they feel the need for whatever reason.

Thank you Sid.   DSC Daily Service Charges can be removed for whatever reason. The 'holy' mantra of the cruising 'elite'.

Somehow my Muse brought to mind 'Rabby' Burn's "Holy Willie's Prayer" and why he wrote it.  Allow me to treat you to his last stanza of this masterwork; "But, Lord, remember me and mine,

With mercies temporal and divine,

So that I for grace and wealth may shine,

Excelled by none.

And all the glory shall be Thine."

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

My hero was the guest services person that looked the complainer in the eye and responded, "You are not on Carnival.  Next" looking at the next person on line (which was me).

I'm not going to comment on the tipping aspect of this thread, but would like to comment on the above quote from Homosassa who has quoted a MSC guest service representative. 

Telling a customer 'you are not on Carnival' and then abruptly dismissing them is a perfect example of what I mean when I try to explain to others that the 'guest isn't always right on MSC".  I suspect this may also be a reason that MSC has such low rankings when it comes to customer service. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not going to comment on the tipping aspect of this thread, but would like to comment on the above quote from Homosassa who has quoted a MSC guest service representative. 

Telling a customer 'you are not on Carnival' and then abruptly dismissing them is a perfect example of what I mean when I try to explain to others that the 'guest isn't always right on MSC".  I suspect this may also be a reason that MSC has such low rankings when it comes to customer service. 

You know, as a former small business owner I respect any business that doesn't go with "the customer is always right".   There are people who need to complain about everything.  The customers who think "they are always right" generally are totally wrong.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, April42749 said:

You know, as a former small business owner I respect any business that doesn't go with "the customer is always right".   There are people who need to complain about everything.  The customers who think "they are always right" generally are totally wrong.

I don’t disagree with you there, however we own our own business too- and as much as we may like to say the above to customers and dismiss their concerns entirely, we never have. 

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don’t disagree with you there, however we own our own business too- and as much as we may like to say the above to customers and dismiss their concerns entirely, we never have. 

I understand....but one ends up spending too much time and not making enough money.

I had a tax prep business.  Whenever I had "a problem client" I wrote "banned" next to their name and dropped them the next year.  (To be transparent....I was in a financial position that allowed me to pick and choose my clients.)  It was always my fault if someone owed tax!  Once it was because of me that someone couldn't buy a house!!!   I have a long list of customers who were wrong....even though they thought they were right....lol.

• Like 2

I was also in a customer service related business.  Once in a while, we were forced to ask a client to find another agent.  It was amazing how suddenly they considered our service to be worthy of their business.   One gentleman actually became a loyal client when I explained that he would need to leave the office as we would not tolerate yelling or belittling anyone on the staff.  He immediately changed his attitude.  This elderly, cranky, curmudgeon turned into a sweet guy.   Years later, we actually laughed about his initial visit when I "gave him hell" (his words.)  It doesn't cost anything to treat a customer with respect. 

There is an interesting post on the NCL board describing a woman who is upset because they banned her from the cruise line...for life.   

11 hours ago, sidari said:

Just for those who are not up to date, for UK cruisers making a booking with MSC the daily service charge is included in the cruise fare regardless of where the ship is sailing.

Exactly ...wasted ten mins of my valuable time reading this tosh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

You know the people even worse than the depicted tip dodgers?

Authors of posts like this ...FACT

I couldn’t give a monkey’s what other people do about tipping - none of my business. I have enough trouble living my own life without telling other people how to live theirs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Thank you Sid.   DSC Daily Service Charges can be removed for whatever reason. The 'holy' mantra of the cruising 'elite'.

Somehow my Muse brought to mind 'Rabby' Burn's "Holy Willie's Prayer" and why he wrote it.  Allow me to treat you to his last stanza of this masterwork; "But, Lord, remember me and mine,

With mercies temporal and divine,

So that I for grace and wealth may shine,

Excelled by none.

And all the glory shall be Thine."

The DSC cannot be removed for bookings from June 25th!

1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Sid, Is this a good or a bad thing in your most humble opinion ?

As someone who has never removed the DSC on any cruise line it is a none issue for me, by including the DSC in the fare people know they do not have to worry about it come the end of the cruise and can if they feel it right still give a tip to someone they feel has gone beyond for them.

The problem is that should there be a genuine reason for wanting to remove the DSC it has now become difficult to do so as it has with Costa cruises.

1 hour ago, sidari said:

As someone who has never removed the DSC on any cruise line it is a none issue for me, by including the DSC in the fare people know they do not have to worry about it come the end of the cruise and can if they feel it right still give a tip to someone they feel has gone beyond for them.

The problem is that should there be a genuine reason for wanting to remove the DSC it has now become difficult to do so as it has with Costa cruises.

Well stated.

Step #3   Buy A lanyard.

Many passengers purchase a lanyard to have handy access to their seapass/room key card by hanging it around the neck. High status passengers receive distinguishing different colored S/R cards which if kept in the pocket provides little intimidating value. The lanyard hung around the neck like an amulet, or necklace of extreme value, or even like the breastplate of a high Kahuna; protects the owner from 'having' to tip. It also advertises to the hoi polloi on board just 'who you are'.

Homemade lanyards are acceptable, even preferred by this class. The guadier  tend to stand out more and attract more attention. Preferred, because they cost so much less than the $10-$15 ship logo lanyards.

A few cruise lines have loyalty programs such as MSC's Voyager Club. A list of perks exists and with each level of higher status attained, more perks. Somewhere on this lists of perks is written ( I think it begins at the lowest level) that these passengers no longer are to tip the wait staff, even in the event of exceptional service. They are just doing their job. 'Must spare the dollar, than spoil the domestic.'

20 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Step #3   Buy A lanyard.

Many passengers purchase a lanyard to have handy access to their seapass/room key card by hanging it around the neck. High status passengers receive distinguishing different colored S/R cards which if kept in the pocket provides little intimidating value. The lanyard hung around the neck like an amulet, or necklace of extreme value, or even like the breastplate of a high Kahuna; protects the owner from 'having' to tip. It also advertises to the hoi polloi on board just 'who you are'.

Homemade lanyards are acceptable, even preferred by this class. The guadier  tend to stand out more and attract more attention. Preferred, because they cost so much less than the $10-$15 ship logo lanyards.

A few cruise lines have loyalty programs such as MSC's Voyager Club. A list of perks exists and with each level of higher status attained, more perks. Somewhere on this lists of perks is written ( I think it begins at the lowest level) that these passengers no longer are to tip the wait staff, even in the event of exceptional service. They are just doing their job. 'Must spare the dollar, than spoil the domestic.'

Hey Rattan 

Did you used to have another user name??your posts are very similar to those by someone with a user name with Boy in it???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Step #3   Buy A lanyard.

Congratulations you’ve succeeded and reached the exalted status of lanyard wearer in chief - no flies on you!

44 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

Hey Rattan 

Did you used to have another user name??your posts are very similar to those by someone with a user name with Boy in it???

No. But thanks for the compliment, I think.  It does give me solace to know there are other like- minded individuals on the CC boards.

49 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Congratulations you’ve succeeded and reached the exalted status of lanyard wearer in chief - no flies on you!

Sorry, I do not wear a lanyard. I simply tape my s/r card to my forehead. You must have missed that post on another thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikkiw60 said:

Hey Rattan 

It is an ancient Mxxxxxr, and he stoppeth one of three. 
He went like one that hath been stunned, and is of sense forlorn:
A sadder and a wiser man, he rose the morrow morn.
  • Haha 1